Need help choosing a video card - 4850 vs 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon13

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
So I built a computer last year and I used an on board GPU (HD 3300). My board is able to crossfire so I think I'll stick to ATI for now.

I've done some research (including the best video cards for the money from Tom's - which is great!) but I'm still undecided. I'm considering these 2 cards at the moment (but I'm open to suggestions):

HIS H485FM512H HD 4850 iCooler IV Video Card - 512MB GDDR3: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6348624&CatId=3670

OR

HIS H577QT1GD Radeon HD 5770 IceQ 5 Turbo Video Card - 1GB GDDR5: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076195&csid=ITD&body=MAIN

I'm a bit torn since the 5770 has the directX11 and the 1GB memory, but the 4850 is a bit less $$ and has a 256-bit interface. Any thoughts on this?

-Carbon13

More info:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Probably before end of year BUDGET RANGE: ~$100-140 CND / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mainly high def movies on a 42" LCD, some light gaming

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: on-board ATI Radeon HD 3300 and Corsair VX550 PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: ASUS M4A78T-E motherboard, Antec 300 case, AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black ed CPU, 4G DDR3 GSKILL

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tigerdirect.ca, newegg.ca, ncix.com, directcanada.com, CanadaComputers COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI and a decent brand

OVERCLOCKING: Unlikely to overclock, may crossfire in future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I have a 120Hz 42" LCD as my monitor.

Solution
I prefer nVidia by far - the drivers work earlier, and most often better. Its a tribute to how horrid the initial 4XX announcements were that I'm running ATI cards in my two main rigs lol.

I usually try to make sure a single vid card is going to meet my needs. I do not like being dependent on SLI or xfire, which - in my experience - does not always improve minimum frame rates. So I would stretch my budget now, and get a 460.

The other alternative is to go light, and preserve the ability to add a second card if you got it wrong. In that case, you need a large enough psu and you're better off with an AMD card because xfrie is supported on your mobo.

carbon13

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Twoboxer - thanks for the advice. The $15 isn't a big deal, I'm just wondering if it's really worth it for what I use it for. Also, any thoughts on the 128-bit interface (5770) vs the 256-bit (4850)?

-Carbon13

carbon13

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Thanks, but as Twoboxer pointed out...newegg.CA...not newegg.COM...OH CANADA!! :(

And the kicker is: our dollar is pretty much on par now...

Hockey fan. Big time. Love the anthem. Think its a superb example of what an anthem should be.

Also worked briefly for a man whose ancestral family member had something to do with writing it. (And who had another relative at Molson who got us into the owners box at the old Forum one wonderful night.)

carbon13

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
So I have a couple votes for the 5770. Any other suggestions from the forum? Is the HIS card I listed a decent quality 5770? Remember, I'm mainly using for HD movies on a 42" LCD; with some occasional gaming (but nothing too serious).

Roughly speaking, as you can gather reading the Tom's November article:

450 ~= 5750
460 768mb
460 1GB (purchased OC'd, as most are) ~= 6850

For video & light gaming, frankly, any will work. The further down the list you go, the more likely you will be kept happy as/if you grab games that are more demanding.

carbon13

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
450 is an interesting option. But my board is crossfire compatible, that's why I was leaning to an ATI card. I know a lot of people that prefer the nvidea but do you think that's a good choice given my hardware?

I prefer nVidia by far - the drivers work earlier, and most often better. Its a tribute to how horrid the initial 4XX announcements were that I'm running ATI cards in my two main rigs lol.

I usually try to make sure a single vid card is going to meet my needs. I do not like being dependent on SLI or xfire, which - in my experience - does not always improve minimum frame rates. So I would stretch my budget now, and get a 460.

The other alternative is to go light, and preserve the ability to add a second card if you got it wrong. In that case, you need a large enough psu and you're better off with an AMD card because xfrie is supported on your mobo.

Solution

carbon13

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Now you really have me thinking. The 460 looks like a sweet card, but at $150 it's stretching my budget. The 5770 is more doable at $125, plus it gives me some xfire options later on. I think I may wait until after xmas and see if there are any deals, maybe if the 460 is a steal somewhere I'll go that route.

Twoboxer - Thanks for all your help! Cheers,

-Carbon13

Status
Not open for further replies.