Sign in with
Your question

$1600 Tax rebate SB build

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2011 4:22:52 AM

Hi guys. I'm looking to ditch this old fossil and upgrade to a multi core desktop. Hopefully this one will also get me 6 years of life.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month

Budget Range: ~1600 before rebates/taxes/shipping etc

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, some video editing, movies, paper wieght

Parts Not Required: keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes (eventually)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Don't know much about cases here but this one seems to fit the bill just fine. I really don't need a full size fancy anything, just something to put stuff in.

PSU:
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - I have the 850 so I can upgrade and overclock with ease, however I have a two year old Corsair TX750W that I could use before upgrading to SLI/XF. Thoughts?

CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K - Better for video editing than a 2500k? I plan on keeping this sucker for awhile if that makes any difference.

Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm - I've seen this thrown around a lot but it doesn't seem to sit as well as it used to on the charts. Suggestions?

Mobo:
ASRock P67 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - Don't know a huge amount here. I've seen it recommended a few times.

GPU:
SAPPHIRE 100311SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity - I understand this is mostly a matter of preference between the 570 and the 6970? I'm not particularly sold AMD or NVIDIA but they appear to be mostly equal on the benchmarks. The 580 is not necessarily off the table either. Whichever I get I plan getting another when the prices come down.

HD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - 2 for raid?

Drive:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Monitor:
ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Looking for a 24"-27". Definitely open to suggestions here but am looking at budget monitors. Would like to go multiple at some point which is why I went with AMD in the GPU.

I've got a mouse and Windows 7 thrown in as well for another $120 or so.

On a side note, what does one do with an old computer? Just toss it?
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+
some 512mb sticks of ram
old 3850 VGA GPU
Abit KV8 Pro

Thanks for reading!

More about : 1600 tax rebate build

January 25, 2011 4:41:23 AM

Don't bother upgrading the PSU. Your 750TX will be fine, even with SLI, unless you get the absolute highest-powered cards and play games 12 hours a day. Edit: And in the extremely unlikely circumstance that you do have problems, you can always upgrade then.

You aren't likely to notice much difference with the 2600K over the 2500K; certainly not enough to justify the 50% higher price.

MB, RAM, HD all fine.

The GTX 570 and the HD 6970 are very similar in price and performance. Each has its own slight advantages. For myself I would go for the 6970 because it can run up to 6 monitors off one card. (Unlikely to make a difference to most people.) It also has a bit more memory, which helps if you're playing at very high resolutions and/or on multiple monitors. On the other hand, the GTX 570 can usually be had a bit cheaper, and IIRC works better with 3d monitors. (IIRC) You really can't go wrong either way. Another option if you want to save some cash is to flash a 6950 to a 6970, which has been reported to work very well. Of course, that will void the warranty.

The 212 is still a great cooler for the price. There are slightly higher performance and slightly quieter coolers out there, but most of them are twice the price or more. (If you do want to bump it up though, I'd recommend this for not too much more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . The only downside is that it may interfere with the large heatspreaders on the RAM you chose, so I'd go with this RAM instead in that case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

I'd put your old comp up on craigslist. Even if you don't get a ton for it, best thing about selling on CL is that someone will come to your house and pick it up. Low effort = teh win. :) 
*Shameless plug - see my sig if you want to search craigslist more easily...
January 25, 2011 3:06:10 PM

Thanks for the response

I wondered about the 2500k vs the 2600k. The reason I chose the 2600k is the additional 4 threads I assumed would help with video editing. Admitably I haven't done the most research but is this not likely to be the case? How about long term, is it likely to become more of an issue with upgrades?

I saw the flash trick for 6950 to 6970 but I'd rather not void the warrenty. I'm guessing that being able to flash it up will probably not work after they apply a patch/bios update? Don't really know much about it but I'm strongly leaning towards paying a little more up front and worrying less.

I like the cooler/ram suggestion. Realistically how much of a difference would I see from the 212 to the scythe?

And I guess it can't hurt to pawn off the old computer on someone else, even if just for parts. I'm thinking maybe 20 bucks lol. Especially if it comes without any HD or PSU.
January 25, 2011 8:32:44 PM

It would depend on whether the program you use for editing supports hyperthreading. I'm doubtful. Even if so though, you'd likely see ~20% improvement for 50% higher price.

When you flash the graphics card you replace the bios, so it's unlikely they could remove the ability through firmware. (The only possibility would be releasing new 6970 firmware that is somehow incompatible with the 6950. But the whole point is that they're basically the same hardware, so that's unlikely.) What is more likely is that they will make an actual hardware change, so 6950s bought in the future won't have this ability.

That said, I hear you about not wanting to void the warranty to save a few bucks. I'm planning to leave my 6950 alone, then maybe flash up sometime in the future to extend its useful life a bit. (Free upgrade! :)  )

The Scythe is a better cooler, which should get you a bit more of an overclock. How much more I don't know. If you don't care about getting the max OC, either will work. However, the Scythe is only $10 more, and the better heatsink and better fan will also allow it to run quieter. The only real down-side is that it's larger and purportedly harder to install.
!