Pc blown up

hi i recently built a computer with a 250gts graphics card that was overheating so have been runing it without it untill yesterday when i atatched a musashi gpu cooler to it instead of the origional cooler. the computer worked fine for about an hour or two playing ArmA2 with the card never rising above 60c untill suddenly there was a pop and the whole system suddenly shut down and there was a faint burning smell. i unpluged the system untill today and looked at the system and there isnt anything wrong with it at first glance but the system wont turn on or show any sighns of life. the motherboard should always provide power to the usb ports even when the power is off but my wireless mouse and network adapters are off as well as my keyboard. i have tried removing the graphics card which apears and smells fine and replacing the fuse in the power cable but neither of these tings fixed it. does anyone have any idea wheat might have caused this or what the problem is. i think it may have been that i put too much stress on the power sorce and blew that up but that is only a theory
any help will be much apreciated and apologies for spelling and grammer mistakes
MoBo - gigabyte ma785gm-us2h
processor - amd phenom II black edition (3.4ghz quad core)
graphics card - 250gts with musashi cooler
550w power sorce
3gb of ram
270gb ish hard drive and a disk drive
8 answers Last reply
More about blown
  1. Likely the PSU, pull it out and smell it, if it blew something it will be obvious. Also look at your motherboard and make sure you dont see any blown capacitors on there.


    What 550W PSU did you have? If its an older one it may not have had enough current on the 12V rail.
  2. Quote:
    550w power sorce


    Likely the problem.

    Smell the back of the power supply, if it smells burnt, it is.
  3. Even a low brand 550w should be able to power a dinky computer like that. Maybe it was just at the end of it's life. -shrugs-
  4. it shouldnt be the end of its life it was built in august last year. i havent got time to check the psu untill tonight but its a R-Senda DR-350T
  5. This the one you have?
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/293265147/ATX_power_supply_PSU_PC_Power.html

    If so, i know why it blew its top, its an old design, no where near 500W continuous, and only has 12A on the 12V rail which is super weak to try to power a modern system on.
  6. plus it was an r-senda, you can get a decent poersupply in the 550-650 watt range from a name brand company for relatively cheap. It's worth the investment to protect your investment. Buy from a known name brand.
  7. hunter315 said:
    This the one you have?
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/293265147/ATX_power_supply_PSU_PC_Power.html

    If so, i know why it blew its top, its an old design, no where near 500W continuous, and only has 12A on the 12V rail which is super weak to try to power a modern system on.


    yep thats the one iv got so when i get some cash i will invest in a better one thanks for all the help
  8. try checking out directron, newegg, or even amazon for any of the bigger name brand ones. Seasonic, Pc power and cooling, and several other companies have really good power supplies with 5-7 year warranties.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Systems