$1000 Graphic Design/Film Editing Build (Win7x64)

dtla1730

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Approximate Purchase Date: Jan 27

Budget Range: 890 - 1000 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic/print design, video editing

Parts Not Required:

SILVERSTONE Fortress Series FT03S
1x Noctua NF-B9-1600 92mm Case Fan
2x Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Case Fan
GIGABYTE GV-R583UD-1GD Radeon HD 5830 1GB

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I'd like to be able to see over the bleeding edge without falling.

Overclocking: Maybe (memory)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: n/a I haven't considered the monitor. I'll use what I have until I can afford better again.

Additional Comments:

I'm a minimalist. I would like a quiet, cool and beautiful machine. I hate traditional cases and I always buy behind the curve. This time I would like to build a clean, modern system while sampling interesting and modern technologies as cost effectively as possible. It'll run Windows 7 x64.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS P8P67-M PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s
Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
2x Corsair Performance 3 Series 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD (Raid 0)
SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W

Additional notes:

-Case comes complete with an optical drive
-MB bears a firewire port
-Case comes with 2x 3.5" bays and 1x 2.5" bay but the Corsair Performance 3 SSDs come with brackets. I may fill the 2.5" and one of the 3.5" bays with SSDs and the remaining 3.5" bay with a high capacity hdd.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Without having a roadmap of your (exact) intended software suites and toolsets, it is not possible to make any sort of helpful recommendations.

Can your proposed platform/build be used to edit video ? ... uhmmm ... yes.

Can it handle your intended toolsets, codec density and work-flow ?? ... No-eye-deer.

Do you care about cost vs. performance ?? ... How much ?

How many monitors ?? ... Production Volume ? .. Type of camera ?? ...

Also ... What parts are WITHIN your stated $1,000 USD budget and which parts are OUTSIDE that stated budget ??

The more you can tell us ... the more precisely ... about what you will be doing ... how much of "it" ... and how you weigh critical factors, such as cost and speed ... The more useful our advice may be.

If you REALLY want some useful advice ... tell us everything you know and care about, with regards to your goals and what you "value" most ... your priorities, etc.

Meanwhile ... read this entire thread. (If you have the stomach).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=300314&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

sandybridge

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hyperthreading in 2600k will be useful to your video editing, not so much in desktop publishing. The GPU is overkill. Geforce would be a better choice for i.e. Photoshop CS4/5. The RAID 0 is asking for trouble cuz you have no plan b. You could lose hours of work due to data loss or corruption. The better way would be to get a small Samsung F4 500gig for OS & apps & cache, and a TB drive for backup/storage.

For a quiet case, I recommend this. Don't just look at the photos cuz newegg doesn't show the sound-proofing material in both removable side panels.

"Quiet Computing Technology The Antec Solo features the latest in noise reduction technology, including dual-layer sound deadening panels and a suspension system that makes hard drive noise a thing of the past."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129018