MSI H61A-P35 won't boot. Fails POST. Help!

paroxymous

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
During POST, I get a black screen with the following message. It then goes to the Windows Loading screen for a second and then restarts.

Asmedia 106X SATA Controller Ver 0.93 IDE Mode
Copyright (C) Asmedia Technologies, Inc. All Right reserved.
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen2
Can't find any device

Build:
Windows Vista 32bit
MSI PH61A-P35 motherboard
i3-2100 3.1ghz
Sapphire Radeon 6870 (100314-3L)
OCZ 600W PSU (OCZ600MXSP)
G.Skill 4GB 1333 RAM (2x2gb)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB, model 7200.11
LG Blu-Ray Disc Drive (LG GGC-H20L)

Unable to find much talk about this type of problem. One thread suggested a CPU fan issue? Another suggested it was a Sata3/6 issue, but I've checked and my HDD (3gb/s) is in one of the Sata 3 slots on the mobo, and in BIOS setup, it recognizes the HDD.

Help? Thanks.

paroxymous

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Sorry, it is a new build. I am re-using the ODD and HDD from my previous computer.

When I first turned it on, I was prompted to enter setup, but I didn't change anything. I have reset to defaults from within the BIOS setup.

I also just tried to boot without my graphics card installed, but still get same POST message, so I assume it's a HD/MB issue /: After it restarts itself, it boots to a black "Windows Error Recovery" screen where I can either Launch Startup Repair Utility or Load Windows Normally; the Startup Repair just tries to reset to a previous restore point.

OK, it still might not work right. U can have errors all the time. Hard time to install software and drivers.

Clean install is the way out of there.

paroxymous

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Yeah, I have an external HDD. The problem is, I don't have the original Windows Vista DVD. I have another DVD that I used to put windows on my mac bootcamp. Will that work? Is it easier to just buy a new internal HDD?

What Vista do u have? Is it retail? Or OEM?

paroxymous

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Yeah, I should be able to use the Vista disc for now. I'd upgrade to Windows 7, but I'm just cheap (thus, re-using the HDD). Is there a quality guide/walkthrough out there for backing up data and performing a clean install? Thanks for your help.

Yes, the software will need to be re-installed. Can u hook it up with the old mobo?

Than u could just buy another internal HDD and transfer it that way, the fastest way. Just drag the files over. That's how I would do it.

paroxymous

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I'll just backup what I can and then wipe my current HDD. I won't need the files right away, so I'll just transfer them when I'm not using the computer. HDD prices are so high right now anyway.

But when I'm ready to perform the clean install, I do it with the HDD in the new machine, right? And just boot from the DVD drive?

First u will download the latest drivers and put them on another HDD or USB pendrive or a CD..

Than u make sure that all the parts are working, so I don't have to take everything out again if something doesn't work.. I do that outside of my vase on square piece of wood so I don't short anything.

If all OK, than install it to the case and install the Windows.

And use Antistatic wrist strap so u dont damage your CPU, GPU, RAM and Mobo!

antistatic-wrist-demo.jpg