Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 23, 2011 3:36:15 PM

Currently I have 1.90 gigahertz AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core BE-
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

I generally play on two screens, CVT LCD TV [Monitor][TV]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor]

I play games like fallout 3, New Vegas, World of Warcraft, GTA4, and am looking forward to playing games such as Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, and SWTOR...

Basically what I'm trying to get at is what AMD processor should I buy to get the best performance and graphical quality.

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) [Display adapter]

Thanks!

More about : amd cpu gaming

a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 3:40:57 PM

Maybe you could save money on a new build?
I really think you shouldnt be wasting money on a new cpu.Sorry but your rig doesnt cut it..
April 23, 2011 3:45:28 PM

Well I respect your opinion, but I am also looking at gaming laptops such as the Alienware M11x, the cheaper 600-700$ builds.. do you think I could get good performance out of that?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 3:50:56 PM

tmt69 said:
Well I respect your opinion, but I am also looking at gaming laptops such as the Alienware M11x, the cheaper 600-700$ builds.. do you think I could get good performance out of that?

Not really but if you want to go for cheap mobile gaming please go for Clevo.Its better than Alienware and has better after sales service.

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 3:52:06 PM

But if you just want to play games at home all day.I strongly suggest a desktop.Because my brothers clevo i7 cannot even surpass my athlon II X4
April 23, 2011 3:52:33 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Not really but if you want to go for cheap mobile gaming please go for Clevo.Its better than Alienware and has better after sales service.

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp

Ok cool, i'll take a look at that
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 3:54:17 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
But if you just want to play games at home all day.I strongly suggest a desktop.Because my brothers clevo i7 cannot even surpass my athlon II X4

tmt69 said:
Ok cool, i'll take a look at that

As i said before.I strongly suggest a desktop if you are planning to keep your game playing indoors.
April 23, 2011 3:54:59 PM

This stuff looks pretty powerful, could you possibly direct me to a certain model in a good price range?
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 3:57:52 PM

tmt69 said:
This stuff looks pretty powerful, could you possibly direct me to a certain model in a good price range?

Sorry i dont really play games.You can find some good recommendations on the net.
April 23, 2011 4:01:16 PM

I already have a desktop computer, which I'm using now. And it can do some impressive things right now, why do you say it's not worth it to upgrade the processor? Seems that the low 1.9ghz speed is what has been slowing me down so much.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 4:03:21 PM

I have both i7 2600k, two i7 950 and incoming is a gtx 580 sli that will allow me to do 2d surround.
I wont argue if you want to play great games on a laptop but first you could try to play games on a desktop with an overclocked i7 2600k to have a feel before buying your laptop.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 4:11:12 PM

I forgot to ask you of your mobo..Could you post it for us?
April 23, 2011 4:12:13 PM

I've done some research on that and heres what I've come up with

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=N68PV-GS

Thats my motherboard, and the support list

but this is something that bothers me, and I don't fully understand

*If you use AM3 / AM2+ CPU on AM2 chipset motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s), but the CPU frequency will not be influenced.
April 23, 2011 4:18:03 PM

Would it be worth upgrading if the hypertransport was downgraded?
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 4:19:46 PM

It doesnt effect performance from what i heard but i am unfamiliar with the HT technology.
Hope other mates could help yoou out.
April 23, 2011 4:22:43 PM

I think I'd rather just stick with my current motherboard, and take the cons of using a am2 socket with am3 technology...

Now, if I was to do this, which Am3 processor specifically would you prefer?
April 23, 2011 4:23:25 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
It doesnt effect performance from what i heard but i am unfamiliar with the HT technology.
Hope other mates could help yoou out.

Thanks for your help!
April 23, 2011 4:29:37 PM

Yeah, I'm in the US and it looks like a great price,

If I played a game such as Fallout, right now I could put effects on medium quality, and it will run OK, if I was to get this processor, I would be close to doubling the processing speed and doubling the cores, what do you think I could crank it up to?
April 23, 2011 4:36:02 PM

If you are referring to my graphics card, (sorry not all u2date with these acronyms)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) [Display adapter]
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 4:38:19 PM

Your mobo has a first generation pcie X16.You wont take a performance hit if you upgrade to a better gpu
April 23, 2011 4:42:44 PM

Quote:
with a phenom 945 reckon you could gain around 12-17fps~ more.

Ok sorry for so many questions, but

Do you think that is worth the price?
April 23, 2011 4:44:09 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Your mobo has a first generation pcie X16.You wont take a performance hit if you upgrade to a better gpu

What does that mean?
April 23, 2011 4:49:27 PM

Quote:
well apart from while gaming you will also gain a lot of overall performance, if it was up to me i would upgrade and sell the older CPU on ebay you would get about $45 out of it: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMD-Athlon-BE-2300-x2-Dual-core-H...

Wow thats a good idea, selling the old one, didn't think about that.. so when I take it out what steps should I take to keep it safe?
April 23, 2011 4:58:16 PM

Quote:
and since yours is a BE (black Edition) it will probably fetch a bit more (around $52).

box it in the original box if you have it, or just put it along with the heatsink in a box with the CPU pin pushed into some Styrofoam in a anti-static bag (anti-static bag is optional), with some shredded paper and cardboard?

yeah I don't have the box, but what you said sounds good like the right course of action, hey thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it... just need to sell a few more things on Ebay and I'll have the money I need to buy this processor!
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2011 5:00:09 PM

tmt69 said:
What does that mean?

Actually most mobos now support the pci express second generation however since the pcie X16 first generation has never been fully used it still can hold itself on against some of the best gpus we have today.
!