Will this work with my PC?

greathelp

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Alright so not too long ago I bought the AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphics card and It is much better when I play games but I feel like I am getting bottle-necked because of my 3GB of RAM. I want to upgrade and I want to know if what I plan on buying will work.

I have:
PC: Pavilion a6414f
CPU: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0GHz)
Memory: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Currently Installed Memory: 3GB :??:
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 0

These are my slots of RAM at the moment:
1GB
DDR PC2-6400
1GB
DDR PC2-6400

512MB
DDR PC2-6400
512MB
DDR PC2-6400

Can I switch the two 512MB to these ---> http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=ACD8428BA5CA7304

And if that is a yes then is this the same product on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-Memory-DDR3-4GB-kit-2GBx2-/280794802315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160aca88b#ht_500wt_1202

Im sure 6GB is good enough for games.
Thanks for your help!!! :) :)

The aobve poster is kinda wrong. 32 bit windows can directly use up to aobut 3.25GB and you can use a RAM drive program to use the rest of what you have as a paging file, basically the computer can then use it as RAM even if it is using a 32 bit operating system.

There are many such free RAM disk/drive programs and I use one called IMDisk virtual driver myself for a variety of reasons. One, it's compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit windows, two being it can do much more than just create RAM drives.

Using RAM drive software allows your computer to have more than 3.25GB of memory but it does not make the machine 64 bit compatible. It also does not allow individual programs to use more memory then the 32 bit limits because each program is still a 32 bit program.

However, it is widely considered better to have a natively 64 bit operating system instead of a 32 bit OS with RAM drive software because using the extra RAM as RAM indirectly through a paging file is a little less efficient and programs still have the 32 bit limitations.

What that solution does best is allow multiple programs to be run totaling greater memory requirements than the 32 bit limitations normally allow.

That means you will either need to upgrade to x64 windows or use the RAM disk method to make use of more than 4GB of memory. There is a way to get 32 bit machines to use up to 4GB without switching to x64 operating systems.

greathelp

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Thanks blazorthon,
So its possible but complicated.
Nothing I can do to increase FPS in games?

greathelp

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

So I am able to upgrade to 4GB without any troubles?

[fixed]32 bit windows can directly use up to aobut 3.25GB and you can use a RAM drive program to use the rest of what you have as a paging file, basically the computer can then use it as RAM even if it is using a 32 bit operating system.[/fixed]
Well, I am using Ramdisc daily, and advantage of that is next to zero for the page file. Not to mention when u will shut down/start up or when set to sleep/wake up the PC, those extended times will make him appreciate the extra $$$ on more RAM. Yes, on some mobos u can use 3.25 of the RAM, but not all will do it for u.

[fixed]There are many such free RAM disk/drive programs and I use one called IMDisk virtual driver myself for a variety of reasons. One, it's compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit windows, two being it can do much more than just create RAM drives.

Using RAM drive software allows your computer to have more than 3.25GB of memory but it does not make the machine 64 bit compatible. It also does not allow individual programs to use more memory then the 32 bit limits because each program is still a 32 bit program.

However, it is widely considered better to have a natively 64 bit operating system instead of a 32 bit OS with RAM drive software because using the extra RAM as RAM indirectly through a paging file is a little less efficient and programs still have the 32 bit limitations.[/fixed]
I love RAMdisk, but I also think that the OP had in mind to use that extra RAM for gain in the games and in the daily routine as he states "Im sure 6GB is good enough for games".

[fixed]What that solution does best is allow multiple programs to be run totaling greater memory requirements than the 32 bit limitations normally allow.[/fixed]

I have not tested it myself but I have a program that claims to do this, its a free program that lets me make significant changes to a lot of hidden or difficult to access features in Windows.

Increasing your RAM capacity will increase your FPS if you are running out of RAM, a likely problem with less than 4GB of RAM and still possible with 4GB or RAM.

If you aren't running games that are limited with small amounts of RAM (slightly older games come to mind) then increasing your RAM will probably not change your FPS.

The 4GB workaround and the RAM drive workaround are what I will recommend trying if you do not want to upgrade your OS.

Well, one thing u can do, to try to patch kernel, to use more.

How To Enable More Than 4GB Memory in Windows Vista and Windows 7
http://www.pallab.net/2009/12/30/enable-more-than-4gb-memory-in-windows-vista-7/

This article is written for 32 bit operating systems. Unless explicitly mentioned, Windows 7 and Vista refers to the 32 bit edition of the respective Operating Systems.

I can see there being little advantage to using a RAM disk if you have an SSD but if you have a hard drive then yes there should be an advantage if you disable the paging file on your hard drive as well, leaving paging to only be done on the RAM drive. If it is still enabled on the hard drive then there may be problems. Microsoft claims using even USB flash drives was caching/paging will improve performance of the paging file(s) so I don't see how the RAM drive does not produce an even better performance increase.

Since that link to the article about enabling more RAM in 32 bit windows was posted I suggest greathelp definitely read it and see if it will help, it's at least worth a try.

I tried it without SSD a year or two ago, and it was nothing to notice.

Maybe some benchmark would give more positive rating, but WEI didn't and I don't care for the benchmarks anyway, especialy the WEI : )

Also realize that performance is not the biggest part of getting more RAM, getting more RAM rarely improves performance much unless you are running out of RAM capacity in which case the RAM drive solution will still work too.

Even benchmarks don't take much advantage from higher RAM capacities and sometimes the ratings actually go down slightly with more RAM of the same brand lineup as the previous kit.

greathelp

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

When I bought the PC, it came with Vista Home something then later I upgraded to Windows 7. If that answers your question?

So, when it comes with PC, its OEM windows. But the upgrade could be a Retail.

If its a RETAIL version, it comes with x32bit version + the x64bit version. So, take a look where is the disc, because u might have the Retail and there for x64 bit version available to u!!!

What is the difference between the OEM, and the Retail version of Windows Vista?

There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows Vista come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows Vista DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows Vista on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows Vista cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows Vista, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242612-44-retail
Credits to The_Prophecy