Sign in with
Your question

Looking for quiet HTCP graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2010 5:12:10 AM

I'm looking for a quiet HTCP graphics card for under $200. I need something that has 2 DVI ports in the back. Someone before recommended the 5770 but I'm not sure which might be the quietest from all the manufactures on amazon.

For now, the only concern is HD movie watching. 1080p, mkv, etc. In a couple months will be adding a blu ray drive and start watching blu ray discs. Right now, no gaming considerations.

In the future, I might want to play single player games like flight simulator or racing simulators. I'm not much of a gamer so don't mind lower FPS or whatever (I grew up gaming on the apple IIe, so I don't mind inferior graphics).

Anyone with any recommendations? Preferably a card I can buy off amazon? I'm replacing a 9800 GT 1gig card because 1080p playback just doesn't seem smooth. It's not jerky, but I was told ATI handles HD better.
November 26, 2010 5:27:29 AM

I dont think there is a quiet gpu under..However the 5770 is already ok for your home theater..You can also add a good sound card..
m
l
November 26, 2010 3:21:12 PM

Is the 5770 still recommended? I saw a chart somewhere that seemed low on the noise level just by itself.

What about the fan system, is there anything I should look for? I think I seen many versions with one big fan, a couple with 2 small fans, and some more with the fan encased in a rectange box. Might one be more preferred for quietness, or should I just go with the cheapest one since I'm not going to care how it looks?
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2010 3:28:25 PM

computers nowadays are like vacuum cleaners..Yes you can say they are much more quieter in comparison to other cards but they arent that much quiet that you wont hear them at all..
m
l
November 26, 2010 3:32:33 PM

Yeah, I know that. This is just my next major upgrade so just looking for something that might be quieter. I'll just still look at the 5770 line and read reviews for the different manufactures and see what others think. Thanks for responding :) 
m
l
!