/ Sign-up
Your question

Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge now or AMD bulldozer later??

  • New Build
  • Core
  • Bulldozer
  • AMD
  • Intel i5
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2011 2:12:34 PM

I have a 1000$ budget for my rig and someone recommended that I get a core i5 SB instead of an AMD Athlon X4 645 ..but its a little outta my budget I was wondering ..why not wait for a couple of months for bulldozer which may be cheaper than SB ..what are your thoughts? ..should I wait or get the i5 now or stick with the X4 645?

More about : intel core sandy bridge amd bulldozer

January 25, 2011 2:25:43 PM

The X4 based rigs are very attractively priced, saving about $150-$200 on MB/CPU combo compared to 2500k/P67 based rigs....
January 25, 2011 3:01:44 PM

that's what I told him ..but he wad kinda adamant that I should get an i5 2500k ..
he said it outperform any x4 by a massive 40% margin that true ..I mean I know sandy bridge is good ..but is the margin so much ??
Related resources
a b À AMD
January 25, 2011 4:18:10 PM

Right now, a Sandy Bridge 2500 outperforms a Phenom II X4 955 by about 50%, while using 50% less electricity.
January 25, 2011 6:45:47 PM

Depends on the benchmark.....and what the system will be used for....

Gaming sytems---video card is of 70% importance at 1920x1080 res, and even moreso at higher resolutions.

If $1000 can be spent, I'd likely choose the 2500k/P67 mb as well...

If only $600 can be spent on the actual tower ($1000 is much less when an operating system and 24" monitor must be purchased as well!), a fairly economical X4 rig can be made, using a still fairly nice video card...

I'd much rather have an X4 and GTX580 than a i7/980 and a GTX460.....
January 25, 2011 7:15:44 PM

As for Bulldozer, waiting on something due out months from now to see if it can equal SB a questionable strategy at best.
a b À AMD
January 25, 2011 7:22:55 PM

Bulldozer is supposedly getting initial release in late Feb or early March, so only 6-8 weeks away
January 26, 2011 12:21:51 AM

hmm ..thanks everyone ..I won't be getting the rig now either ways..maybe in a month .. ..
I won't be buying a new OS ..
and I'm thinking a 6950 ..
but I guess ill wait a bit to see what bulldozer is like ..
and wow outperforms a phenom 955 by 50% !! my god ..!! thats amazing ..