Francisjacob

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hi everyone,

Im really new into to setting up my gaming rig and I think I might have made a mistake.

Got myself an i5-2500k supposedly for overclocking however being the newbie that I am with a slim budget made the mistake of getting a MOBO that supposedly wont/cant support overclocking: Gigabyte H61 USB3.

My question is I guess is there a way for me to overclock the CPU regardless of the MOBO not supporting it? What issues would there be if I overclock it and my MOBO cant support it?

I know the best option would be to just change the MOBO to a higher model but i just spent $1000 and would not have any extra in the next few months.

Below are my specs:

Core i5-2500k
Gigabyte H61
Gskill Ripjaws 1660 8GB (4GBx2)
MSI NGTX560ti Twin Frozr 1GB DDR5
WD 500GB HDD
Cougar 700w
Aero Cool Strike X

TIA!

I would sell your board on craigslist if you have one; anandtech's for sale forum is also good if you have any Heatware ratings. Or you can get a z68 chipset board later. Your board may have a modest setting called "turbo boost" for overclocking. Check the bios.

Francisjacob

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Thanks for the response. so for the turbo boost how far would i be able to over clock my procie? Im looking to bumping it up to 4Ghz.

Are there any harmful effects to doing this given that my board doe not support overclocking?

Thanks again.