so i noticed something when i was working on the computer with the side door to the case off. the computer worked fine UNTIL i put the side door back on it. as soon as the door came in contact with the case (even just a corner of the door) the computer would freeze.
i have an antec 300 series case
this only happens if i try to take off the side door and put it back on the case. if the door is on the case already when i start it up everything is fine.
sure it works if i dont touch it...but this worries me because im wondering if there is some grounding issue that might make problems for me in the future.
anyone have any ideas of something i can check or test to get rid of this problem?
You might need to re-mount your mobo, did you use the sticky foam separators when setting your mobo, you might want to think about that.
Otherwise, not sure - though it could be your front panel connection to the mobo.
If you live in a dry climate, theres a higher chance of static, so maybe get a humidifier for your working environment.
I have only ever had static problems when I somehow got a static spark into the electronics of the system itself. Examples include:
* Big fat spark when reaching for the keyboard on a laptop. This caused an HP laptop to go dark until I shipped back for a mobo replacement. It has never caused a problem with any of the Thinkpads I have owned. (And was why I only owned one HP laptop. )
* Spark to USB port when plugging in the cable for an MP3 player. This caused the system to lock up and require a reboot. There was no evident permanent damage.
My SOP is to touch the case on a PC before plugging in USB cables to discharge static. On laptops I touch some plastic part before hitting the keys or touchpad. There seems to be enough conductivity built into the palm rest to equalize and prevent the spark. I occasionally get some awesome sparks but they have never caused any problem.
I have never installed any of my motherboards with any sort of insulation on the standoffs. If that's standard practice now, it is new to me.
If your system locks up with a static shock to the case, somehow the static is getting into the mobo or PSU electronics. I would think that a well grounded mobo would help with this as it would provide a path to ground from any external connections. Also make sure the PSU is properly grounded. You might even check the ground for the outlet as these are not always properly connected. Any H/W store will have little plug in dongles that will check that an outlet is properly wired. Some power strips also have indicators for this.
In any case,, lockup from a static spark to the case is not normal and is something you need to diagnose and fix. Each time that happens you risk permanent damage to your system.
A good way of getting rid of static electricity is touching running water (remember to dry your hands!).
If even after getting rid of the static you are experiencing the same problems, perhaps you can check that the power supply is correctly installed. Switch everything off, unplug the PSU, check that the cables coming out of it are not bare. See if there are any non sleeved cables touching anything (including non insulated connectors lying around the case).
If this doesn't solve the problem, I'd suggest unplugging all the front case cables (except the power/restart controls) and removing any non essential components.
Otherwise, uninstall the PSU completely, reinstall it. If even this fails, borrow a PSU from somebody and test it with all the same components.
If nothing works, and you notice you give strong electric shocks to other things as well, I'd consider applying to the X-men