Hello, I'm in need of some tech support.

turizal

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
HP pavilion slimline s3012n
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz
Vista 32 bit
1918 MB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
160W power supply
asustek M2NC51-AR (HematiteXL) motherboard

My computer has been working fine for a year but then this happens;
From fractions of a second up to a full second the computer "stutters" or skips frames during that time period EVERY 2 seconds constantly untill I exit out the game. The more demanding the game, the more it happens.

I'm sure it is not a temperature problem, because it can still happen right when I turn on the computer from it being off overnight. When the problem is occurring, I check my task manager and the process, System Nt Kernal, is eating up about 30-95% of my cpu and it subsides if i leave the computer alone after exiting out of my game. I've tried anything from multiple virus scans and hijackthis but nothing comes up.

Any input would greatly be appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read through this.

-Terrell

worthrinz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
What kind of games are you playing? I'd say it could be multiple things at this point, but it's mostly your GPU(Graphics Processor Unit) your using an outdated GPU (Released around 04'-05') and you won't be able to play any modern games with it, even at the lowest possible settings. As well, your PSU(Power Supply Unit) wouldn't be able to support any upgrade without upgrading it first.

Sorry mate :(

j0K3rsa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
True that. Depending on the games your trying to play... If you wanna play Crysis 2, your machine is going to DIE !!! Yet, if your PC lags in Diablo 2 or something like that, you might also want to check Spyware... Anything else, ask away !

turizal

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I play shooter games mostly, older games like starcraft and diablo 2 runs fine, games like AVA I get decent fps like 30-40 but the stutters are whats ruining it for me. sometimes games like crossfire stutters after playing awhile but it never did before. yes i know my computer is old but i guess ill have to deal with it untill i can get a new one.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
its overheating. Typical of most HP comps that old... i fixed my friends HP who stuttered a lot while playing older games and had a on board 9100se.

Just blow out the dust and itll fix it usually if its overheating.......

if not... time for a new comp.

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Hey dude. Have you tried cleaning out your registry? I had this happen and that was the problem (on my old pc). Go to Download.com and find a program called Ccleaner. It's really easy to use and has a registry cleaner. I bet this will help you out alot. Also make sure your CPU fan is still working properly. Let me know if this fixes your problem! Good luck! Hope it does!