Graphics Card Upgrade for a 5 year old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: May, 2006. HP Pavilion t3250.uk (All parts are the same, 0 failures...)
BUDGET RANGE: Up to ~$200

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Online gaming @1280x1024, watching movies...

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TC 256MB DDR RAM (64MB on-board), 300 W PSU BESTEC ATX-300-12Z Rev. CC (I'm not going to upgrade it)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Pentium 4 640 @3.20GHz (Prescott) LGA 775, 1x PCIe 1.1 @16, 2x512MB (1GB) DDR2-533 SDRAM (PC-4300) (I'm thinking of upgrading my memory as well; what are the options? (4 DIMM slots)), Windows XP Pro SP3

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I care more about the products, than where to get them - any information is relevant.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm only interested in NVIDIA cards as I researched them a lot. I'm thinking of those: GeForce 9400GT, GT210 and GT240, but I would like to get some recommendations.

OVERCLOCKING: Absolutely not. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No way.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to upgrage my old PC to its limits, play with it for a while, build a new gaming PC and then say goodbye to the old one :) Again, any information/recommendation is welcome.

Solution
I think the GT240 is the maximum your Power Supply can handle,yours is 19A and the GT240 requires 18.
So get the GT240 and upgrade your RAM about 2 Gigs more it will help your comp as 1g isn't alot but anything more than 2 would really be a waste.Your not going to get much from a single core CPU.It seems more logical to save your money for a new PC and not to spend it on little upgrades that will do to little.

Goodluck and happy gaming!!!

If you upgraded any more than a gt240 you would get a bottleneck. If you really want a strong card you will need more CPU RAM and PSU.

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

I don't want a stronger card/cpu. I want to max out my old PC and use it until I can build a proper gaming PC :) Any suggestions on RAM? 4x1GB, 2x2GB 1x1GB? 1x1GB+512x512MB?

I think the GT240 is the maximum your Power Supply can handle,yours is 19A and the GT240 requires 18.
So get the GT240 and upgrade your RAM about 2 Gigs more it will help your comp as 1g isn't alot but anything more than 2 would really be a waste.Your not going to get much from a single core CPU.It seems more logical to save your money for a new PC and not to spend it on little upgrades that will do to little.

Goodluck and happy gaming!!!

Solution
Remember that your motherboard does have a limit to how much RAM you can put in it AND more RAM will require more power.I would suggest getting 1g more of RAM, disreguard my comment about getting 2.I have burned out my RAM in the past from it be underpowered.You are pushing the limitations of your Power Supply and it is 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.