Need some information clarified and suggestion

Tags:
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 23, 2011 6:31:13 PM

Hello all!

I need some help finding the right combination of mobo and cpu.

First things first. I currently have a i7-920 slightly oced at 3.8 with an asus P6SE. It's the mobo that does not have sli support (stupid I know, too late). GPU wise a single gtx570.

I am thinking of upgrading. I haven't paid attention at the cpu market for a while which means I need some advice.

Games I play (1920x1200 res) are basically the newest ones so performance is important.

My plan is to buy a new mobo (which chipset?) that will either fit my i7-920 3.8 if performance is good enough, or the i7 2600 unocked. This is to gain the sli functionality (for a 2nd 570 in October), sata3 and a better sound card from the realtek noise I currently have.

Is my current i7-920 adding any lag in the games I play? Is it, in other words, bottlenecking my GPU in my attempt to hit 60fps at all times?

If yes, would the step up from my current CPU to i7-2600 eliminate any current and potential future bottleneck caused by my CPU? If yes again, would the i7 2600 and the i7-920 use the same chipset? I know that x-58 is working with the "older" i7s but what mobo is the i7 2600 based on?

Now to the final questions:

If the i7-920 is still putting up a good fight, which x-58 mobo(s) would have the best value for money including a built-in sound card and maybe some other cool addo-ons? Any specific suggestions?

If i need to go i7-2600 which mobo(s) are the best value for money with up to 3-sli support and built-in sound card?

Any there is other info i have forgotten about please let me know..

Many thanks guys! :) 

More about : information clarified suggestion

a c 120 à CPUs
April 23, 2011 6:39:15 PM

I wouldn't bother replacing a X58 platform just yet.
Do that when the 2011 comes out after a bit.
The i7 2600 is a SB 1155 based cpu so it's not compatible with yours 1366.
If the onboard sound isn't cutting the mustard just buy a soundcard.
I agree onboard sound sucks.
You don't have to spend alot an Asus DG will crush onboard audio.
April 24, 2011 8:34:47 AM

Thanks for the info. Is the i7 2600 based on the same chipset but a different socket?

Also regarding the gain in CPU power? Do you believe the current pc is bottlenecked (in frames per second) by the cpu?
If no, would you have any information supporting it? If yes, would the i72600 remove the bottleneck?

Regarding the xonar audio pci card, I have heard from friends that the gain on a speaker world is not noticeable but on headphones it is very very different.. Any other pci sound cards that are better all round-even maybe more expensive (up to 90gbp?)

Thanks guys!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2011 9:03:44 AM

an Asus DX is solid choice
so is Essence
I went with a DG because 1) I am cheap 2) primarily needed more line in /mics for recording and USB tv tuner 3) nice step up in analog sound quality
I would figure your GPU has a HDMI out which also a decent digital option with a
HDMI receiver but not cost effective if you dont already have receiver

If you want a step up from onboard but are not audiophile then the DG is nice
especially if you are mainly headphone user
the difference with my Creative surround system with DG is noticeable to me
also helps that Asus gives a great sound control software with unit
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2011 10:09:13 AM

YOur PC is not being bottleknecked by your Current CPU, the i7 920 is still a good cpu and with an OC of 3.8ghz has more than enough power for any game at 1920 x 1200 res, however your GTX570 may struggle with some harder titles such as Metro and Crysis at max settings on that res, upgrading to a GTX580 will solve your FPS issues, would be the cheapest option for you as you can sell your 570 and put the money towards your 580, instead of having to buy a new SLI 1366 mobo plus another gtx 570, i would recommend the ASUS Direct CU II, i have one its, near silent under load never exceeds 48 C under load, and can play all games at 2560 x 1440 on max settings flawlessly.
a c 120 à CPUs
April 24, 2011 12:12:34 PM

laylow said:
Thanks for the info. Is the i7 2600 based on the same chipset but a different socket?

Also regarding the gain in CPU power? Do you believe the current pc is bottlenecked (in frames per second) by the cpu?
If no, would you have any information supporting it? If yes, would the i72600 remove the bottleneck?

Regarding the xonar audio pci card, I have heard from friends that the gain on a speaker world is not noticeable but on headphones it is very very different.. Any other pci sound cards that are better all round-even maybe more expensive (up to 90gbp?)

Thanks guys!

Yep! the new Intel 2xxx series are 2nd gen based on the 1155 socket.
No you would not have bottlenecks with your cpu Intel is still making cpu's for your platform.
I use Auzentech soundcards i have two and they have WIN7 drivers.
Aside from recommending the Asus DG which is an excellent cost effective upgrade,the Auzentech Bravura is very good.
It features full size headphone plug-in(dedicated amp),pciex1,and is Win7 certified.
AUZENTECH X-Fi Bravura 7.1 Sound Card - £99.06 Inc. VAT
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4074.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzen-bravura-review/
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_bravura.php
April 24, 2011 5:18:58 PM

Thank you guys. I will look up the sound cards once I get some more time. Thank you for confirming my CPU is still kicking. I can obviously manage without paying for a new mobo and CPU.

The plan is now:

Getting a sound card (proly one of those suggested in this thread) in the coming weeks.
Wait at least until end September before I get a new mobo that will be sli capable.
At the same time I will buy a gtx570 to set up an SLI and depending on the mobo, a new cpu.

Does anyone know when the new intel cpus will hit the market? Is it expected to be groundbreaking?

Many thanks!
a c 120 à CPUs
April 24, 2011 7:19:35 PM

The present 1155 is considered mainstream the new 2011 will be enthusiast.
I've read usb 3.0 will be on the mobo,PCIe 40 lanes (v3.0) ,6 and 8 core cpu.and quad channel ram.
!