GeForce 7600GT AGP bottlenecked by Athlon 64 @ 2.0 GHz?

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Hi, a friend of mine offered to sell me a cheap GeForce 7600GT AGP graphics card. My PC specs are:

- Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.0 GHz, socket 754
- Motherboard: ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
- Memory: 1 GB DDR RAM @ 333MHz
- Monitor: Samsung 755DFX CRT, 1024x768
- Graphics Card: Radeon 9200, 128 MB DDR, 128 bit bus
- PSU: Corsair 400CX

This is my secondary PC, which I use for playing older games in multiplayer over LAN with my brother. I want to play Anno 1701, Company of Heroes, Titan Quest, Heroes V and maybe Blood Bowl.

My question is: will the new graphics card be bottlenecked by the processor? Is the new card too much for this system?

No - it should be a good fit for that system -- I had a 7800GS (pretty much the same performance as a 7600GT) with an AMD 3200+ on a socket 754 system and it was a great combo at the time (it might be a slight bottleneck for the GPU since it is running at only 2GHz. but not so much that it is not worth the investment (if as you say it is cheap) -- though the true bottleneck would probably more be the AGP slot itself and not the CPU --- But it will be a good improvement over the current GPU so well worth a small investment for playing older games. ( Just remember that the AGP cards need o use an older version of the Nvidia drivers - they dropped support with the newer versions so get one of the older archived versions that have support for AGP cards.)