SONY laptop need program to play DVDs

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 10:48:06 PM

Just upgraded a SONY laptop to Windows XP. Although Toshiba DVD/CD drive is
recognized, I can not get it to play DVDs. The original National
Semiconductor decoder program is not compatible with Win XP. I have tried
Cyberlink PowerDVD (recommended by Microsoft) but have not been successful.
SONY tells me to go back to Win 98. Anyone have a better suggestion?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 10:48:07 PM

MZT wrote:

> Just upgraded a SONY laptop to Windows XP. Although Toshiba DVD/CD drive is
> recognized, I can not get it to play DVDs. The original National
> Semiconductor decoder program is not compatible with Win XP. I have tried
> Cyberlink PowerDVD (recommended by Microsoft) but have not been successful.
> SONY tells me to go back to Win 98. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Have a look at:

http://www.dvd-player-software-review.toptenreviews.com...

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 10:48:07 PM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 19:48:06 -0500, "MZT" <mztnospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>Cyberlink PowerDVD (recommended by Microsoft) but have not been successful.

Why not?

>SONY tells me to go back to Win 98.

bullshit
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 11:24:07 PM

bobb wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 19:48:06 -0500, "MZT" <mztnospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> Cyberlink PowerDVD (recommended by Microsoft) but have not been
>> successful.
>
> Why not?
>

>> SONY tells me to go back to Win 98.
>
> bullshit

Not necessarily BS. The OP doesn't report what processor/speed/RAM,
etc. If the laptop is of the order of a 233Mhz PII with 64MB
RAM-typical of a Win98 laptop, the hardware DVD decoder was necessary to
play DVD smoothly. Software DVD players will "work", but the hardware
decoder is much better. XP on that laptop also will "work", but is less
of a solution than would be the original Win98. Laptops of the Win98
era were quite slow compared to a destop with the same CPU/speed/RAM on
which software DVD players were often marginally acceptable.

a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 10:49:44 AM

>>Cyberlink PowerDVD (recommended by Microsoft) but have not been
>>successful.
>
> Why not?

Still doesn't play a DVD. When I insert a DVD and try to run it, I get a
message that there is no disc in drive. I have tried numerous different
prerecorded commercial DVDs.

>>SONY tells me to go back to Win 98.
>
> bullshit

Agreed.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 6:46:55 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:49:44 -0500, "MZT" <mztnospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>Cyberlink PowerDVD (recommended by Microsoft) but have not been
>>>successful.
>>
>> Why not?
>
>Still doesn't play a DVD. When I insert a DVD and try to run it, I get a
>message that there is no disc in drive. I have tried numerous different
>prerecorded commercial DVDs.
>

>>>SONY tells me to go back to Win 98.
>>
>> bullshit
>
>Agreed.

You might want to open up a bit more, MZT, and tell us what Sony
you've got. N505, Z505, 838, C1XS, what? And while you're at it, which
version of PowerDVD are you running?
If Sony support is telling you to load Win98, your VAIO came with
it, and that means it's a pretty old system, maybe 6 or 7 years - the
stone age as far as computers go.
Back then, Sony was using the NeoMagic chipset and it works great
with PowerDVD - I have the same chip in 3 of my VAIOs and my IBM 600
and it works without a hitch. Check that PowerDVD isn't in file mode
rather than disk mode, and that you've specified the name of your DVD
drive in the settings.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 6:46:56 PM

> Check that PowerDVD isn't in file mode
> rather than disk mode, and that you've specified the name of your DVD
> drive in the settings.
> Emanuel

How can I do the above? You are right about posting full laptop info. I
will post more info on the laptop later today when I am home with it and
perhaps you or someone else can help.
MZT
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 9:26:21 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:32:39 -0500, "MZT" <mztnospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>> Check that PowerDVD isn't in file mode
>> rather than disk mode, and that you've specified the name of your DVD
>> drive in the settings.
>> Emanuel
>
>How can I do the above? You are right about posting full laptop info. I
>will post more info on the laptop later today when I am home with it and
>perhaps you or someone else can help.
>MZT

Go into settings (the icon is a little hammer) and click on the
General tab. If PowerDVD has detected your drive, you'll be able to
input it's letter assignment in the box, otherwise it will be grayed
out.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 7:19:21 PM

Sony laptop is model PCG-F370, Pentium 3, 450 mhz with 256 SDRAM, Toshiba
combo cd/dvd drive, 256 bit graphics. The DVD drive is considered the "G"
drive. It originally came with Win 98 and now I have upgraded to Windows
XP. Cyberlink PowerDVD does not play a prerecorded movie. . .when I put the
disc in the drive it sounds like it will start up and then it says, please
insert disc into drive G. Trying to solve this problem. I have tried 2
versions of Cyberlink PowerDVD and a trial of Nero but neither brand decoder
seems to work. The drive can still read CDs. I tried to see where to
change the setting of file mode to disk mode but it didn't show up in the
settings or options anywhere. Any other advice?
MZT

!