Sign in with
Your question

MSI H61A-P35 won't boot. Fails POST. Help!

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2011 9:21:21 PM

During POST, I get a black screen with the following message. It then goes to the Windows Loading screen for a second and then restarts.

Asmedia 106X SATA Controller Ver 0.93 IDE Mode
Copyright (C) Asmedia Technologies, Inc. All Right reserved.
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen2
Can't find any device

Build:
Windows Vista 32bit
MSI PH61A-P35 motherboard
i3-2100 3.1ghz
Sapphire Radeon 6870 (100314-3L)
OCZ 600W PSU (OCZ600MXSP)
G.Skill 4GB 1333 RAM (2x2gb)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB, model 7200.11
LG Blu-Ray Disc Drive (LG GGC-H20L)

Unable to find much talk about this type of problem. One thread suggested a CPU fan issue? Another suggested it was a Sata3/6 issue, but I've checked and my HDD (3gb/s) is in one of the Sata 3 slots on the mobo, and in BIOS setup, it recognizes the HDD.

Help? Thanks.
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 9:34:37 PM

Did u update anything before that happened?

Or started to use a new device?

Or made any changes to the system?
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2011 9:50:44 PM

Sorry, it is a new build. I am re-using the ODD and HDD from my previous computer.

When I first turned it on, I was prompted to enter setup, but I didn't change anything. I have reset to defaults from within the BIOS setup.

I also just tried to boot without my graphics card installed, but still get same POST message, so I assume it's a HD/MB issue /: After it restarts itself, it boots to a black "Windows Error Recovery" screen where I can either Launch Startup Repair Utility or Load Windows Normally; the Startup Repair just tries to reset to a previous restore point.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 9:53:52 PM

Did u do a clean install?
m
l
December 28, 2011 9:55:39 PM

Of Windows? No. I just hooked up the HD. Do I need to wipe it /: ?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 9:59:55 PM

Well, sometimes it works, but it is far from ideal! Yes, that is in order.

Are u using different CPU and mobo? Yes if I understand correctly. So u have different chip set installed, wrong drivers for the mobo and the GPU.
m
l
December 28, 2011 10:01:08 PM

I probably can't install the drivers on the HD without the hardware being installed, huh? If I were to plop the HD back into my old system and load new drivers on it.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 10:01:23 PM

That is your problem. But its easy to fix it. U need to save the data to another HDD.Do u have one? Or do u know how to do it?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 10:03:47 PM

paroxymous said:
I probably can't install the drivers on the HD without the hardware being installed, huh? If I were to plop the HD back into my old system and load new drivers on it.

OK, it still might not work right. U can have errors all the time. Hard time to install software and drivers.

Clean install is the way out of there.
m
l
December 28, 2011 10:09:38 PM

Yeah, I have an external HDD. The problem is, I don't have the original Windows Vista DVD. I have another DVD that I used to put windows on my mac bootcamp. Will that work? Is it easier to just buy a new internal HDD?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 10:17:26 PM

paroxymous said:
Yeah, I have an external HDD. The problem is, I don't have the original Windows Vista DVD. I have another DVD that I used to put windows on my mac bootcamp. Will that work? Is it easier to just buy a new internal HDD?

What Vista do u have? Is it retail? Or OEM?
m
l
December 28, 2011 10:28:35 PM

It's a Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit I'm pretty sure). It says "Not for retail or OEM Distribution" on it... It's a "student and faculty" license.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 10:38:50 PM

And if u can do better, get the student one : )
m
l
December 28, 2011 11:31:23 PM

Yeah, I should be able to use the Vista disc for now. I'd upgrade to Windows 7, but I'm just cheap (thus, re-using the HDD). Is there a quality guide/walkthrough out there for backing up data and performing a clean install? Thanks for your help.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 11:33:31 PM

OK, how much data u need to save? in gigabytes? Any idea?
m
l
December 28, 2011 11:46:03 PM

I have about 250GB copying to an external now. I'd love to transfer a handful of software too, but I've heard you need to just re-install it.
m
l
December 28, 2011 11:47:51 PM

One of the bummers is going to be SWTOR, which took 6 hours to download =/ but might be worth backing up and see if it works when transferred back.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 11:50:57 PM

paroxymous said:
I have about 250GB copying to an external now. I'd love to transfer a handful of software too, but I've heard you need to just re-install it.

Yes, the software will need to be re-installed. Can u hook it up with the old mobo?

Than u could just buy another internal HDD and transfer it that way, the fastest way. Just drag the files over. That's how I would do it.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 11:51:42 PM

Also it should work, your Vista upgrade.
m
l
December 29, 2011 12:11:15 AM

I'll just backup what I can and then wipe my current HDD. I won't need the files right away, so I'll just transfer them when I'm not using the computer. HDD prices are so high right now anyway.

But when I'm ready to perform the clean install, I do it with the HDD in the new machine, right? And just boot from the DVD drive?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 12:19:01 AM

paroxymous said:
I'll just backup what I can and then wipe my current HDD. I won't need the files right away, so I'll just transfer them when I'm not using the computer. HDD prices are so high right now anyway.

But when I'm ready to perform the clean install, I do it with the HDD in the new machine, right? And just boot from the DVD drive?

First u will download the latest drivers and put them on another HDD or USB pendrive or a CD..

Than u make sure that all the parts are working, so I don't have to take everything out again if something doesn't work.. I do that outside of my vase on square piece of wood so I don't short anything.

If all OK, than install it to the case and install the Windows.

And use Antistatic wrist strap so u dont damage your CPU, GPU, RAM and Mobo!

m
l
December 29, 2011 12:28:53 AM

Quote:
Than u make sure that all the parts are working

How do you do that without being able to boot? I hope everything is working... even though I get the "Can't find any device" message above.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 12:33:16 AM

paroxymous said:
Quote:
Than u make sure that all the parts are working

How do you do that without being able to boot? I hope everything is working... even though I get the "Can't find any device" message above.

U can see if the parts are going ON.

Its just a basic check, but it surely beats removing faulty mobo, after u fixed all the cables and such.
m
l
December 29, 2011 4:35:42 AM

After performing a clean install of Vista, it boots now! I've installed the drivers for the motherboard from the DVD that came, updated graphics card driver, but the mobo still beeps during POST and shows the same "Can't find any device" message, but it does boot Windows now.

A few things still:

1. It's only showing 3GB of RAM when I have 2x2GB installed.
2. Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) cannot start (Code 10) error message. I can locate the driver, but it fails to install.
3. SM Bus Controller: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Update: I did a Windows "Update Driver..." on the SM Bus Controller and it renamed the device listing as "Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Conrtoller - 1C22" and the warning went away, but under the device info it still says there are no drivers installed for the device.

Update #2: No memory errors detected when I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:01:23 AM

I had that ethernet controller issue a few days ago, try installing this: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/PH61A-P35--B3-.html#/?div...

its the one that says realtek family ethernet controller

and make sure your vista is patched all the way.

and about the SM bus controller, I have no idea mine says that too but it hasn't caused an issue yet so im just ignoring it :) 
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:06:05 AM

paroxymous said:
After performing a clean install of Vista, it boots now! I've installed the drivers for the motherboard from the DVD that came, updated graphics card driver, but the mobo still beeps during POST and shows the same "Can't find any device" message, but it does boot Windows now.

A few things still:

1. It's only showing 3GB of RAM when I have 2x2GB installed.
2. Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) cannot start (Code 10) error message. I can locate the driver, but it fails to install.
3. SM Bus Controller: The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Update: I did a Windows "Update Driver..." on the SM Bus Controller and it renamed the device listing as "Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Conrtoller - 1C22" and the warning went away, but under the device info it still says there are no drivers installed for the device.

Update #2: No memory errors detected when I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL

Well, u have a x32bit windows version, right? It won't post more... as is.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:17:01 AM

paroxymous said:
@mouse24: Thanks. I ended up finding an updated driver from realtek on another computer, and installed it from a flash drive and it now works properly with the simplified "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller."

@nikorr: Really? I thought 32-bit limit was 4GB. Is Vista hogging a whole GB so badly that it doesn't even let me know?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

That is correct, but your mobo under x32bit will not post more than 3GB, as is.
m
l
December 29, 2011 5:33:49 AM

Bah. Where did you find that? I've looked in the manual and on msi support site and can't find anything about a 3GB limit. That would have been nice to know ahead of time heh. Is it that just a common thing with H61 boards in general that I missed?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:37:17 AM

Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB.

Install a 64-bit Windows® OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:37:57 AM

Sorry, I didn't made it up. Its a fact for x32 bit system.

Some mobos can show 3.25GB, but most will not.
m
l
December 29, 2011 5:48:51 AM

Ahh yes, I see that disclaimer on other H61 boards. Must have missed it when I was looking at the other ones. Well, maybe I'll be looking Windows 7 after all!

Any ideas on the POST message sticking around still? I guess it's not an issue as it boots fine now, but something's not right. Hopefully it goes away after the 100+ windows updates.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:55:49 AM

OK, u did few things already, what is the problem with post msg, what is it saying?
m
l
December 29, 2011 5:57:55 AM

Is it really only allowing 3GB max including OS or is it still reading 4GB, but Windows is reserving 1GB for itself, and then ~3GB is still free?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:58:05 AM

What is the exact version of the Vista now?

What service pack do u have? SP2?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 5:59:01 AM

paroxymous said:
Is it really only allowing 3GB max including OS or is it still reading 4GB, but Windows is reserving 1GB for itself, and then ~3GB is still free?

Yes, it already happened to u.
m
l
December 29, 2011 6:01:16 AM

Quote:
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen2
Can't find any device

Still getting that message on the very first black screen when I turn on the comp. Unlike the start of this problem, though, Windows does boot now (instead of the system restarting as soon as it tried to boot OS.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 6:07:48 AM

paroxymous said:
Quote:
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen2
Can't find any device

Still getting that message on the very first black screen when I turn on the comp. Unlike the start of this problem, though, Windows does boot now (instead of the system restarting as soon as it tried to boot OS.

Did u install this one

Intel TPM Device Driver + Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers

m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 2:41:38 PM

paroxymous said:
Quote:
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen2
Can't find any device

Thats the driver for the SATA 6G ports loading --- If you are not using any SATA 6G devices nothing to worry about as it is just telling you there are no 6G compatible devices being found !
m
l
December 29, 2011 8:49:05 PM

Quote:
Did u install this one
Intel TPM Device Driver + Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers

No, I grabbed the following from Realtek.com: 8111DP DASH All-In-One installation kit for WinXP/Vista/Win7 - 1.12.0022.

Quote:
What is the exact version of the Vista now?

I'm downloading SP1 and SP2 for 32-bit Vista and will install them when I get home. I'll let you know if it affects the POST message.

Quote:
Thats the driver for the SATA 6G ports loading --- If you are not using any SATA 6G devices nothing to worry about as it is just telling you there are no 6G compatible devices being found !

Thanks for the explanation! Does this SATA Controller control anything other than the 6 SATA slots (4 3G + 2 6G)? I only have the HDD and ODD plugged into 2 of the 3G ones. Seems weird to me that it displays that message when nothing is plugged in to the 6G slots, no? If it's not an issue, I'm just curious!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 8:58:55 PM

paroxymous said:

Thanks for the explanation! Does this SATA Controller control anything other than the 6 SATA slots (4 3G + 2 6G)? I only have the HDD and ODD plugged into 2 of the 3G ones. Seems weird to me that it displays that message when nothing is plugged in to the 6G slots, no? If it's not an issue, I'm just curious!

Actually I believe it is only for the 2 SATA 6G ports -- which is why it would not be finding the drives in the 3G ports since they are using a different driver.
m
l
!