Sign in with
Your question

Worth an upgrade?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2011 12:33:24 PM

Wonder if you guys can shed any light as I haven't actually kept up with the new CPU sockets, their capabilities and the new motherboards. I have been reading the last couple of days however about the new Sandbybridge CPU's and wonder if now is a good time to actually upgrade. None of the bechmarks I have found are relative to what I have at the moment so I need someone in the know who can say yay or nay if it's worth it.

I have an X6800 @ 3.5ghz, coupled with an EVGA 680i SLi and 4GB Corsair Dominator RAM.

I am looking at going for a 2500k, an Asus P8P67 Pro and 8GB Corsair RAM.

I have a HD5870 and game at 1920 x 1200, the system is put under the most stress when gaming, I am not into video editing and the compression of large files.

Any advice appreciated, cheers!

More about : worth upgrade

April 22, 2011 12:53:31 PM

Hi R4ekwon and welcome to Tom's Hardware forums.

You will see quite a measurable performance increase by upgrading to a 2500k in most other tasks as well as gaming, but I'm not sure the price of the upgrade justifies your main goal - To play games.

Yes, you will see a fantastic performance increase in some games that use more than 2 cores (such as GTA4), but what it really comes down to is if your happy with your games performance.

If this was me, I would take the dive and make the upgrade but I do a lot more than game with my system.

If I was you, I would only upgrade if I'm having slowdown problems in games that don't have good graphics (such as Minecraft or Supreme commander games, or even the GTA's).
April 22, 2011 1:23:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.

What has prompted me is that I did have the CPU running at 3.7GHZ for a couple of years but I think the high voltage has taken it's toll on the board and/or the cpu and the only way I can keep it stable now is by running it @ 3.5GHZ. The difference between the two might seem minor but in GTA4 it goes from being a 35-40fps playable game to a frame rate hovering around 30-32 and sometimes even lower which feels really sluggish. Having not built a new PC in 5 years I thought now seemed like quite a good time but PC gaming seems to have changed so much that there are no longer a deluge of system breaking games on a yearly basis, which has left me quite content with just upgrading the graphics card to keep in line with latest software.

Pricing it up it's only around £350, it's more the hassle of rebuilding my raid... but I think you have probably convinced me by saying what I hoped you would, in that it wouldn't be a complete waste of money.
!