Fan + Super Glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

levesque

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
hello,

I was just wondering if I could use super glue to repair a broken fan on my card instead of getting a new one. The cover over the bearing split and is now minus three blades. I didn't notice much heat on the fan, but just wanted to make sure.

Solution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLgG9EKkMFI

The video is essentialy about thermal paste, but serves the purpose on how to open the case. It doesn't really matter the brand of the card, every card has to be opened like that so...

Your card is an ATI hd 4670, manufactured by ASUS, thats why it says ASUS. I didn't mean to confuse you.

So yeah, take the cover off and detach the wire, but from that, I have no idea on what it needs to be done to take the fan out, do a bit of research in google, cos I can't find anything in youtube about that matter.

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I never heard of that kind of repairs, but I assure you, super glue always fails ¬¬.

And those fans take up to 3000rpm so I don't think is such a good idea.

But if your temps are fine, there is no need for a fix _D.

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Indeed, as it is not supposed to do that. You can try and fix it with glue or other kinds of support, but if you are unsure, try to replace it.

In the end, graphic cards tend to be expensive, you don't want a worse outcome but a better solution. This is strictly my opinion, maybe wait a bit more, see if the post get different ideas.

Problem with using any type of glue is it will still make the fan be unbalanced so will probably wobble and eventually break again. -- I'd just look for a replacement fan either from the card manufacturer or an aftermarket cooler.

levesque

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Pretty bad, I think, I noticed it by feeling the vibrations on my desk.

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
To detach the wire, you have to take the cover off. I suggest looking in Youtube for a video of your ati 4670 of someone doing it. Is not too complicated, but be careful :p

Does the card have warranty as of yet? if so, just send it for a repair.

levesque

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah, I kinda misplaced the packaging, receipt, etc. ... besides, that'd take too long. :)

will chekc out youtube, thanks.

kiban

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLgG9EKkMFI

The video is essentialy about thermal paste, but serves the purpose on how to open the case. It doesn't really matter the brand of the card, every card has to be opened like that so...

Your card is an ATI hd 4670, manufactured by ASUS, thats why it says ASUS. I didn't mean to confuse you.

So yeah, take the cover off and detach the wire, but from that, I have no idea on what it needs to be done to take the fan out, do a bit of research in google, cos I can't find anything in youtube about that matter.

Solution
Remove the fan and get your self a pci bay fan that uses a standard 4pin molex for power. Place it right up next to the card and that will easily make up for and then some the broken fan. If it has a face plate then remove it. Fixing the fan is a attempt of futility knowing that any imbalance in the fan over a few weeks to months will ruin and remaining life in the bearings. Also look at a after market cooler as they are much easier to install than fixing a damaged fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.