Dual Channel Issues

bluishpaladin

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hello,

I recently built a system and everything was working fine. I've been using some 2x2gb 1300mhz ram (Mushkin 996652) but I recently got some 2x4gb 1600mhz ram. This morning my computer suddenly refused to POST - it continuously restarts before sending a signal to the monitor. After some fiddling I've realized that no matter which set of memory is used (and since they're different freq and manufacturer I have only installed one set at a time) if the RAM is in dual channel it won't POST but if the two sticks are single channel in channel B everything is fine. If any sticks are placed in Channel A (even singly) I get the continuous restart error.

At this point my theory is that the Channel A is dead for some reason and I should RMA. But I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has other ideas. I have tried fiddling with the memory settings in BIOS including loading the fail safe defaults and flashing to the latest version. I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice. Thanks.

-Anthony

Specs:

i5 2500K
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Antec Sonata III 500 (with included PSU that has worked great for a couple of years)
GT 240 (has also worked fine for a year)

bluishpaladin

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
For the sake of anyone who google's this I'll finish up with what happened. I took it back to the retailer, who was kind enough to swap the motherboard for another. Even more surprisingly, they were nice enough to test if the new MB had the same problem - it did. Turns out the memory controller on the processor was the issue. Once they put a new 2500 K into my original motherboard it worked fine.

It's definitely a surprise for me as I've always thought CPU's were very reliable.

internetswag

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Glad to see you got your problem fixed. Always heart warming to see such nice service from retailers.