Solved

A HTPC / Light Gaming / Video Encoding GPU Upgrade.

I'm planing on buying a video card around the first week of January in the 75$ to 100$ price range (before rebates). I'll be using it mainly for playing some Test Drive Unlimited 2, Live For Speed and some home theater use. I was also hoping to use the card the accelerate video encoding. I have on board graphics right now, so any upgrade will be a massive improvement.

My system specs are:
  • CPU: Intel P4 Prescott 3.06GHz (LGA775) (No, I'm not kidding.)
  • Mobo: Foxconn RC4107MA-S2
  • Memory: 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 PC-5300.
  • Monitor: 1080p via HDMI @ 60Hz 17" HDTV. (Also have a VGA Monitor 1024x768 @ 85Hz, but who would want to use that?)
  • PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green 380 Watt

I'm a fan of Newegg and would prefer them for a part recommendation and would appreciate it if you used them as your baseline for pricing. I'm in New York, USA. I don't really care if it's an AMD (*Sniff*, ATi.) as the chip set has a Readon Xpress 200 it would make some sense to stick with AMD but I also like nVidia's cards as the last graphics card I had was a 6800 GT and I was in love with that. So I've used both and love both companies. Overclocking is fine with me. Don't care about SLI or Crossfire, I only have 1 PCIe 16x slot on the Mobo. I don't really intend on running AA or AF, but I would not mind the option of being able to do that as my screen is only a 17" with the pixels so packed I really don't think AA would make much of a difference and I consider smooth game play more important then having all of the bells and whistles on (although I would prefer to max everything out, minus AA & AF).

I'm mainly considering right now a XFX ATi Redeon HD 5670 128-Bit 512MB.
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about htpc light gaming video encoding upgrade
  1. Best answer
    5670 would be the perfect choice for you in that price range.
  2. Best answer selected by Dygear.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Video Encoding Graphics Product