Second fan on 5870 not rotating even with Corsair 1000W Supply??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehdrizzle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I am at a loss and have no idea why I would be having this issue at this point. I have 2 Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X graphics cards and a Kingwin 1050w power supply that I purchased from Newegg. I installed everything without a hitch and the fan on the second card will not spin when they are both hooked up to the 6-pin PCI adaptors. If I switch the cards around, the same thing will happen and the fan on the second card will still not spin. I already sent 1 card back via RMA to make sure it wasn't the card. I just don't understand why the fan on the primary card will spin but not the second, and if I take the primary card and switch it with the secondary card the fan on that card will not spin either. I even went out to Best Buy and picked up a Corsair 1000w power supply to see if it was the supply and got the same results with that power supply, the fan on the second card will not spin. I had no idea that 5870s in crossfire need over 1000W. Below is my system setup.

Asus M3A32MVP-Deluxe Mobo
AMD 955 @ 3.4Ghz
8GB G-Skill DDR2 @ 800Mhz
Zalman 9900 CPU cooler
4 WD 500GB 64MB Cache Enterprise hard drives
Asus DVD-RW
Asus DVD-Rom

Any ideas on why this would be happening is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Paul

tehdrizzle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Hi bystander,

The thing that is really odd is that I just upgraded from 2 4850s in crossfire that ran with no issues and both fans spun fine on both of those cards.

When I boot the PC only one card's fan spins but the card will get hot so I know that the card is not in sleep mode. Even if I switch the card to slot 3 the fan will still not spin. I can get to the desktop and see that they are both registered and active. No matter what I do in CCC with the fan speed for the second card nothing happens. I've even left the card out of the slot while it was still hooked to the 2 6-pin power connectors and the fan wouldn't spin, yet again switching the cards would yield the same results for the primary card in the second card's position. The fan won't spin on the second card if it is in slot 2, 3, or out of the PCI-E slot, but the same issue happens with the primary card if I switch it with the second card.

tehdrizzle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

I tried a Kingwin 1000w power supply, and then the Corsair HX1000 which both resulted in the same issue.

tehdrizzle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

I actually just recently updated the bios to 2104 which is the most recent and was made in preparation for my upgrade to the AMD 1090T. I appreciate your help in trying to figure this out!

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

If this fails, I'd contact Sapphire. It's possible that they may have seen this if it is not an issue unique to your system or hardware.

Not getting the fan to spin on the card in the second slot makes me think it's a power issue. So I can see why you'd try a different power supply. Switching the cards around proves that both cards actually work.

I too would wonder if there's a problem with the second PCI-E slot on your motherboard. The fact that your old video cards both work, of course makes you think the slot is fine.

[strike]Have you tried opening MSI Afterburner or something similar to see if you can manually adjust the "fan speed" setting on the second card?[/strike] I wonder if it's possible there's some glitch causing the fan speed to zero out due to a low idle temp? Wouldn't make sense to do so on purpose of course.

I see that you already tried using CCC to alter fan speeds. Sounds like it is time to contact Sapphire or your motherboard maker for help. Something obviously is buggy.

tehdrizzle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Yes indeed. Finally go the thing working and with the 750w supply too! Went through and wiped all drivers with Driver Sweeper and then installed the 10.3 drivers and hotfix which seemed to resolve the issue and now the card works great! My scores are up in all benchmarks and I've been spending all day playing all of my games on max settings :) :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.