Best 3D gaming monitor

nick_83

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi.
I am in the market for a 3D gaming monitor, looking around 20 - 23 inches and a budget of 1.6K for a monitor, glasses and new GPU if needed.
Which monitor is best?
I'm looking at the Asus VG236H, Alienware Optiplex AW2310, viewsonic V3D241wm-LED, or samsung.
Which one of these is best?
Anyone know of any good stores too buy these from?
I'm thinking of getting another 480GTX to go with my 470, MSY have those for 500 AUD but sadly they do not stock 3D monitors or glasses.
Every PC store i have been to refuses to stock them because of the "imminent lawsuits." they claim people can get really sick using 3D monitors and that it can rot the optic nerves thats why they refuse to stock them.
I'm leaning towards the AW2310 but have heard the ghosting is really bad on it.

Also when I'm playing my games my GPU temp is around 70, if i add a new 480 will it add too much heat?
I just dont want to go spending all this cash preparing my rig for 3D than having it constantly overheat, causing me to have to spend several hundred more on cooling solutions.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
If you're talking about adding the 480 in SLI with your 470, you can't do that. You can only add the exact same card in SLI. However, you can add another type of card for dedicated PhysX, but that's a different story.

It is true that excessive 3D gaming is harmful for the eyes and can impact the retina/ nerves. However, a session every now and then should be ok. The Asus one looks good to me so I'll recommend that one. Alienware products are somewhat overpriced imo.

nick_83

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Thats what i thought, but MSY spent a good half hour arguing to me you can SLI cards as long as there the same series, IE a 400 with a 400, 200 with 200.
If i bought another 470 would that be enough for 3D?
or maybe ill have to sell my 470 and grab a 580, though there seriously expensive here around 800 bucks!

I only play games maybe 2 hours a week, I'm studying game programming at tafe so i dont get much time to game unfortunately.

Adding another 470 so i have 2 in SLI should not increase my heat too much should it?
I was playing Mafia 2 tonight for 3 hours and my GPU temp got up to 78 degrees!

Also does the Nvidia 3D kit work with the ps3?
I'm really tossing up if i should get this, or wait a year or so and get a 3D TV because most of my gaming is done on my ps3.
If you can use 3D monitors to play ps3 games in 3D than its a double win, otherwise i dunno i may wait a little.

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I think you can sli different cards of same series, for example: 470 and 480, but both cards will work on the clock speeds of the 470, so it's the same as 2x470. 470's in sli should be enough for 3D, but I would be concerned about the heat. It might be a good idea to wait for the 560/570's, at least that's what I'll do.

No, you can't SLi a 470 with a 480.

nick_83

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
580s run cooler than 470s don't they?
cant remember where i read that, but i think it was on a 580 review.
I don't want to go for a 560 or 570 because than exactly what has happened now will happen, ill want to SLI another card and it will be pointless because it wont give me sufficient power boost.
At least if i go with a 580 now i know come 12 months time or so i can get another 580 and that will be sufficient, since lets be honest i cant see any game requiring more than 1 580 for years to come!

nick_83

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
for the 580 who should i go with?
Never going with ASUS again, had problems with there 470 i bought rang them up 6 times and each time they said I'm sorry we don't offer support for hardware only our laptops.
WTF?
how can you sell something without offering support for it!
I have heard EVGA are the best, never used one of there products before.
Should i go with EVGA, MSI or gigabyte?

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hmm...you know, that 'is' strange coming from Asus, coz its a pretty good brand! Neways, I would recommend MSI. Their stuff is really great! Second, EVGA. Lastly, GB.

If possible, see if you can get one of them Twin Frozr II versions from MSI. They have excellent cooling and the noise levels are really low.

nick_83

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
EVGA and MSI are really hard too find here, just checked my usual PC retailers and none of them stock them.
ASUS and gigabyte they have but not MSI or EVGA.
Never going with ASUS again, had a M50SA worse laptop i ever owned only had it for a year and every month or so had to send it in for repairs!
probably wont buy it for another month so hopefully by then stock will start creeping in.