Testing Motherboard

jr1096

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hello,
I found an ASUS M2N-E SLI motherboard in the trash a couple of years ago. I just looked it up today and found that it is a pretty good motherboard. The motherboard it self is in immaculate condition. I want to use it to make a gaming PC.

I found the right power supply for the motherboard. I also bought a speaker off ebay to test to hear POST sounds/beeps.

When I plug it into the power supply, a green LED comes on. No sounds from the speaker, nothing. I am assuming at this point I need a power switch to actually turn it on?

jr1096

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Ahh, so I need a CPU too! There's a used Phenom X4 9500 for sale nearby where I live. It's compatible with this board. Should I take the risk and pick it up?

jr1096

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Oh man you really need all that to test it? I shorted the power switch and the power supply fan started running, if that helps any.
AMD Phenom x4 HD9500WCJ4BGD is on the list though.

Your test only proves that the PSU is working. I don't know where you found that the AMD Phenom x4 HD9500WCJ4BGD is on the list; it fits socket AM2, but that doesn't make it compatible with that motherboard. The list at Asus doesn't include any X4. According to the specs: "Support AMD® Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64/ Sempron" Where did you see that a Phenom X4 is supported?

To test a motherbaord, you need to boot an OS and make sure that everything works properly (LAN, sound, video, SATA controller, etc.) Why do you think the motherboard was in the trash? I would presume that's because it's defective, but you need to find out what's wrong with it, if any.

I've thrown motherboards in the trash, but I wrote "Defective" with a black marker to make sure that nobody would pick them up and assume they are working fine.

jr1096

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Thanks, I really thought I saw the X4 on there. I'll put it to the curb then.

fredchesbro

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Any time I see an ASUS Main board, I think it should be in the garbage if not already! I have a P5G41C-M LX which has been in the shop numerous times at great expense. Have written to ASUS and never get a reply. Now it's a year old, Philippine warranty is useless, The TOTAL time on the board is about 20 hours. (I use my Lanovo laptop now) ASUS has to be the most USELESS company with the worst products ever. I will NEVER buy ANYTHING with their name on it!! :fou:
pooldog@gmx.com