UEA Change, Please Discuss

The following is the subject of some brainstorming of ideas for changes
in the UEA. This is only a discussion, they are not set in stone. I
know there is a lot, so if you going to reply on one area, cut all the
other stuff out in your reply.

Greg Bahr
UEA Creator

First, some Ship related changes

Warrant Class Assault Ship
Hull cost = 1050
LW = 4 @ 40KTs
Tow = 0
Max Hull Speed = 380
Drop Mine Sweeper
Add Grav Accelerator
Pod Bays = 0
Warp Sig = 110
Hull Trait = Combat Computer negates UEA 1/2 Kill damage and modifies
Merculite Rockets
Merculite Missile Combat Computer
Merculites can fire at fighters that are within the Merculite range
(400)
Damage to fighters is equal to Micro Missile Launcher
Charge time 1/2 (6)
Armor Drain = 0
If there is any damage to ship hull, Merculites will arc thru armor(any
amount) and do system damage.
"Merculite Rockets (Modified for Warrant)

Fire and forget rockets with a gamma ray bomb warhead. Widely used as
an anti personnel weapon to soften up enemy ships before boarding
parties attempt to capture the vessel. The gamma ray bomb warhead has
been modified to detonate as a small web field and release EMP pulses.

Very vulnerable to point defense fire. The weapon has good accuracy,
uses 3 ordnance units per shot, does a fair amount of damage to control
systems, does a fair amount of damage to engines, is very deadly to
target crew members and takes very little energy to fire, only 12gw,
but does no damage to target armor. If there is damage to the ship's
hull, the EMP pulse will arc thru the Armor to deliver it's system
damage" - Description modified from v4 Help files

---

Hammer Class Troop Carrier
Mass = 70
Armor = 250
Battalion Class Troop Carrier
Mass = 98
Armor = 500

Hammer and Battalion:
New Device = Assault Landing = Disables end of turn Dust off and lands
all Assault Pods on the planet it ends the turn over. Pods are not
subject to Combat VCR unless Troop Carrier is destroyed (Aren't Pods
that are docked to a ship that is destroyed killed with the ship.
Hross Mine Field Resistance X4

---

Ranger Station
New Device "Repair Dock"
Only works when owned by UEA
Only works on UEA Native hulls
Completely repairs ship that is the tow target in one turn.
Uses the amount of repair units the target ship would require to repair
itself from the Rangers supply.

---
Fighter Changes
(##) = previous stat

AS-480 Assault Fighter

Attack Air 190
Attack Ground Troops 50 (150)
Attack Cities 45 (85)
Attack Ground Units 30 (80)
Defense From Air Attack 120 (20)
Defense From Ground Troops 55 (10)
Defense From Ground Units 35 (10)
Beam Weapons 80 (60)
Missile Weapons 65
Accuracy Beams 70
Accuracy Missile 85
Range Beams 200
Range Missile 400
Ord Load 160
Travel Range (LY) 310
Armor 15 (8)
Evasive Bonus 30
Attack Bonus 60
Generator 15
Battery 200
Combat Quickness 100
Cost 200

DOA-187x Bomber

Attack Air 10
Attack Ground Troops 70
Attack Cities 225
Attack Ground Units 180
Defense From Air Attack 40 (20)
Defense From Ground Troops 40 (20)
Defense From Ground Units 40 (20)
Beam Weapons 15
Missile Weapons 100
Accuracy Beams 45 (60)
Accuracy Missile 90
Range Beams 50 (350)
Range Missile 400
Ord Load 250
Travel Range (LY) 360
Armor 8
Evasive Bonus 0
Attack Bonus 100
Generator 10 (20)
Battery 180 (280)
Combat Quickness 50
Cost 125

DOA wings can perform orbital precision strikes if they end the turn
over base. To target one building type using the command code "b01" to
"b30" The codes correspond with the order of the buildings listed on
the base overview screen. Each bomber destroys 1 building. Thirty
bombers destroy 30 cities or 30 farms. Chances of success depend on
the number of DOA fighters in the wing. 1% per fighter. AA-Guns will
each destroy one fighter before it performs it's mission, plus a random
change to destroy another fighter.

C-3 Defender

Attack Air 50 (65)
Attack Ground Troops 60 (90)
Attack Cities 20 (10)
Attack Ground Units 30 (80)
Defense From Air Attack 50
Defense From Ground Troops 55
Defense From Ground Units 30 (60)
Beam Weapons 55
Missile Weapons 0
Accuracy Beams 80
Accuracy Missile 0
Range Beams 150
Range Missile 0
Ord Load 0
Travel Range (LY) 10
Armor 6
Evasive Bonus 50
Attack Bonus 72
Generator 10
Battery 100
Combat Quickness 20
Cost 70 (110)

---

Contraband Lockdown as a hull trait is removed from all ships
A regular Contraband Lockdown is added to the Sergeant-at-Arms

---

Hawkings Retaining Center
New cost to build is 40Mcs and 1 Supply
These are hardly ever used, they just aren't worth it. So lets make it
so. This will require discussion to balance just right.
No longer costs any thing to re-educate prisoners.
Re-educated Prisoners retain their personnel type. (i.e.. Privateer
Colonists are reeducated to UEA Colonist, Fed crew are reeducated to
UEA crew, and EE troops are reeducated to UEA troops.)
HG can not be re-educated.
A percentage of the personnel will die in the process. That percentage
is effected by the Lawfulness of the race. This only applies to
personnel being re-educated and not those waiting on the base.
Re-education process generates income based on lizard selling formula
divided by 3, this includes effects of "bad blood"
Cyborg, Robot, Solorian and Crystal prisoners are not re-educateable.
Other nasty things can happen to your base when prisoners are being
re-educated.

---

The AU-147 Arresting Unit was not used, and never achieved it's
designed purpose, so here is the redesign:

Arresting action happens before movement. (So you have to land them
for a turn before they will capture enemies)
Attack setting must be Deep Ground Patrols or better.
Captures 200 colonists, 100 crew, and 5 troops per turn. (Currently
captures 500 colonists, 350 crew and 5 troops a turn.)
Enemy HG are immune and will protect 1,000 Colonist from capture for
each HG.
Arresting Unit combats crime on all friendly bases on the same planet.

Attack Air 0
Attack Ground Troops 5
Attack Cities 0
Attack Ground Units 1
Defense From Air Attack 5
Defense From Ground Troops 15
Defense From Ground Units 12
Cost 24

---

The Redistribution Center has become a vital part of the UEA economy.
But some tweaking is needed.
2 Food
1 Supplies
1 MCs
70 Ord
0.2 Ground Unit Type 1 "AU-147 Arresting Unit" (so that means 5 units
of CB to make one AU)

---

Fighting with Insect Natives may or may not work this way. This is the
way is should work and will be made to work if not.
Ground unit will fight first. (Currently PA-245 Battle Mech can kill
1250 insectoids each.)
Fighters in the base will fight second. (Currently C-3 Defender can
kill 800 insectoids each.)
Troops fight third
Crew fight forth
HG will fight fifth
Colonist fight/die last.

Greg Bahr
UEA Creator
34 answers Last reply
More about change discuss

    Warrent really don't think the UEA needs more weapons, Plus I like the
    fact you can use this ship to tow other ships at speed 190ly.

    The hammer and Battalion like the assault pod idea. Hross mine hit
    thats cool too.

    Ranger station. The UEA repairs everything but hyp/shields at the
    highest rates already, adding a device that cuts out the middle man is
    only asking for trouble. I can see why you would want it. It would cut
    down the repair time on the max after you detonate grav mines over it
    to catch and capture ships. So I say leave it out.

    All fighters anything that makes a races fighters better then the COM
    fighters I am against. COM are suppose to be the best fighter race.
    They already got one hit after Tim reduced them when he fixed the cost.
    These changes would be one more hit. So I say leave this out.

    Contraband lock down, if it had full range that would be great.

    Hawkings Retaining Center getting the colonist to fill cities that make
    double money and pay taxes, and then getting liz selling prisoners on
    top of it. Come on. If you want to make it cool let the centers be more
    open ended in build, and each one converts the prisoners at a set rate.
    That way you could control how fast they are converted. For example
    each center converts 1000 colonist so if you build 10 thats 10000 build
    100 centers thats a 100000 colonists a turn converted to tax paying
    colonist.etc. Also you could re work you troops,crew ,HG make
    money/work formula to get extra cash. So that each troop,crew,hg that
    exists works and gives up money,not how many are trained in a turn.

    The AU-147 Arresting Unit all depends on how the Center works

    The Redistribution Center reduce food, but keep ord at the 100 level
    need the ord. 1 more supply would be nice. The free ground unit can
    give or take it. All depends on how the Hawkings Retaining Center ends
    up working. If you are upset about the fighters maybe give a free
    fighter for every 5 instead of the ground unit.

    Discussing a topic in two different boards at the same time is always a
    bit unwieldy, but for the sake of discussion, here's my answer from the
    other board:

    Like Sparrow I don't like the Warrant Assault Ships. Fighting ships
    with grav acc are rare indeed, and the few races that have them are
    disadvantaged otherwise. To give the UEA a grav acc fighting ship would
    be an error. Especially since the Warrant also has a boarding laser.
    The merculite missile computer I dislike not only because its great
    antifighter potential (one of the few weaknesses of the UEA is that
    they don't have a good antifighter ship), but I strongly discourage the
    total armor arc against damaged hulls. A single grav mine explosion
    would make an expensive Dreadnought dead weight this way. No, far too
    strong.

    A minehit immunity is always nice to have, but I wouldn't grant it to a
    ship with a large towing capacity. Drop it at the Battalion.

    The Bomber fighter gets a huge increase for its beam attack. Is that
    necessary? I don't have much experienxe with the UEA and their fighters
    though. Enabling it to attack buildings from space is a good idea - I
    believe before it had to be part of a base, and that was too
    unpractical.
    The Defender fighter gets much cheaper. Both fighter changes greatly
    reduce the UEA fighter weakness. Are you sure you want to eliminate
    that? What were the other UEA weaknesses again? In comparison to their
    strengths?

    The change for the reeducation center appears roughly familiar to me
    :).

    Generally I welcome occassional changes with the 3rd party races. They
    are much too static often in comparison to Tims races. Just take care
    the changes aren't too unbalancing.

    So far the UEA can and with your changes could:
    - Get ships like the Xtals with their X-Field
    - Get MF resistance like the EE H-Ross
    - Get free Mechs like the EE
    - Do things which are not even possible with any ET and at a much lower
    cost (e.g. LW firing at fighters at a range nearly double of the MML)
    this all on top to a strong race they already are.

    Do nothing which makes the UEA stronger. Some small tweakings are ok,
    but do not remove any weakness or add new strengths.

    The Redistribution Center needs to be tuned down and not only by -30
    Ord and -1 Food!

    Hm, discussing the same topic in two boards is somewhat unwieldy, but
    here is a copy of my other answer.

[...]

    Gargh, sorry. Double posting.

    How is it that you think the fighter got better, on the Type 2 DOA I
    reduced stats. The number with in the (##) is what it is right now. I
    decreased space combat and beefed up a bit of the GA abilities.

    Greg Bahr
    UEA Creator

    Allow me to clarify fighter stats, here is what I propose:

    Fighter Changes : These are the proposed changes, please compare to
    existing stats.

    AS-480 Assault Fighter

    Attack Air
    190
    Attack Ground Troops 50
    Attack Cities
    45
    Attack Ground Units 30
    Defense From Air Attack 120
    Defense From Ground Troops 55
    Defense From Ground Units 35
    Beam Weapons 80
    Missile Weapons 65
    Accuracy Beams 70
    Accuracy Missile 85
    Range Beams 200
    Range Missile 400

    Ord Load
    160
    Travel Range (LY) 310
    Armor
    15
    Evasive Bonus 30

    Attack Bonus
    60
    Generator
    15
    Battery
    200
    Combat Quickness 100
    Cost
    200

    DOA-187x Bomber

    Attack Air
    10
    Attack Ground Troops 70
    Attack Cities 225
    Attack Ground Units 180
    Defense From Air Attack 40
    Defense From Ground Troops 40
    Defense From Ground Units 40
    Beam Weapons 15
    Missile Weapons 100
    Accuracy Beams 45
    Accuracy Missile 90
    Range Beams 50
    Range Missile 400
    Ord Load 250
    Travel Range (LY) 360
    Armor
    8
    Evasive Bonus 0
    Attack Bonus 100
    Generator 10

    Battery 180
    Combat Quickness 50
    Cost
    125

    DOA wings can perform orbital precision strikes if they end the turn
    over base. To target one building type using the command code "b01"
    "b30" The codes correspond with the order of the buildings listed on
    the base overview screen. Each bomber destroys 1 building. Thirty
    bombers destroy 30 cities or 30 farms. Chances of success depend on
    the number of DOA fighters in the wing. 1% per fighter. AA-Guns will
    each destroy one fighter before it performs it's mission, plus a random

    change to destroy another fighter.

    C-3 Defender

    Attack Air
    50
    Attack Ground Troops 60
    Attack Cities
    20
    Attack Ground Units 30
    Defense From Air Attack 50
    Defense From Ground Troops 55
    Defense From Ground Units 30
    Beam Weapons 55
    Missile Weapons 0
    Accuracy Beams 80
    Accuracy Missile 0
    Range Beams 150
    Range Missile
    0
    Ord Load
    0
    Travel Range (LY) 10
    Armor
    6
    Evasive Bonus 50

    Attack Bonus
    72
    Generator
    10
    Battery
    100
    Combat Quickness 20
    Cost
    70

    Sorry, my fault!
    But why do you prefer combat fighting power over vcr strentgh? UEA has
    enough troops usually to GA without problems, so the fighters aren't
    really needed there. Also in many assaults fighters don't participate,
    since they are neglected in Crushkilldestroy battles.

    The modified Merc Missile is my baby, not Greg's. The system damage
    issue that is being complained about is not so large as it seems. The
    idea was that since the Gamabomb warhead has been replaced by a
    concusion warhead that causes the outter casing to effectively become a
    spiderweb of monofilliment wire and shrapnel moving at high speed - the
    monofiliment being pulsed with Electro Magnetic Pulses (EMP) that once
    the hull is damaged (mine hit) then there is a chink in the insulatino
    against such things between the hull and the armor (still intact) so
    that in that specific case a small percentage - say 10% of the weapons
    system damage stat - would leak in and hit systems attached to any sort
    of conduit etc that is located near the chink. Since the individual
    systems damage for any given hit will be relatively low, 10% would
    probably not be more than 1 ponit, certianly not more than 2 - there
    would be no kill or blast that arcs through, and there would be no
    armor damage.

    I have not put the final weapon stats into written form, was going to
    do that last night but did not get a chance.

    The reason for this mod is that my race under dev has a freakishly
    large phobia about energy weapons (bad things happen all around) and
    Tim suggested that I modify some existing ord weapons.

    Now, regarding the Warrant. Given that The Creator wanted to add Grav
    Accell to it, and listed it's purpose as a primary boarding ship - I
    took it more to an extreme for him, he has not followed me that far.

    Specifically - reducing the LW to 30 KT - this effectvely make sthe
    ship NOT a high speed fighting ship.

    Specifically I suggested this modified Merc Missile to aid in its
    primary role - Boarding Sled. As an accomplished priv player, the one
    thign that takes down a high speed boarding sled (MCBR) is high speed
    fighters. I had suggested upping the PD to 10, adding SW if they
    liked, and changing the LW tothe 30 mounts giving it SC - which are
    nice, very nice, until Sand Shields are all over the place, or against
    fighters with native sand shields - Remeber that the UEA are supposed
    to be Space Cops on a Megalomaniacle steroid trip. So, here you go, an
    anti fighter weapon that does not suffer sand shield issues - BUT -
    does not have the wing wide effect of the Sand Caster.....I also think
    that the Gatling Phasor should have an anti fighter role as well, it
    fires fast enough, it's THE top tech weapon, and it reminds me of the
    new LW used against the Cylons in the new BSG....and who else uses it
    anyway?

    But I digress. So, here is a weapon that will have some use in
    ship-ship combat, but not a lot. It so happens that the systems damage
    and crew kill factors work for this race, the Priv, and my race....the
    modified merc has 0 armor drain, and as stated, only a very small
    amount of system damage will go through (armor plate is just that,
    plate, made from a metal - Duranium - it will act as a giant conductor
    for the EMP - and since there is hull damage, soem of that pulse will
    leak through whatever damage has been done to the insulation layer
    between armor and hull - power conduits will overload and fuse, data
    conduits will overload and fuse, any non-hardened systems on board will
    suffer damage - lights, ventilation, replication (food) - so life
    support - com equipment - the ship wide power grid and stuff pulled
    into that - internal fires will start and that sort of thing...all
    small stuff, but SOME systems damage will result.

    Once there is a large breach, then the full systems damage and the crew
    kill can happen....kill coems from shrapnel, concusion, electrocution
    form the pulse generator through those monofiliments - and collateral
    kills from contact with over loaded and exploding internal systems
    around the ship once the full EMP starts going off inside the hull.

    I had thoguht about having engine damage etc, but focused it all on the
    systems. As systems damage goes up other stuff fails....and since the
    weapon does kill damage the effect of life support damage is
    simulated....I also thought about hypercore damage, but don't know how
    EMP would effect a hypercore...do you? Egines should get some damage,
    but high system damage messes up navigation and stuff - so you might
    still go fast, but you go fast to no place much...

    I think that if the New Warrant is reduced to 30 KT LW mounts then it
    is no longer a high speed fighting ship since about all it can do is
    provide nusance fire, anti fighter cover, and run away fast.

    ******************
    The troop carriers - modeled after the Space Marines of Asimov's
    Stormship Troopers. The big difference between that and VGAP is that
    plantary defenses are much different.....so....the changes (remember
    that the UEA Space Marine/Cops employ Blitzkrieg tactics) And so, the
    changes:
    Minefield protection for running through minefields - can't blitzcreig
    at 13 LY/turn - along with the protectino is a mass reduction on the
    small carrier to between 90 and 99 KT hull mass for obvious reasons.
    (remember, this also means that glory devices will destroy it
    lock-stock-and-barrel) and this mitigates the mine field damage
    reduction making it possible for the ship to run lightly mined planets,
    but not heavily mined ones. Also, since the ship has to run the
    gauntlet alone....anti fighter tech - adding 1 perhaps 2 mounts @ 30
    (say 1 SC and 1 modified Merc) and some PD. I also suggested that the
    pod bays be raised (on both) to perhaps double what they are...well
    actually, 5 on the Hammer, and maybe 10 on the Battalion. I would also
    suggest that the Hammer have the guest cap reduced to something quite
    low - enough to defend the ship from boarding - a few hundred +
    crew...and the cargo be cut. Anythign that they need on the ground has
    to be in the pods (the reason for the extra pods - either a real ground
    force, or, stuff to build a base)

    So, the ship can stand a chance to run planetary defenses and get the
    pods on the ground (I also thought that some sort of holocloaking
    device to confse palnetary defenses to get the pods down)

    In addition to this, there has been discusion of some sort of host
    change that this ship can drop pods that reach the ground early and
    have the abiltiy to attack the defendnig base that turn and then let
    teh dust off pick them up the same turn.....though this doesn't fit the
    data model I don't think.

    So, to sum it up, the suggested changes are not so radical if they are
    all made - this ships do not become the ultimate power house ships that
    they might, the bonuses are coutnered by taking away the part that
    would make the bonus too much.

    The Warrant becomes a boarding sled ONLY (no tow) the prize has to be
    collected in some other manner - against a fleet the power of this
    falls off, as a patrol ship it is wonderfull - gets out there, grabs
    the intruder and you take it home. It has the abiltiy to shake off 1
    or 2 small wings of high speed fighters that chace it on the escape
    beyond tic 50...this does not make it over powered.

    The Hammer becomes a "get the pods down" ship. Good for lightening
    raids - it has 0 tow, so there is no chance of it PAXing and running in
    inthe same turn, it's got to show up and then make the landing
    run...against GZ, it has to make a 2 turn event, it only goes 90 and
    the PAX massing over 100 has to land outside the GZ range - assuming it
    could get that close even.....but the Hammers have to make a solo 2
    turn run, a robot with $$ on the ground could have a fighter force to
    clear the place out - or defend the base well enough - in plenty of
    time....if he's got ship boudling there, a defending fleet - just a few
    Cats would take down many Hammers. If the UEA player instead brings in
    the fleet and lays seige to the base in question, the changes to the
    hammer are meaningless....and in a seige situation, the modified
    warrant is also fairly useless.

    Cost increases to both ships would not be out of the question.

    On the surface, or by themselves, or against an unarmed / ill prepared
    target, these become very powerful ships. Taken in the context of
    actual use, not so much - still balanced ships with a specific purpose.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    The fighters were modified to reflect the orignial intentions. Type 2
    is ground pounder, type 1 is fleet/planet anti figher defense, Type 3
    is anti ship fighter. As they stood the type 2 seemed the better bang
    for buck anti ship fighter due to missile power v cost.

    At least that was what I got from the discussion.

    Fighters are very hard to balance due to the averaging used in combined
    wings.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    oh yeah, I understand the EMP itself is not going to electrocute
    anyone/thing - but the induced current in any loop of condutor (wire)
    will. The lethality of that collateral effect is directly dependant on
    the contruction of the thing in which the current is induced.

    Anythign with a lot of loops will be very bad - electric motors are BIG
    in this sense, especially since the current is developed in an area
    which usually does not have large currents (and EMP will generate a
    current several magnitutdes larger than the working current for any
    given motor - it has to do with the loops of wire inthe armature that
    make the motor do it's thing. A length of power tranmision wire is in
    effect a loop if the circuit is complete (down one side of hte hull and
    up the other forming a power distribution grid within the ship) and
    servers the double whammy of delivereing the kililng pulse of
    electricity to the attached devices.

    I just wanted to pout this out here to stop people telling/arguing that
    electro magnetic pulses wont kill anything living. Alone, this
    statement is more or less true.....
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    On the instant repair, it can only do so to 1 ship per turn. I'm
    thinking the Ranger Station itself has priority.

    All the fighters changes I saw make UEA fighers weaker than they are
    currently.

    On the Hawkings Retraining center, there is a death rate associated
    with using the device. It should always yield more money having the
    Lizards sell POWs directly than having them first reeducated and the
    survivors of the reeducation sold to the Lizards.

    The main point of the Redistrubtion Center is now to create the newly
    remodeled AU 148 arresting units. Build your own factories and ord.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I'm not a fan of having MMLs fire on fighters.

    On the other things

    The AU 147 is even weaker in ground combat than the EE's droids.
    Against enemy Mechs, the AU 147 will be blown out on the water. It's
    also extremely weak against troops. Well, those troops that avoided
    being arrested pre-combat.
    It's now a pure cop.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    In the interest of full disclosure:

    the new stats of the AU 147 is my baby. (terriable in combat and now
    fights crime)

    And so is Redistruption Centers producing them. (At a greatly reduced
    rate than I initally proposed)

    The idea for the lawfulness formula for the Hawkings Device, is mine as
    well but hasn't been finalized yet. (This included the can't retrain
    Robots, Borg, Solarians, or Crystals.) It is also the intention that
    any new 3rd party race that have exemption to being assmilated by the
    Borg also be unretrainable.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I suspect that after we finnish with these tweaks, the end result will
    be some very nice units and I don't think that the race will be
    overpowered.....but to do that you have to take all the reductions as
    well as the increases - 40 KT LW mounts versus 30 KT LW mounts makes a
    large difference....

    MML firing on fighters makes perfect sense - most of our current "best"
    anti fighter weapons are missiles, not guns - unless you are talking
    something like the CIWS that is mounted on US naval vessels (you can
    find it on Google) .... in which case the 35mm Vulcan needs an anti
    fighter BOOST....a rather large one. At any rate, teh MML firing on
    fighters is fine. The other anti figher PD probably do a better
    overall job.

    The modified Merc is an expensive anti fighter weapon when you factor
    damage to fighters against ord usage and such - and not the best...but
    it IS a weapon with a value (range is a key thing in this sort of
    situation) and it looses a lot against ships - being so easy to hit
    anyway.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    You asked for opinions so here you get them:

    The modified Merc in combination with detonating Enforcer GravMines and
    the incarceration beam is a killer. Too strong in combination!

    The changes to the Hammer and Battalion are great though please remove
    any towing capacity to those ships. Why towing if you double the pod
    bays? Strong tow just enables the whole UEA fleet to become mine
    immune.

    Fabian
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I agree, Tow will be removed on the Troop Carriers.

    Greg Bahr
    UEA
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    On the matter of the Warrant Class Assault Ship, a few changes.
    Reducing the Weapon mount to 30Kts severely limits the weapons on this
    ship. The Warrant is a boarding ship, not a combat ship of the line.
    I also think dropping the Inc Beam is required with the loss of pod
    bays. The MercMod description has been updated. The MercMod is not as
    big a deal as it is made out to be. With the limits of weapons to
    MercMods, Sand Casters, and Mass Drivers, you really aren't going to be
    using this ship to fight major fleets. MercMod is a way to make this
    ship reach the goal of a boarding platform. The UEA have plenty of
    warships, the changes aren't going to make this a super ship.

    Warrant Class Assault Ship
    Hull cost = 1050
    LW = 4 @ 30KTs
    Tow = 0
    Max Hull Speed = 380
    Drop Mine Sweeper
    Drop Incaceration Beam
[...]

    hull, the EMP pulse will arc thru the Armor to deliver no more than 10%
    of the weapon's system damage." - Description modified from v4 Help
    files
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Why would I want a ship designed to board and capture a ship have good
    anti-fighter capabilities? Because fighters with travel range can
    chase down a ship that boards from close range. The Warrant is not a
    ship that is cost effective to build for fighter defense. Adm.
    Tronthor, a veteran priv player will tell you the greatest threat to a
    quick board is fighters that can chase you out of the 50 turn safe
    period. Perhaps it would be better to equate the effectiveness of a
    MercMod shot on a wing to a lesser PD weapon then the MML?

    Greg Bahr
    UEA Creator who welcomes all feedback.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    On the Warrant:
    Reduce the max hull speed of that ship. Currently their are only 2
    ships which are capable of that speed (380) and that is the ShaiShan
    (Cents) and the MCBR(privs). A speed of 300 ought to be sufficient, it
    would still become the second fastest boarder (after the MCBR). Even
    the Immamorata of the Scavs has a top speed below 380.
    Also you might want to consider what the MercMod will be able to do
    against Organic Armor ships - same rules or different ones. I strongly
    suggest to modify these rules a little bit against OA ships. Maybe
    something like this - no armor arc against these ships but a highly
    increased armor drain (take note that armor drain is a little bit
    different against OA ships).
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I'm against a grav accelerator on the Warrant.

    Think you oversee the sideeffect that there is one more race with this
    device in game which the Scavanger need.

    As it is now, a combat ship with speed x is save from boarding in the
    first 50 movment phase if it is (190 - x)/4 + BL-range LYs away from a
    Warrant. This means if x = 110 then the ship must look to be 23 LYs away
    from a Warrant.
    If the Warrant get the Grav Accelerator this become to a much bigger
    range of (380 - x)/4 + BL-range. This mean in the case of x = 110 the
    ship must be 70,5 LYs away from a Warrant.

    IMHO the guestquarter with 6000 and crew of 1650 is to high for such a
    quick ship if it gets the Grav Accelerator.
    Many enemy ships may then get an "easy" boarding target for the
    UEA/Warrant, maybe the RCS Lotus (not test it)and other middle to small
    ships.

    IMHO the UEA have enough stuff for boardings, like the Grav Mines
    special, Incaceration Beam and normal Biarding ships, the don't really
    need such a quick ship.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I still can't see the use behind this.

    You are lifting a tech 1 (!!!) LW to be
    better than the best anti fighter PD! It
    has about double range as micromissile
    launcher! The double charge time is not
    enough to bring it down.

    On the other hand I don't see WHY (!!!)
    you want to make the warrant a good anit
    fighter ship when it is designed to raid
    and capture ???

    cu
    Ilja

    P.S. This may sound a bit harsh, but I
    think this idea if far, far over the top.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Greg Bahr wrote:
    > Why would I want a ship designed to board and capture a ship have good
    > anti-fighter capabilities? Because fighters with travel range can
    > chase down a ship that boards from close range. The Warrant is not a
    > ship that is cost effective to build for fighter defense. Adm.
    > Tronthor, a veteran priv player will tell you the greatest threat to a
    > quick board is fighters that can chase you out of the 50 turn safe
    > period. Perhaps it would be better to equate the effectiveness of a
    > MercMod shot on a wing to a lesser PD weapon then the MML?
    >
    > Greg Bahr
    > UEA Creator who welcomes all feedback.

    I have no problem with the issue that
    you want to give the Warrant something
    to help against fighters. But a Tech 1
    weapon that is better than a tech 9 PD
    is much overpowered. UEA players will
    have to raise hull tech first to have
    Ranger, Pax etc. so they will have not
    enough money to raise PD or LW tech. You
    can build Warrants with these monster
    Mercs within turn 10. But your enemies
    may only have there fighters to fight an
    early UEA attack (cause there ships are
    disabled by gravs). SC and these Mercs
    will easily kill all home guard fighter.

    Give the Warrant some more PD slots and
    maybe large ord capacities to mount more
    SCs ...

    cu
    Ilja
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I am smitten with blindness. As Stonetroll pointed out somewhere else,
    the Warrant can easily cause hull damage with its boarding laser. So
    these hyper-mercmissile Warrants could engage a near high-armor
    dreadnought, drill tiny holes in it before tick 50, and shoot it to
    bits ignoring the armor. I can't repeat it strongly enough - I am
    against the proposed merc missile changes!
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Actually you have forgotten about half a dozen Aczanny ships. But your
    point is valid. The MBR is the only 380 speed boarding laser ship right
    now, and I don't see a single reason to give the UEA an equivalent ship
    (with even a greater guestroom).
    The UEA has its grav mine special for capturing ships. That should be
    enough.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I'm also most strongly against both: LWs firing at fighters and the
    armor bypass.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Hm, I should say: I'm against any LWs beside the SandCaster firing at
    fighters. ;-)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Yep, I must have overlooked a few Aczanny Ships (but then not all of
    their ships with a max hull speed of 380 can use it outside of combat)
    and then in contrast to the Cents and Privs they do not have a hyp
    capable ship (probably the reason for me having forgotten the Aczanny).

    Well and then I have so far not really started to talk about the
    combat/boarding capabilities of the new Warrant.
    It was mainly about speed, and I honestly do not see a reason to give
    the UEA a ship which has such a high speed, for one thing because it
    would then make them the most mobile race (they already have the Pax
    and a few ships which can move at a speed of 190).

    Also a good idea would be to give the Warrant a much lower combat speed
    (maybe around 50) - currently ships have their max hull speed as combat
    speed - of course that would be a special property of the hull.

    And then I see it as a good idea that some weapons, in this case the
    Merculite Missles, get some special properties.
    In any case some properties of the MercMods do need adjustment (as
    already pointed out by quiet a few people) - toned down.
    For one thing it could be made possible for the wing to shoot the
    MercMod down before it hits the wing.
    And/Or the MercMod is unable to shoot down fighters with a too high
    armor (blast power of the MercMods lower than fighter armor).
    The targeting of the MercMods is only able to switch targets all 50
    combat tics. The MercMods are influenced by HoloDecoys as the PPTs are
    (and in this case also your own HoloDecoys).
    The special Armor Arc against ships does only function when the ship is
    within a distance of 100. For the special MercMods to give system
    damage not only Hull Damage but also System Damage is needed (if I
    remember correctly Mine Hits and Boarding only does Hull Damage).
    Of course that are only ideas.

    In any case I would favor a solution for the MercMods without just
    scraping them.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Greg, I like the UEA as they are.
    I have no problem winning games with them.

    The only problem areas I have are with the C3 fighter.
    I would like to use it as an anti fighter fighter.
    I would like it to be cheaper and have more range
    like 100 to better fill this role.

    I have never used the DOA bomber special ability.
    And quite frankly even with the change you propose
    I still can not find a use for it. But I do use it a lot
    during the first 20 turns to provide security for my
    starting homeworld. In this respect please do not
    reduce its fighting capacity this is very important
    to me. It would set back the starting ability of
    the UEA by a lot. That will have a much larger
    negative economic impact
    to the UEA than the special ability will add to them.

    And my use of the Au-147 unit is to prevent others from
    ground assaulting my base. It will arrest people from
    a new enemy base on the turn they from a new base
    before they can ground assault you.
    In this respect though I wish it was cheaper so I could
    equip all my bases with 500-1,000 of these on each base.

    With the warrent I have no problem with it now.
    But if you want to change it go ahead.

    Bottom line I will adapt, but wish I did not have to.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Quite a long post to answer :). Ok.

    Griffin never mentioned the 10% system damage factor of the merc
    missile, I believe, and he explicitly mentioned the Battalion for the
    mine immunity. So you have to pardon us in this regard.

    Even with only the 10% system damage I don't like the total armor arc
    ability of the Warrant. System damage is instrumental in early
    disabling ships, i.e. take out the weapons. Armor dreadnoughts would
    simply be too vulnerable to it.

    A tech 1 large weapon which is roughly equal to a tech 10 point defense
    is inappropriate. For all races. The fact that the UEA haven't had a
    decent anti-fighter ship before only makes that count more.

    Naturally a speed 380 boarder with 6k guestquarters would be the
    delight of any race. You can only say that this won't make the UEA
    'stronger' if you're seriously mincing words. Also I don't
    consider it a good idea to make possession of grav acc ships too
    common. Let the Aczanny, Centaurs and Privateers have their special
    gimmicks. As I said, every race would like to have access to grav accs
    - that's no reason to give the UEA one.

    A decent mech for the price provided by the redistribution center is
    much too cheap. And since Minime-hammer stated that its special ability
    even works versus an assault base in the turn it is made it might have
    to be tuned down anyway.

    The UEA have the reputation of being a strong race (I never played them
    yet though). The above changes would make them measurably stronger.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    How about a compromise for the GA. Instead of a GA, what about a
    lightspeed device, with a rather limited fuel hold. Lets say 1200. Yes
    you can catch the ship, but then you have to caculate is the price
    worth 1000 KT of fuel. If you also make it a dog in speed, say around
    hullspeed around 90, it would become more of a risker mission.

    It still serves the purpose of boarding enemy vessels, but at a much
    higher price, and a higher risk.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    You want to make the Warrant a bording ship. Why? Can´t you board with it
    now? Didn´t I see a boarding laser on it? Didn´t I see 6000 Guests? Didn´t I
    see already top speed of 190ly/turn? You can board with this ship, IF you
    want.

    And again? Can´t the UEA capture ship with their actual shiplist? Do they
    really need to do this in a better way?

    Greetings
    Sebastian
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    So the Merc. avoiding armor are either too powerful or close to
    useless. I see no reason why we would want either of it. ;-)
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I think the problem here is not the MercMod but the fact that it is
    such a low tech weapon. I think people would have less problem with the
    anti fighter modification if it was done to a diffrent weapon for
    example if it was the Force Beam or the Energy Mines.
    The Force beam because of it's price or the Energy Mines because of
    their tech level.
    No one is going to be happy with a low tech cheap alternative to the
    MML (except for UEA players).

Video Games