Please help with wedding photo restoration

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 30, 2005 3:55:27 AM

A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
tie. The woman's dress is off-white.

What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
*as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
would love to have a corrected color image.

Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you.

jakesnake
January 30, 2005 3:55:28 AM

In PS try the eyedropper in the curves tool if there is a white or grey
object it might be just that simple to correct the colors. Otherwise
tinker around with the separate RGB channel curves or try the eyedropper
first to get close then tinker.

Jake wrote:

> A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
> portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
> sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
> entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
> taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
> is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
> tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
>
> What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
> factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
> would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
> *as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
> into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
> would love to have a corrected color image.
>
> Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>

> jakesnake

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:44:45 AM

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
> portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
> sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years
the
> entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital
pic
> taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
> is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue
striped
> tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
>
> What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
> factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
> would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
> *as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
> into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but
they
> would love to have a corrected color image.
>
> Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>

> jakesnake

What you want is called "Digital ROC" from Kodak's affiliate Applied Science
fiction.
http://www.asf.com/ You might be surprised how good it actually is.
Doug
January 30, 2005 5:18:40 AM

Jake <jake@yahoo.com> wrote:
>A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
>portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
>sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
>entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
>taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
>is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
>tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
>
>What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
>factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
>would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
>*as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
>into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
>would love to have a corrected color image.

There are three dyes used in color photos - I think they're cyan, magenta
and yellow and not RBY. It's fairly common for the cyan to be the least
stable. I'd scan the photo, convert to CMY, and then crank up the cyan
channel to see if that helps any. Try the same with the yellow channel.
If there's enough left of the C&Y dyes then you should be able to fake
something that looks passable.

Best option would be to find the original photographer and see if the
negatives still exist.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

Aged color prints frequently suffer from both a reduction in saturation
and a shift in color. You need to work with both these problems to
correct things. Go to correction by hue, saturation, and brightness,
and work on hue first, saturation second. You may not need to worry
about brightness, or you may need to slightly darken it.

Jake wrote:

> A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
> portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
> sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
> entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
> taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
> is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
> tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
>
> What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
> factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
> would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
> *as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
> into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
> would love to have a corrected color image.
>
> Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>

> jakesnake

January 30, 2005 4:35:30 PM

Jake wrote:
> A relative of mine asked for my help restoring a wedding photo - an 11x14
> portrait from the '70s, with the subjects photographed from the waist up,
> sitting, a bouquet of flowers positioned on their laps. Over the years the
> entire photo has turned magenta - very similar to the look of a digital pic
> taken on sepia - so the original color information has been lost. The man
> is wearing what I'm told was a gray pinstripe suit and a light blue striped
> tie. The woman's dress is off-white.
>
> What are my options for improving the look of this photo? Time is not a
> factor; the picture is not needed for anything in particular. They just
> would like for it to be preserved digitally and restored back to original
> *as much as possible*. The first thing I did was pull a scan of the photo
> into PS 7.0 and discard the color info. It makes quite a nice B&W, but they
> would love to have a corrected color image.
>
> Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>

> jakesnake

Paint Shop Pro has a function to correct fading in photos. It does a remarkable good job, as long as there is still some
color in the photo. You can try it outr free. Download the fuull-function demo from www.jasc.com.

The other alternative is to paint the photo by hand. I have an old family photo, ca. 1933, that was hand-painted at the
time, apparently with watercolors. It had faded, but PSP brought the colors back nicely. I recdntly noticed that our photo
of a daughter's wedding 20 years ago had faded noticably. I scanned, restored the colors with PSP's automatic function, and
have a like-new print now. The new print might even stand up better than the photographic print.
!