Sign in with
Your question

Building Budget Gaming Pc. Need some help Please

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2011 8:35:08 PM

Hello everybody and thanks in advance to any help I may receive. This is my first post and hopefully it can be an informative one. I just sold my old rig and now I'm going to try my hand at building another one. My budget is 400. Things I don't need are Hard Drive, RAM, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard or Case. I plan on using and old Smilodon(no product#) circa 2003 :o  and buying a good psu instead until I can afford a full size case in the next few months.

Basically I am looking to buy a Cpu, mb, gpu, and psu. I have used the budget 500 dollar pc thread here at toms minus the components I don't need.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...
I have pretty much settled on the AMD Athlon II X3 445 and the ASRock M3A770DE motherboard combo(unless convinced otherwise) because of the price and the asrock has crossfirex in case I decide to go with another gpu in the future.

Which brings me to the graphics card and psu. The Sparkle SXX460768D5UNM GeForce GTX 460 768 MB is what is listed on the thread for 160$ usd. Personally I was thinking a 6850 possibly in a combo with an antec power supply like this combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

This is pretty much my build as of now. I even am within budget for a decent cpu cooler as well.

Can anyone give me an opinion on this? Would going with a cheaper card and running crossfire be a better route? I am going to buy these parts on newegg soon just want a little help deciding.

More about : building budget gaming

January 26, 2011 9:27:21 PM

I strongly recommend an 870 Chipset motherboard for USB 3.0/SATA 6 GB/s. It's not the standard now, but we are already seeing USB 3.0 external drives on the market. I expect in 1 year for USB 3.0 to be the standard for hard drives.

Since I'm at work the image is blocked so I can't see anything. But the 6850 and Antec PSU sound like a very good deal. If it fits within your budget I'd take it.

Also I didn't see an OS listed or an optical drive. Are these needed as well?
m
l
January 26, 2011 9:40:37 PM

What RAM do you have/ if it is from the same era as your case, it might not be compatible with your new motherboard and CPU.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2011 2:19:06 AM

Hi fellas thanks for the help.

@cmcghee358 Is there any motherboard that you would recommend? I would really like to unlock that fourth core on the 445 how do you think this board will do?
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will be installing Windows 7 Home with a flash drive. I will be buying another dvd drive in the future.

@carkjd I bought this two days ago on newegg for $80 with a 15% promotion code and 20 dollar rebate. So after the rebate(assuming I get it) I'm in 48 Dollars for 8gb of ram. Its now back to just over 100 dollars so a steal. I might even try to sell a 4gb stick on Craigslist for 30 bucks and then I'll have 4gb of DDR3 for 18 bucks. :)  :)  :) 

So should I go with the 6840 and power supply combo or should I consider a 460 card instead?
m
l
January 27, 2011 4:28:02 AM

I wouldn't get an open box motherboard. Ever. Also I personally don't ever rely/assume a core will unlock. Furthermore, the success of a core unlocking has more to do with the CPU, than the motherboard. Most AM3 motherboards do have the ability to unlock now, including that one.
m
l
!