Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 460: MSI or ASUS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2010 8:24:40 AM

Hello all, I need some help. I've been looking to invest into a GTX 460 in the near future. I am also considering SLI, however, the biggest issue I am stuck on is which brand? Now performance and cooling is a must as always. The cards I've been looking at are:

-MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

-MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

-MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

-ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)

I love the MSI's because of the cooling, but I have heard a lot of good things about the ASUS.

More about : gtx 460 msi asus

November 27, 2010 8:44:24 AM

Get the ASUS one :) 
Score
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2010 10:01:26 AM

I would say go with price and bundle. The MSI Hawx cards wont be beaten if you fancy OCing, i have read a few reviews that say the ASUS card dosent have much in the way of OC ability compared to other cards.

Mactronix :) 
Score
Related resources
a c 388 Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 27, 2010 2:52:32 PM

The Talon Attack is a very special card, custom designed to get the highest possible overclocks.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2010 3:00:47 PM

Which ever card that you get be sure to pick up some ramsinks to make up fir the lack of a heatsink for the power vrm.
Score
November 27, 2010 3:31:21 PM

mactronix said:
I would say go with price and bundle. The MSI Hawx cards wont be beaten if you fancy OCing, i have read a few reviews that say the ASUS card dosent have much in the way of OC ability compared to other cards.

I'm not big on OCing. I would like to learn about it someday, but for now, I do wish to stick with just stock. Would I have good performance with the Hawx without OCing it?

Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2010 6:12:00 PM

Well yes its not a bad card without you personally overclocking its still clocked higher than a reference card and will be nice and quiet with the twin Frozzer cooler.
What you need to consider is the price, unless your not that bothered budget wise ?
Basically as we have established the Hawk cards are all dressed up with Overclocking very much in mind, you don't have to but its fully supported right through all the hardware on the card, its what its made to do.
Now if its not going to cost an arm and a leg more for the Hawk card then i wouldn't hesitate to get one. But if it is noticably more expensive than a differant make that is clocked just the same then as you are not interested in overclocking save some money and get the cheaper card.

a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2010 6:43:02 PM

If you aren't going to OC on your own then skip the Cyclone and go for one of the other 3 as they all have a high factory OC and very nice cooling.
Score
November 28, 2010 12:40:51 AM

The Hawk Talon it is then! My budget is between $180-$200, but if the extra $30 bucks is worth, then I'm fine with that! Thanks guys!

~destroysall
Score
December 8, 2010 2:50:46 AM

Best answer selected by Destroysall.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 8, 2010 6:28:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!