Will my system run on a 300 watts PSU ( with ati radeon 4670 or 4650)

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
HELLO EVERYONE !!! I KNOW I'VE BEEN ASKING D SAME QUESTION 4 QUITE A LONG TIME BUT I WANT TO KNOW IF MY PC CAN RUN ON A 300 WATTS PSU?
my pc specs :
Core i5 760 @ 2.8ghz
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB hard disk
nvidia geforce 310 ( thats wat i wanna change to 4670 or a 4650 )
21.5" monitor
16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write Capability
for all the details click :
http://www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/home/inspndt/inspiron-580/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-580&s=dhs&cs=indhs1&~oid=in~en~78002~inspn_580_s241235in8~~

i wanted to ask how much power will my whole system need to be able to run with a ATI 4670 OR AN ATI 4650. I am buying da graphics card to play games like GTA IV and Mafia II. AND PLEASE DONT SUGGEST ME ANY OTHER GRAPHICS CARD. will da 4650 be safer and if i'll be able to overclock it ???
I HAVE A 300 WATT PSU !!! thanx !!! to those who help me

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
No, not at all.
That System consumes to much power for a 300 Watt to handle it. It is most likely an OEM too(Geforce 310) I'm not suggesting another graphics card for you but playing Mafia II and GTA IV is gonna lag but at the lowest settings. GTA IV is badly optimized and Mafia II is TWIMTBP.Both of those cards are poor in performance.

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

u know there is even monitor and that also requires power ...

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
You power supply doesn't power your monitor. Just plug the monitor into the power strip/surge protector/outlet.

To answer your question you are cutting close with that setup and only 300 watt power supply. Will it work, yes. Will you have random crashes and maybe damage your mobo or something else??? Most likely. Upgrade to at least a good name brand 450 watt ps.

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

well probably after 3 or 4 months i'm gonna upgrde to a 460 or 500 watts cooler master PSU . well the 460 watts should be enough ... rite ???? but after 3 or 4 months

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
A good 460 watt ps will be enough for what planning on building. If you ever plan to add a second video card then you will need at least 600 watts.

You will know if your 300 watt ps isn't keeping up if you keep crashing during intensive times like while gaming. If you really wanna know what your system is going to draw at max output buy a killawatt meter. It will show the wattage that is being drawn from the outlet. Then monitor it while running Furmark and P95 at the same time. Multiply the meter reading by 80% abd that will give you the actually power your pc is consuming. Of course running Furmark and P95 at the same time will draw more power than your computer will ever draw under normal use but that will tell you the worst case scenario.

No it will not work...i just punched the numbers into a PSU calculator and with a 4670 your system will be running at about 349 Watts.

1)Get a new Power Supply

or

2)Select a more lower powered Graphics Card

Dunno if the numbers are right but it's sayin that right now without the upgrade your running at 284Watts,assuming the Geforce 310 is intergrated?

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

its not integrated

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

i wrote " PLEASE DONT SUGGEST ME ANY OTHER CARD " SO PLEASE DONT CUZ thats the max i can get in the budget . i m a kid of 14 so i cant add more !!!

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

many people run the 4650 on 300 watts PSU and the guy who posted the pics also said that the 4670 will run on a 300 watts PSU

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
shud i get the 4650 to be safe cuz i know it will give me more than 25fps in gta iv or will the 4670 run on that??
on antec.outervision.com i put these settings
System Type: Single
Motherboard: Regular desktop
CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2800Mhz ( not overclocked)
CPU Utilization (TDP) (TDP 2): 90 %
RAM: 2 sticks ddr3
Video Card: ati radeon 4670
Video Type:Single card
Hard Drives: IDE 7200 rpm: 1 drive
SSD Drives (Solid State Disk): none ( cuz i dont know wat that is)
Drives:
CD-RW Drive:1

DVD/CDRW Combo Drive: 1
and i get the minimum recommended PSU wattage : 257 watts

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

I didn't say the 300 watt PSU won't handle it, I said the 460W PSU is enough, that's all.

I would reccomend saving up for a 5770 and a new psu,should be less than $150.You won't be playing those games with good graphics espisally on your resolution of your monitor.It is never a good idea to run all your equipment near the max of your PSU.If you can wait go for a 5770 or higher with a new psu bundle,really not worth it to waste money on a 4670/4650 when you have an i5.
~Just my reccomendation.

True -- Many people do it and even more people come on the forum asking why there system randomly reboots or shuts down when gaming !! --- THe PSU is one of if not the most important parts of your system when it comes to stability under stress so is not a part to barely get by on and spending a bit more to ensure you have enough good stable power to run your system is money well spent !! (besides the fact that if you do wind up blowing out the PSU by making it draw more power than it was designed to handle can take the other components in your system with it when it fails costing you much more money in the long run when you have to replace those parts along with getting a new PSU) -- Of course the final decision is yours and you'll only learn from experience.

apo1397

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010

are u sure??? cuz others are saying it might/ might not work ??? do u hav any site to show that it will work but later i'll surely buy a new PSU

YOu als need to take into consideration that there will be times when the parts of the system use more power than other times so using a PSU that barely supplies enough to run will at times exceed that usage and cause instability which can lead to shutdowns - which over a period of time may destroy your components or lose data on your HDD -- this is from an article on HDD power consumption :

for example, the plain Barracuda 7200.8 may draw up to 2.5A from the +12 V line at start-up. Add 3 W drawn from +5 V to get the peak start-up power consumption of 33 W! What if there are two or three such drives in a system? In this case you should play safe and take a PSU at least by 100-150 W more powerful than processor+video+motherboard require. Food for thought.

And figure your SYSTEM has a CPU that uses 95W - 4 gb. of RAM will use around 10W - the MOBO will use antwhere from 10W to 50W depending on the chipset and components

SO your system is probably going to reach around 200+ Watts at times without the video card so is within range of a 300W PSU using the IGP and is why they used a 300W for the initial system -- Also you have to figure the efficiency of the PSU (most OEM psus are in the 70-80% efficiency so if it is pulling in 300W only 75-80% of that is actually converted to useable power (yeilding 225 - 240W of useable power) -- so adding another 60W useage by adding a new GPU to that system is going to put you right at if not a bit over the threshild for safety and it may work or it may be unstable during periods of peak usage (ie. startup - gaming) which can result in system freezes - loss of information due to corruption etc. but as I have said before the final decision on whether it is worth the risk is yours alone and only you can decide whether to take the chance !

what happened JDFan.? edit that first post did you.?

not fine and their not risking anything.
i mentioned that becuase in my configuration i have a 375-watt psu listed in the system i was referring too.
so it's a matter of honesty than telling someone to risk their unit..
thank-you.
considering you don't even know me... :non:
and with exclamation marks too.... :fou:
having a bad day are we....? :kaola:

Not sure what happened to the Post it somehow disappeared (not sure how that can happen after it was posted) but anyway -- it was just saying that if you were not even comfortable enough to keep the 300W unit instead of upgrading to a 375W unit for a similar system that is a third or fourth system - then why suggest to someone else that is using the system as a primary system and may have essential data on it to do that ? Even though DELL uses decent PSUs asking it to run at near capacity for daily use over an extended period of time is asking for problems and will eventually lead to an unstable system (PSUs degrade over time and running a PSU at near capacity shortens the length of time it will take to degrade ) So it is not good advice to tell someone that they'll be fine doing something like that without also including the fact that it will eventually lead to problems that may result in damage to other system components or loss of data !