Dell Dimension E510 no Molex 4-pin?

peteraczel

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello, I have a Dell Dimension E510. I just got a new ultrahigh-fidelity PCI-Express sound card that needs to be powered separately via a 4-pin Molex connector. I saw nothing under the cover that would enable me to do that. I there some kind of adapter/extension?

Solution
None of the SATA ports on the MB will supply you power; it can only be got from the PSU.
I'm stuck, sorry. I thought there was an extra SATA power connector there somewhere.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
True, your PSU does not have an extra molex, however, I believe you have an extra SATA power connector.
If so, there is an adapter to link from that power source to a molex via this adapter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270312&cm_re=molex_sata_adapter-_-12-270-312-_-Product
BYTECC SATA-2LP4F SATA Power Input 15pin to MOLEX 4pin + Floppy Power Adapter Cable
12-270-312-TS

peteraczel

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

There are two 7-pin SATA connectors on the E510 motherboard; there is no 15-pin power connector. I don't know much about SATA---would one of those 7-pin connectors provide power to my audio card? There is also a 5-pin female connector dangling free from the power supply; the holes are in two tiers, 2 and 3. I suspect it's some kind of fan connector, but I could be wrong. Does that offer a possibility?

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

peteraczel

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

It's an Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-Express audio card, but that's basically irrelevant to my problem. I need to find a power connection, regardless of the card model. Just FYI, the separate connection to the power supply is required to bypass the noisy ground, since the card has an extremely high signal-to-noise ratio when there is no interference.

peteraczel

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

You are right. The sound card isn't compatible with my PC. I have returned it to amazon.com for a refund. Thanks for your help.