11 errors in MemTest86 after 1hr44min; should I be worried?

tisue001

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I'm running MemTest86 v4.0a on my Dell Studio XPS16 with RAM that I upgraded (G.Skill 8gb DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24) because I want to compare it to the new computer I'm about to build in a couple days when the parts arrive. After 1hr44mins of running the test, it shows it's encountered 11 errors... I've never used MemTest before so I'm not familiar with how it works or what I should take from it, so I'm wondering if 11 errors is a really bad thing, or just a not so good thing but something I could live with? I bought the G.Skill RAM a while back and have been using it for months now, maybe close to a year even.

Should I be worried about this?

I'm going to let MemTest run overnight and see how it looks in the morning, also.

Here's a photo of the test results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40346905@N08/6585937945/

Thanks for any insight.

His pic.
6585937945_ae95170a03.jpg

tisue001

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for the replies, guys.

jsc - I'm not sure if I'm able to change the voltage; I'll check that out tonight.

DogSnake - you misunderstood my post: I'm not going to use this memory in the new build. I just wanted to compare my current system's performance to the new build (a gaming and production desktop). I will have new RAM in the new build. So this laptop will become more of my secondary computer now.

nikorr - thanks for putting my pic up; I'm not sure why I wasn't able to myself..

I let memtest run through the night and after ~10+ hours when I checked it again it was up to 48 errors.

Should I bother contacting G.Skill over something like this or should I just not worry about it, especially since I'm about to build a new desktop?

tisue001

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks, nikorr, I'll try the photo thing again.

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics and it never came up with any errors. It also didn't show any results after the computer restarted though either.. But right up to the end of the test it didn't show any errors.

I might just contact G.Skill anyway and see what they say.

If it was me, I'd exchange it, just in case....

For the picture, quick check if all is OK, is the BBCode next to the report button.