michelm222

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello,

Just got done building a new system about two weeks ago. It freezes up( sometimes bluescreens), sometimes after a few minutes of use, sometimes after a few hours, and on occasion I can go a whole day without it freezing.

And by freezing I mean the whole thing just locks up, the video still displays, but the keyboard\mouse do nothing, have to hard boot it to get it back up.

Here is what I have:

Biostar BIOSTAR TA890GXB HD AM3 AMD 890GX with the latest bios flashed from the biostar website

running the on board ATI Radeon HD 4290, latest drivers installed from ati website( 10.12???, i think)

AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor HDZ740WFK3DGI - OEM

XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS DRW-24B1ST CD DVD

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

Antec Mini p183 case

Windows 7 64 profesional

I monitor the temps using a biostar utility and the CPU stays under 25 and the system stays under 30.

I went into the BIOS to make sure the RAM was recognized correctly( 9-9-9-24) and it was

I run the biostar BIOS activated memory test, for hours, on multiple occasions, always passes.

I run Prime 95 blended test, 2-3 threads, for hours at a time, and it always worked, except for one time, where it reported a hardware failure rounding error. Right after that error, the system locked.

It only seems to lock up when I'm interacting with it with the keyboard\mouse. If I leave it alone it will run prime 95 and my stock market charting application( investor rt ) in playback mode for hours at a time( overnight 8 -10 hours, I think I have let it run for up to 20 hours ), but when I sart using it, it freezes in anywhere form 10 minutes to 10 hours.

Anybody have any ideas on what I should try next ?

BTW, not overclocking or anything like that. I did try to use the biostart utility to unlock the 4th core, but it did not work( would not boot ), so I just went back to 3 cores.

thanks, mike

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Fer sher ...

Definitely do enter your published DRAM timings into the system bios/setup fields and ***SAVE*** upon exit ... GO BACK into the BIOS (after re-start) and check that the published timings (that you entered manually) "stuck"/"took".

DO NOT RELY UPON THE SYSTEM TO AUTO-SENSE RAM TIMINGS !!

SOMEtimes, with 4+ sticks of DDR3, it *might* be necessary to boost the RAM voltage, by a few hundredths, to stabilize ... Like adding a 2nd lawn sprinkler ... Requires just a bit more "pressure". (depending on the RAM and mobo).

michelm222

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Event log shows a bunch of kernel-power events( Event ID 41 ) from me
hard booting the system when it freezes.

Also shows some Events with an ID of 0 and a source of nlsX86cc .
Event data Stop: request seen
nlsX86cc error: 0

Some BugCheck events: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The
bugcheck was: 0x00000034 (0x0000000000050830, 0xfffff88002f465f8,
0xfffff88002f45e60, 0xfffff8800563f3dc). A dump was saved in:
C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 011911-26083-01.

At one point I looked up the bugcheck and it was something to do with
a cache controller...not too sure about how to look up bugcheck codes,
just goggled it and saw a few people saying it was a cache controller
error code....the bugchecks are from some of the few bluescreens
I've gotten I think

Also, the SPD tab of CPUZ timings do not agree( know nothing about RAM
timings ) with the published timings from the Mushkinwebsite(9-9-9-24)

CPUZ timing table reports 9-9-9-25 @ 685MHz

TOVERCLOCKER(biostar provided utility) shows a timing table of:
9-10-10-25 @ 686 Mhz

On the Memory tab of CPUZ it reports:
Type: DDR3
Size: 8192 MBytes
Channels# dual
DC Mode: Unganged
NB Freq: 2000.0 MHz
DRAM Freq 667.7 MHz
FSB DRAM: 3:10
CAS# Latency(CL): 9.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD): 9 clocks
RAS# Precharge(tRP): 9 clocks
Cycle Time(tRAS) 24 clocks
Bank Cycle Time(tRC): 33 clocks
Command Rate(CR) 2T

Really don't know much about the RAM timings, does this look OK.

When I do go enter the RAM timings myself into the BIOS(Alvin Smith's suggestion), should I use
the mushkin 9-9-9-24( which it seems like it is already set to from
the CPUZ memory tab ) or the timings from the CPUZ timing table(
9-9-9-25) or the timings from the TOVERCLOCKER timings table( 9-10-10-25).

Thanks for your help

michelm222

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

OK, did not get to go through the no boot checklist yet, so my issue could be corrected by something in there.....

I did get CPUZ installed and also I already had TOVERCLOCKER(a biostar utility) installed that reports some of the same things as CPUZ.

TOVERLOCKER reports a RAM voltage of ~1.52 when the BIOS is set to auto-sense the ram. Did not see where CPUZ reported the current RAM voltage. In the BIOS setup I can't see what the BIOS has it set to in auto-sense mode. This is the mode I always had it set to and it freezes.

So I went into manual mode, left all the settings alone( same settings auto-sense came up with ) except I bumped the RAM voltage up to 1.6. Then I ran the bios memory test, passed. Then I booted into windows, Locked up right away.

Got pissed, bumped the voltage up to the next increment in the BIOS, 1.65. I skipped the BIOS RAM test, since I have never seen it fail anyway, booted into windows. TOVERCLOCKER reports the voltage as ~1.61. I started prime95 blended( default settings ) using two threads, and my stock market app in playback mode and let it run over night, like 10 hours. Worked OK. Got up this morning and exercised it best as I could. No problems, yet. Is 1.65 too high ? The bios only lets me set it to 1.5, 1.55, 1.6, 1.65....

Also, when I do go and configure the RAM manually, which timings should i use ?

Munkin says: 9-9-9-24
CPUZ Timing tables on the SPD tab says: 9-9-9-25 @ 685MHz
TOVERCLOCKER timings tab: 9-10-10-25 @ 686 Mhz

Thanks for your help

When you manually set your RAM timings in the BIOS, use 9-9-9-24. The specs for that model, show 1.5v. Have you tried that? Slightly increasing the voltage like you did, shouldn't do any harm. You just want to be careful not to go too high. Some RAM naturally run over 2v. Though, I think you're best off keeping it under 1.75v.

michelm222

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
OK, thanks Alvin

As far as setting the 1.5 voltage goes, I'm pretty sure my BIOS choices were:

AUTO( I'm guessing this is 1.5, when set to this TOVERCLOCKER reports actual as ~1.51, also guessing that this is the setting that full auto-sense uses, but in the BIOS I can't get to this screen with auto-sense on )

So I can't specifically pick 1.5, but I'm pretty sure auto is 1.5.

I will try what you suggested manually set 9-9-9-24 starting with AUTO voltage and if needed work the voltage up to no more than 1.75

Thank you