Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How far can i upgrade my 2001/2002 desktop?

Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2011 3:46:58 AM

Hello, my pc currently has pentium
IV 1.4 (or 5) Ghz CPU. Video card is 64MB TNT....RAM is 764MB....I'm not sure what kind of motherboard installed so have to apologize for that.

My qs is, how far i can upgrade this pc to the maximum WITHOUT changing the motherboard, if its possible in the first place to do so?

If can, would you please tell me what CPU, video card, etc. i can still buy? Will they be cheap?

Also, can i buy a new motherboard of recent years and fit it into my tower?

I plan to do some HD video and pictures processing, along with some movies in HD, some games and maybe also want to hook up to TV for family viewing.

Thanks ahead to all who reply.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2011 3:59:49 AM

I love using old equipment as long as possible BUT
your system is just too old to do what you want it to do (HD video etc)
HD video will strain a Core2Duo which is much more powerful than anything
you can put in that motherboard
The money you would have to put into that tower to even get close to what you want
would just as much as buying a cheap new tower
I dont know what country your in but for example in USA you can get brand new factory tower for 350-400 USD which would blow away your old tower.

Old parts actually will cost more than modern parts
I had an old Pentium 4 based tower with agp and IDE and the AGP video cards cost more than much more powerful PCI-Express cards
also sata hard drives are cheaper than IDE new

If you have Craigslist or similar used classifieds (toms has it also) then look into buying a used tower if money is low

Nowadays you can buy a Core2Duo system for easily under $200 USD used
You would spend more upgrading your old tower and it still couldnt do what you want
It is basically an email and internet browser tower

April 22, 2011 5:58:30 AM

king smp said:
I love using old equipment as long as possible BUT
your system is just too old to do what you want it to do (HD video etc)
HD video will strain a Core2Duo which is much more powerful than anything
you can put in that motherboard
The money you would have to put into that tower to even get close to what you want
would just as much as buying a cheap new tower
I dont know what country your in but for example in USA you can get brand new factory tower for 350-400 USD which would blow away your old tower.

Old parts actually will cost more than modern parts
I had an old Pentium 4 based tower with agp and IDE and the AGP video cards cost more than much more powerful PCI-Express cards
also sata hard drives are cheaper than IDE new

If you have Craigslist or similar used classifieds (toms has it also) then look into buying a used tower if money is low

Nowadays you can buy a Core2Duo system for easily under $200 USD used
You would spend more upgrading your old tower and it still couldnt do what you want
It is basically an email and internet browser tower

Hi, thank you for ur advice...ya, i'll just leave it alone as an internet browser tower from now on. Anyway, i'm from malaysia...just next to singapore. :)  Thanks again for the good advice.
Score
Related resources
April 22, 2011 5:59:24 AM

Best answer selected by Seeking Help_90.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 3:38:41 AM

Thank you for selecting me as best answer
I am horrible at geography but if singapore is close then from what I understand it
is a major trade/export/import center and I would think you would be able to find cheap used towers there
look for one that is full sized tower (atx) and with a decent power supply
so you could use for future systems
anything with Pentium D,Core2Duo and up will have sata hard drives
and dvd/cd drives to be used later

Keep in my that I am an ignorant American so I dont know if this advice is useful :) 
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2011 9:09:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!