Sign in with
Your question

Why does my wireless router not work when the main computer has its encryption o

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
September 23, 2010 5:18:48 AM

I have an ActionTec router that is connected to my son's computer.
My sister gave me a laptop that came with a LInksys adapter card for the wireness router.

When I try to connect to the wireless internet, I am unable to reach the "access point."

When I am directly connected to the router, I can reach the internet and when my son turns off his encryption, I can reach the internet.

My son is worried about leaving the encryption off. Is there a way to make this work with the encryption on?

Thanks!
Anonymous
September 23, 2010 12:35:07 PM

This kind of problem is often to do with signal strength/interference. Router and computer are trying to handshake on the encryption type and password but the signal is failing as they do it. I've had this even with an apparently healthy signal but a strong wifi network on the same channel nearby. Problem is solved by disabling wireless security in the router -- but that's not wise.

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

m
l
Related resources
!