Needs help(trying to fix my fps problem)

Hello,
I'm having difficulty with my comp giving low frame rates I have 6 gigs of ram ddr2, 2.3 ghz amd quad core processor, biostar motherboard, 450 duel fan 1gb by Gigabyte. Is there any reason why I should be running Rift or any game at low frame rates??
8 answers Last reply
More about needs help trying problem
  1. What resolution do you play at?

Improperly matched graphics card & resolution is the #1 cause of low frame rates. Only after that is determined should you start worrying about the rest of your computer.
  2. I have a 25 inch monitor that runs at 1920 x 1080 ^gts 450
  3. Tom's Hardware Best Graphics Cards for the Money (Jan 2011) suggests that the GTS 450 can run at 1920x1080 with an acceptable framerate at lowered details.

Are you running at max details? Have you tried turning them down, or lowering your resolution to 1680x1050? If either of those improves your fps significantly, the answer is that you don't have enough graphics card for 1920x1080.

Anandtech, unfortunately, hasn't tested the GTS 450, so there isn't any useful comparison vs. other cards. I suspect that if you google "GTS 450 rift benchmarks" though, you would find some useful comparisons. Or maybe take out "rift" and just compare to other similar game benchmarks.

Another question is: what are the "low" framerates you're getting? 10? 20? 30?
  4. I tried world of warcraft and that got 30 fps at ultra, I was looking for a card that can handle 60 fps on WoW at least... Could you guide me in that direction for up to 120- 200?
  5. Toms HW rates the GTS 450 as having Exceptional 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in most games with lowered details:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6870-geforce-gtx-570,2834-3.html
    Also your processor is just about the slowest quad core in the market. A dual or triple core chip like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103911
    or this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846
    will give you much better bang for your buck if gaming is your main concern...
    The 2.3ghz quad core has its place for productivity software but will suffer in gaming.
  6. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, it is the overlocked version coreclock 930 memory clock 4000
  7. You can pick up a GTX 460 1 gb for around $200 now that the GTX 560 has been released as of today. Stay away from the 768 Mb models as they are inferior.
  8. As mentioned above, you could try lowering your resolution and/or details and see if that improves your fps, for a no-cost fps increase. Tom's had an article back in December about the effects of the various detail settings in WoW and what effect they have on your frame rate. Shadow quality, of course, is one of the big ones.

Take note that the charts they use for fps isn't tested in Org or in raids, it's done with one of the least-stressful things in WoW, flying from one point to another. However, there appears to be a big gap in performance between a GTS 450 and a GTX 460 at 1920x1080.

Assuming you don't have an nVidia northbridge motherboard (as they're not all that common), you can't SLI another GTS 450, so your next best choice would be to get a bigger graphics card, either a GTX 460 1 GB (as pacioli suggests) or an ATI 6850 for $175+.

I'd look at upgrading your processor as a worst-case option, as it's likely you've got an AM2+ mobo, which is old tech at this point, and you'd be better off upgrading to either an Intel SandyBridge setup or waiting for Bulldozer in the late spring, but either of those upgrades includes CPU/mobo/RAM, and isn't going to be $200.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product