RAID array not working in new build.

remingtonveteto

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I built a system yesterday out of entirely new components (aside from my HDD). The thing posted on the first try, and everything seems to be running smooth.

Here's where the problem is:

I tried to move my old hard drives (set up in RAID 0) to the new system. They are recognized in the new bios and it says they're bootable, but when I actually try to boot from them, I get the windows loading screen for a second and then a blue screen flashes too quickly for me to see before it restarts.

I went in to the bios to setup the drives as a raid array, but it didn't fix the problem.

I'm assuming there's a conflict with old/new RAID controllers.

I noticed on the old board, the southbridge is Ich5r and the Sabertooth's southbridge is Ich10r. Is there any backwards compatability between these chips? Is it even possible to get it to recognize the old array and striping patterns?

I didn't setup the old system, so I'm not sure which RAID controller was used to create the array. I've been reading that there was something called a Promise controller on the old board. I'm still not sure what that is exactly, or if it was used to create my array, but it's a possibility.

Old System specs:
MOBO: ASUS P4C800-e
CPU: Pentium 4
RAM: 1 GB DDR

New System Specs
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth x58
CPU: i7 950
RAM: 6GB DDR3

TLDR list of questions:

1) Is there any way to boot my new system from my old RAID 0 drives?
2) Do I possibly need to download drivers for the new hardware and install them somehow through bios? (is that even possible since I can't get to the OS?)
3) Is there any way to get the data off the old RAID 0 drives if I could fresh install an OS on a NEW HDD and boot from it?

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
#1. No
#2. This won't work
#3. Maybe - the trick would be to install the fresh drive with a fresh OS...then connect the RAID and try and extract the data onto the new OS HDD...you would not be able to boot to this array, but it MAY show up and you'd at least MAYBE be able to pull data off

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

#3, No - this won't work, and if you try it you very well risk corrupting the data you have, if you haven't already. Put the drives back into the old machine and boot it up, copy the data to some other medium, drive or dvd's, and then put the drives into the new machine and create a new raid array (effectively destroying all data left on them). I wouldn't even risk it; trying to get these drives recognized on the new board.

remingtonveteto

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Problem with the old computer is that it's been on the fritz, and my best guess is the MOBO is gone. I'm thinking the capacitors went bad. So in order to try putting the drives back in the old system, I'd have to buy a used P4c800-e. And for whatever reason, the cheapest one on ebay is $80. That's way too much for a throw away board. And it might not even fix the problem.

Needless to say, I won't be setting up any new RAID 0 arrays.

Any other ideas that I haven't considered would be good to hear. I've googled as much as I can on the subject and the thing that people seem to keep saying is install the OS again on a new partition and try to extract the files then wipe it. But I still think I need my old system for that method.

Maybe there's a comparable board to the p4c800-e that won't be as expensive, but chances are it wont work.

Anyone know a good professional solution that I could price check?

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Personally I'd try a last ditch effort into the old motherboard. Pull EVERYTHING you don't need. One sick of ram, only the keyboard and mouse and monitor plugged in, and try to get the data as swiftly as you can.

There may be professional products to recover, but I've never used or am aware of any.

RAID 0 is a great tool, but its not a backup or security solution, its performance based and should be used when and where its appropriate. The downfall to raid setups is the array is tied to the hardware used when created. You might be able to find an addin card that has the same / similar promise controller that the old board used, but that would be a roll of the dice to see if it works, but maybe cheaper than the MB?

remingtonveteto

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I'll give that a shot. The only thing that'll change is I'll take out a stick of ram. The rest is pretty basic. I guess I could ditch the sound card. Not sure If I can ditch the GPU and get the thing to work. I guess all that's left to do is try it. I'll post the results later for future readers.