Your question

Can someone plz explain this to me?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2011 5:36:53 AM

Why is there such a difference in price between Athlon dual cores and Phenom cores?

They both have dual-cores and about the same GHz, and sometimes the Athlons have more Ghz.

Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

VS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why the difference in price?

More about : plz explain

April 24, 2011 6:38:18 AM

I am not sure, but after checking out the links, the Gigahertz at which the Phenom runs, is higher. The cache is bigger(Athlon=2X 1MB L2 CAHCE/Phenom=6MB). So, the Phenom would be the better CPU.

I'm sorry. Ive always been an Intel oke...
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
April 24, 2011 7:31:55 AM

You need to compare the BENCHMARKS. A different architecture can run more efficiently at the same speed.

Some CPU's are more power efficient. Some can be overclocked better.

When I bought my PC less about 8 months ago the Intel i5-750 could not be touched for the price.
m
l
Related resources
a c 123 à CPUs
April 24, 2011 7:55:28 AM

newer tech, smaller dye, overall better performance per watt. all contribute to higher price of what may look at first as inferior but 1s in the machine will be better.
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
April 24, 2011 12:47:22 PM

When comparing these 2 The Athlon is the older C2 stepping and the Phenom is C3 & has 6Mb L3 cache when the Athlon has none. Better value than either are the Athlon x3s & x4s
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2011 1:00:45 PM

photonboy said:
You need to compare the BENCHMARKS. A different architecture can run more efficiently at the same speed.

Some CPU's are more power efficient. Some can be overclocked better.

When I bought my PC less about 8 months ago the Intel i5-750 could not be touched for the price.

Actually the Athlon II and Phenom II are both the same type of architecture(K10 architecture).They just have differences in cache.
m
l
!