When is enough enough? More Power Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by saying I understand why somebody would want a 2600k with 4.5 OC and twin HD6970s OCd to the max

To me it is the same as cars
I might only NEED a 4 cyclinder Civic/Sentra etc
BUT would I love to have a Porsche Turbo :)

Now to get to the point as fast as I can
I am right now as I am typing this
1) running ten instances of Sony Vegas Pro 8
2)i have network rendering service open and have about 8 jobs queud to
go to renderer machine
3)3 internet explorers
4) adobe photoshop CS
5) MS outlook
6)WinTV USB tv tuner showing cable TV
7)icon dock
8)msi afterburner
9) coretemp
10) Mooo system monitor
11) DvdFlick encoding/burning a 1.5gb 1080p file

Now nothing is lagging
I am doing light duty work on PhotoShop (resizing and adding text)
I am doing some editing on Vegas Pro (transitions,text,effects)
while browsing and watching Animal Planet :)

System specs are

Dell Optiplex 745
Core2Duo E4500 @2.93ghz 1066 FSB
4gb Gskill DDR2-800 5-5-5-15
250gb 7200rpm Barracuda
Sapphire HD 4650 1gb
Asus Xonar DG

Now that is an awesome system BACK IN 2006-2007

A 2600k or any of the I7 series would ANNIHILATE that
system

I am just a simple hardware tech just making a live
Heck I learned alot of what I know from Googling and Youtube LOL

So my question is (finally!)

other than hardcore gamers who need to have maxed out res and settings
on latest games (totally cool - I understand - the eyecandy is awesome)

and also people who develop video rendering/3d modeling/encoding
for a living and time is mission critical

really isnt todays CPU tech way beyond about 80-90 percent of computer users

I just see on Toms many times when "computer enthusiasts"
act very snobby and condescending to people that only have a Pentium 4/Pent D/C2d/Athlon 64 x 2 etc

really if you have even a decent Pentium D with 2-4gb ram and a reasonable
video card (8600gt or HD2600 or higher)
then you can pretty much do 95% of applications rather well

Can we stop the "Computer Elitist Snobbery" on Toms
Dont tell me it doesnt exist
I have been a steady regular for almost a year
I see it constantly

When is enough is enough?

Solution
For, my AMD Fusion e-350 is enough. It can handle all of my Photoshop and Illustrator work, light gaming and 1080p video. I totally agree with you mate, the need to upgrade is simply something made by hardware companies. In truth, semi-decent CPU is enough for almost everyone.

At the end of the day, what matters more than having a great computer, is knowing how to use it.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
For, my AMD Fusion e-350 is enough. It can handle all of my Photoshop and Illustrator work, light gaming and 1080p video. I totally agree with you mate, the need to upgrade is simply something made by hardware companies. In truth, semi-decent CPU is enough for almost everyone.

At the end of the day, what matters more than having a great computer, is knowing how to use it.

Solution

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Hey King.
in the last 5 years i have never used 4percent of my cpu power(actually POST does use around 10percent) but to me we still need more power.1000times much more.

Scientist do massive calculations on their jobs, astronomist do space time travel calculations.I think we still need to push more.

Hmm, personally I think it's the hard-core gamers driving the top end. Although really a 2600K system isn't very expensive - you can get excellent performance spending around $1K, and all-out around $2K. Compare that to my 4-yr-old Q6700 system with a 8600 GTX video card, a couple of Raptors in RAID0, two 320G drives in RAID0 and a 27" Dell monitor, on which I spent over $3K. Unfortunately, it is not powerful enough to handle some games nowadays (or even older games like Neverwinter Nights when you get lots of enemies at the same time).

So, next month when the Z68 boards come out, I'll likely be building a new system and give the old one to my kid :p..

leon2006

Distinguished

So What?.... You don't get to decide what people want's and needs.

As long as they don't offend other people and violate the law..."It's none of your business"

Could we stop it?
Yes.
Is it going to happen?
No.

Wanting the best and biggest is part of human nature. It actually helped us survive in the distant past, and has helped win wars in the not-so-distant past. There will always be a percentage of those who can afford the best stuff that will show it off to those who cannot or will not get it.

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
You made a great analogy in your first post King. How many guys with Porsche's are snobs about it? Answer: Most. Like Shadows said, its human nature to aspire to the biggest and best of anything really. And those that are fortunate enough to possess the biggest and the best usually like to flaunt it....

Awesome replies folks
there is nothing wrong with wanting the best and having it
I would happily own a 2600k system
would I sacrifice my family vacation this year to buy it?
No

my "complaint" is members ridiculing and being rude especially to noobs
with Pentium 4 type systems

people on the web are going to think we are elitists a-holes

"So What?.... You don't get to decide what people want's and needs.

As long as they don't offend other people and violate the law..."It's none of your business"

Well that is exactly MY point!!!

If you have a killer system Great Enjoy it
Dont be a jerk to other people that dont
That is called OFFENDING them

i can see your point, but most of the guys with the new 2500's or 2600's dont have very expensive systems take the guy above he cant surley be a snob if he has a hitachi deskstar in hi system and if he was he could be ripped apart for that alone... ;)

but most of what i see is guys trying to keep up with the jones's, with some telling outright lies about there kit.

its not in a mans nature to want the best unless he can afford it, but add a woman into the equation and things take a different turn.

i know very few men that live beyond there means but i know a lot of women that try to, the men that do, tend to be supporting high maintenance women. who in turn buy there men nice gifts like a new cpu or a full pc.

there is another group that you can equate to tuners. instead of souping up the corsa with a 1.8 twin turbo, 50cc noz pack, they have there 2500k gtx460 sli setups
overclocked to 4.8 and squealing for air at every fan revolution.

the sad thing is they think that its great but they have spent a lot of cash on not a lot of performance gains... i mean who in there rite mind would sell a i7 930 thats 3 months old for half what they payed only to replace it with a 2500k and get 4 fps more... thats not snobbery thats idiocy.

btw i still love leaving the corsa's in my dust when i hit the peddal on my R34 NurII...

(a small lie there, i dont drive but i can do 5:15 round nurburg in gt4 ;) )

oh and i know the women out there are gonna be outraged by what appears to be a very sexist comment... but its not sexist. its true...

I am actually one of the tuners myself :)
doesnt matter what it is I have to squeeze everything I can get out of it
by tweaking and OCing
even if it is a Pentium 4 LOL

I mean if some noob comes on here asking about how to spend the money
on upgrading a socket 478 system then
BE NICE and either help
or explain NICELY that it isnt worth doing
dont insult the person

It has been better lately on Toms
Six months ago or so there were some
really rude posts
and I still do see some once in a while

Alright how does any 16 year old know about being in control of their wants and know their
I am 40 and learning how to do that

Either you are the wisest 16 year old on the Planet
or
your a 60 year old Plumber named Joe having some fun :)

Is that good odds that AMDFangirl is a guy
or
is that bad odds that Fangirl is a guy

I am not the gambling type besides some American Football pools and
scratch off lottery tickets :)

I was always sure that AMDFangirl was a girl but
that comment from her is just NOT something a 16 year old
usually has any grasp on

Unless I am maturity retarded I didnt start to understand that until
I was about 30 or so and still havent fully practiced :)

If you were offended I am sorry

I have nothing against somebody having a great system

I can appreciate the "More Power" way of thinking

I used to own a Rio Red 1997 SVT Cobra 350HP Mustang
Absolutley made no sense but was really fun :)

My point was the snobby members (most members on Toms are cool)
who insult people about their systems

That is OFFENDING people

I like being part of Toms community and dont want people out
there thinking we are all jerks here

It is perfectly ok to want to have "bragging rights"

If I had a 2600k OC 5.0 on water with twin HD 6990s 16gb ram and a huge SSD
you wouldnt be able to shut me up talking about it :)

I dont know
Maybe the theory of their being some "Old Souls" is true

Of course if after all these years on Toms
if AMDFangirl WAS a 60 yr old plumber with 5 kids and a nagging wife
Well that would be one of the best online gags ever

I personally have a very twisted and dark sense of humor

I can laugh at a funeral........

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Now I hear what you're saying but oddly enough.. I have a story I suppose I could tell.

My father has been using home computers since the very first models. My father even has some old Coleco (Adam?), Commodore VIC-20s and 64s laying around. My father only uses his machine(s) for Mass Outlook Email Usage, Office work using MS Office Suites, MSN, Weather Updates and other forms of Social Media.

I kid you not... even a Q6600 on an Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP with 4GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 memory, an x1800XL 256MB Vid card, 2x 500GB WD drives, 2x 1TB Seagate drives and an 80GB Intel X25-M SSD for the OS are not enough.

His PC slows down to a crawl when on the desktop and having his Outlook open. My Father is the CEO for APTN and therefore gets a lot of emails in a given day... but he doesn't do gaming or anything else. The sheer size of his archived outlook folders are enough to max out the I/O capabilities of his system.

So enough will never be enough until every single person's subjective needs are met. But I share your views with regards to some people simply upgrading because the masses are and they don't want to seem "uncool" or not "hip".

As for me... my system is too slow to meet my needs. I often find myself with over 12GB of memory in usage (while editing HD content). I am no professional I just enjoy keeping my movie database clean and practicle by transcoding/editing bluray titles into h264/x264 DXVA mkv container types.

Good post but everybody is missing my point
it is not a matter of what computer you have
there is nothing wrong with a high powered system

It is the "Computer Elitist Snobs" who look down and insult people especially
the noobs about their computer performance or hardware

Enough is enough is referring to members insulting other members
about their computers

Status
Not open for further replies.