What price to ask for an image??

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 30, 2005 2:53:52 AM

I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a professional
photo lab.

I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass or fancy
border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100 (Australian dollars).

The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.

How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?

regards

PeterH

More about : price image

January 30, 2005 2:53:53 AM

Rule of thumb is normally twice the cost unless you are well established.
The Gallery may have some pointers.

"My View" <reply to newsproup@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a
professional
> photo lab.
>
> I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass or
fancy
> border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100 (Australian dollars).
>
> The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.
>
> How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?
>
> regards
>
> PeterH

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:53:53 AM

My View wrote:
> I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a
> professional photo lab.
>
> I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass
> or fancy border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100
> (Australian dollars).
> The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.
>
> How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?

Doesn't it depend to some degree on what you hope to accomplish by the
sale?

If it is to make a sale: less than, or as little more than the cost to
you, just to get it out (of) there.

If it is to establish a value for your work commensurate with your
estimate, that estimate plus your cost.

What your choice will do is communicate how you regard your work as well
as establish expectations—yours and those of others—for future
instances. Think carefully about the arena you are operating in, and
what your reasonable plans are.

For my part, I will pay as much as $250 USD for a print that resonates,
quite apart from author, mount, or frame. More than that, the author,
mount, and frame must be remarkable. Much than that, I have a tendency
to pass, figuring if the author values it at that level, I could
probably come close to doing it myself.

--
Frank ess
January 30, 2005 2:53:54 AM

Frank ess wrote:
> My View wrote:
>> I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a
>> professional photo lab.
>>
>> I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass
>> or fancy border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100
>> (Australian dollars).
>> The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.
>>
>> How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?
>>
> Doesn't it depend to some degree on what you hope to accomplish by the
> sale?
>
> If it is to make a sale: less than, or as little more than the cost to
> you, just to get it out (of) there.
>
> If it is to establish a value for your work commensurate with your
> estimate, that estimate plus your cost.
>
> What your choice will do is communicate how you regard your work as
> well as establish expectations—yours and those of others—for future
> instances. Think carefully about the arena you are operating in, and
> what your reasonable plans are.
>
> For my part, I will pay as much as $250 USD for a print that
> resonates, quite apart from author, mount, or frame. More than that,
> the author, mount, and frame must be remarkable. Much than that, I
> have a tendency to pass, figuring if the author values it at that
> level, I could probably come close to doing it myself.

.... Much LESS than that ...

Sheesh.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Thanks Darrell - I was thinking along those lines.

"Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
> Rule of thumb is normally twice the cost unless you are well established.
> The Gallery may have some pointers.
>
> "My View" <reply to newsproup@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a
> professional
>> photo lab.
>>
>> I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass or
> fancy
>> border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100 (Australian
>> dollars).
>>
>> The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.
>>
>> How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> PeterH

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:29:14 AM

My View wrote:
> I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a professional
> photo lab.
>
> I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass or fancy
> border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100 (Australian dollars).
>
> The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.
>
> How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?
>
> regards
>
> PeterH

Double your overhead otherwise you are wasting time for little return.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:51:15 AM

Advice:
I would never purchase a print that is not properly framed. I can see your
print next to properly matted and framed prints. Don't cut corners. A good
frame job really sets off a print. It can get costly, but it can sell your
art.

If you plan on selling prints, you should consider learning proper framing
and doing it yourself. A $120 job will cost you only $30 or so using the
same quality materials. You'll have to buy some tools, but given huge
savings, they will pay for themselves in 2 or three frame jobs.
John

"My View" <reply to newsproup@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a professional
>photo lab.
>
> I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass or
> fancy border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100 (Australian
> dollars).
>
> The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.
>
> How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?
>
> regards
>
> PeterH

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:33:15 PM

I have some video that I shot a few years ago.

I handed out a few copies to people in avi format on CD.

To my surprise a museum contacted me wanting to buy a copy of my
original video for a display they were doing. We started talking price
but my main sticking point was that I retain copyright of the video (I
did not want them selling it to others without my getting a cut).

They lost interest when I continued to insist on retaining the copyright.

My View wrote:
> I have an image I will be enlarging to A2 (600mm x 400mm) by a professional
> photo lab.
>
> I intend having it laminated and mounted on a black frame (no glass or fancy
> border frame). Total cost for all this is about $100 (Australian dollars).
>
> The image is to be displayed in an art exhibition.
>
> How can I determine a reasonable price to ask for this image?
>
> regards
>
> PeterH

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:12:42 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:33:15 -0700, william kossack
<wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have some video that I shot a few years ago.
>
>I handed out a few copies to people in avi format on CD.
>
>To my surprise a museum contacted me wanting to buy a copy of my
>original video for a display they were doing. We started talking price
>but my main sticking point was that I retain copyright of the video (I
>did not want them selling it to others without my getting a cut).
>
>They lost interest when I continued to insist on retaining the copyright.

You lose! :)  Sounds like they flagged you as high-maintenance and
washed their hands of ya. You should've just discussed price;
copyright isn't up for discussion... it's yours by default; plain and
simple!
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:12:43 AM

I did cry a bit because they had offered something with 4 figures for
the video which made me think they wanted to resell it. I guess they
found another source probably from PBS.

!