atom1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
just like to run what im thinking pass you guys in the forum who almost certainly have a better idea.

Motherboard;
ASRock P67 extreme4

CPU;
intel i5 2500k

RAM;
gskill 4gb ddr3 ripjaws @ 1600mhz

GPU;
evga gtx460 1GB
(probably will get the gtx560 when it comes out depends on pricing) thoughts on what card i should get would be useful

PSU;
corsair HX-650W

Hardrive;
samsung spinpoint F3 1TB

Case;
antec 300

might aim for overclocking/sli in the future but not necessary plus looking at getting a screen with 1980x1080 resolution so would like to know if this all checks out!

Solution
Just checked newegg and looks like the GTX 560s are going for around $250-$270.

Overall you're build looks pretty good. If you're considering SLI in the future a 650W PSU is a little lightweight, a 750W-800W PSU would be something to look into.

As far as RAM is concerned try to avoid 1.65v modules. I've heard that Sandy Bridge doesn't like RAM voltages over 1.58V, which is the reason why so many memory manufacturers are releasing RAM modules "optimized" for Sandy Bridge.
In reality such modules simply support operation at voltages under 1.58V.

Since you're not going to overclock initially you can use the stock CPU cooler, but should you overclock I highly recommend investing in an aftermarket cooler when the time comes.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Just checked newegg and looks like the GTX 560s are going for around $250-$270.

Overall you're build looks pretty good. If you're considering SLI in the future a 650W PSU is a little lightweight, a 750W-800W PSU would be something to look into.

As far as RAM is concerned try to avoid 1.65v modules. I've heard that Sandy Bridge doesn't like RAM voltages over 1.58V, which is the reason why so many memory manufacturers are releasing RAM modules "optimized" for Sandy Bridge.
In reality such modules simply support operation at voltages under 1.58V.

Since you're not going to overclock initially you can use the stock CPU cooler, but should you overclock I highly recommend investing in an aftermarket cooler when the time comes.

Solution

atom1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
hmm ok yeah i was quite sure about the ram voltage but thanks for clearing that up i'll have a look around, ram is pretty cheap anyway.
so to future proof it a bit i might put in a larger power supply.
yea when it starts struggling a bit ill look to overclock to prolong its life a bit.
good points!