Status
Not open for further replies.

blazer9131

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Hey guys,

Alright, here's the recommended information to provide:

Price Range: 550 with tax and shipping
Date of purchase: ASAP (If GTX580, when I find EVGA/ASUS in stock, if GTX470, now)
Usage: Gaming, Movies (1080p blurays), slight video editing.
Current GPU: new build
Power Supply: Corsair 850W Silver Certified Modular PSU
System specs:

Intel i7-950 (OC'd to 4.2GHz)
ASUS Sabertooth x58 mobo
OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600
Air Cooled CoolerMaster HAF 932 Black Edition

I prefer NVidia, Don't want ATi.

So:

I was thinking of getting a single GTX580 when I was on a 1440 by 900 monitor. Thanks to blackfriday, I got an ASUS 23 inch monitor for 150 (awesome) so that's gonna be 1920 by 1200.. I don't know how well a single GTX580 will handle the resolution, so I was thinking of getting SLI GTX470's instead. Would this be better, or should I get a single GTX580? I might SLi the card in 2 years to keep up with the games.. What do you guys think?

Solution
Similar performance for cheaper? We're talking about more performance for either the same price or cheaper (knowing how ATI prices things).

*sigh*

I'd grab a GTX580. Why? It's always nice to have a single more powerful card that performs 100% in all games rather than have two weaker cards that might not perform 100%.

SLI later if necessary.

I hope you won't regret it.
Honestly I would go for a single GTX580 for the fact that you could go sli at a latter time when they are substantially cheaper than they are now rather than going with sli from the start (very bad idea 90% of the time to side with sli) and you will save power as well have a lower cpu workload than with having two cards. I have gone through a few sli rigs already and it is best to get one decent card from the start and only then going sli as a later upgrade when it is needed.

Similar performance for cheaper? We're talking about more performance for either the same price or cheaper (knowing how ATI prices things).

*sigh*

I'd grab a GTX580. Why? It's always nice to have a single more powerful card that performs 100% in all games rather than have two weaker cards that might not perform 100%.

SLI later if necessary.

I hope you won't regret it.

Solution

blazer9131

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Alright, that seems reasonable. Sorry if I Upset you Shadow, just personal preferences.

I might order the GTX580 from Amazon instead, so it auto-ships once it comes in stock.. The prices are the same and I save on tax.

It's not my money nor my computer, I'm not upset. Like I said, I just hope it isn't something you'll regret. You like nVidia, that's fine with me.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
can i just throw in, i've been running a gtx 280 since they came out on my monitor at 2560x1600 and haven't had any trouble running anything still. itching to go sli with two 460's as i think two cards will be a bonus at this higher resolution, but i don't think you'll have any 'trouble' running at 1920x1200 with either setup. :)

blazer9131

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Yeah... Stocks......

Umm....

*cough*

alright, thanks! hah.

*side-note's sidenote*

Should I buy a 20 buck GPU for my current PC and take the 8800GT and put it in this new build as a dedicated PhyX card?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS