Gigabyte gtx 460 super overclock problem

syg

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hi guys,

I made my purchase recently of my new graphics card and PSU unit. I went with the advice of the shop I bought the card and the PSU from, scan.co.uk. Anyway, I bought the Gigabyte GTX460 super overclocked card, and a 500w Corsair PSU to replace my existing 450w, because the shop assured me that would be enough to power the new card and my PC, etc.

Anyway today after getting everything installed from a qualified technician I started playing a few games to test the new card, obviously expecting it to dramatically out do the gt230 I previously had, and guess what, it didn't and there's some serious issues going on with it, in every game it isn't rendering textures at all sometimes, it doesn't render into the distance at all even on games like Oblivion, etc. It sometimes just goes into one big blurred mess.

The screen also flickers and stutters the games. Everything works fine for like browsing the web, etc, anything that doesn't require too much from the graphics card, but as soon as I play a game it all starts going really wrong.

Now surely the shop wouldn't recommend me a PSU that isn't sufficient enough, but after doing an online test with my overall PC specifications I was advised a PSU for at least 585w, so I'm hoping the problem lies within the PSU and that if I change to a 600w model that the problem should be fixed, would that make sense and could this be the case?

My computers specs are as follows:

HP Pavillion Elite 063
i7 860 2.8 ghz
8 GB ram
2x TB Hard Drive
Windows 7 64 bit home premium

I'm really, really disappointed and upset, and so frustrated because this shouldn't be happening and I should be getting very good performance from this card as it is capable of some pretty high end graphics. I would appreciate anybodies help greatly.

Do you think I have been advised wrong and have ended up buying a too low of a watt PSU?

P.S: Everything is all installed correctly hardware and software wise, the latest drivers, etc. There is also no overheating issues as the system is at a very low temperature and the graphics card has its own heatsink, and 2 fans, etc. Also, the other thing is, the graphics card says on it clearly 500w PSU minimum! so surely either way only having a 500w to power that card and the whole system is pushing it?

You got a bad card from the start or the idiot damaged the card while installing it. I don' trust people when it comes to computers and will be the same way when I get a new truck.

I have the same card and they can be flaky like other GTX460 cards so RMA this card for a replacement ASAP. I am running mine of a 550w antec that is more heavily loaded than you unit and no troubles but you can check the volts to see if you have a bad unit. During load if they are low (less than 11.5 or worse) and fluctuating through out the gaming session to ware it is making the system unstable than the unit is bad.

syg

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hey mate,

Thank you for the super quick reply, how do I check what you are saying though, it's new to me ya see. I'll be able to do it if you briefly tell me how.

What card would you advise, because I'm going to be sending these things back first thing Monday.

My budget was £230, for that I got a PSU and the card. So I have about £170 for a card.

Im upset at it because from what I saw, the GTX 460 can produce some nice graphics and my systems good, so I'm so confused lol and really angry to be honest haha

Thanks again

There is a fair share of software utilities that can check system volts and temps while you can check your self in bios or with a voltmeter manually. the yellow wire is the 12v but most units have the 12v main rail split inter several rails with ovp an ocp enabled so it is possible to have low volts/apms on one while the other can be a different story.

notty22

Distinguished
I agree , the card is probably bad. But didn't' this tech check anything after the install, if you can assume and tell us everything was done right , hardware and software.
I don't think its a psu problem at all.
I would try uninstalling the drivers / reboot and install the latest drivers from Nvidia.
Is it possible, the fellow figured he was replacing a nvidia with a nvidia and took a shortcut and did not do this ?

syg

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply :0)

Hmmm, he did seem to make a point of not removing the existing drivers first, and he did specifically ask what you're sayin, am I replacing nvidia with nvidia he said.

I'll try what you've said and if that doesn't work do you think I should get a replacement? I have seven days to get one.

So from what I am saying, you think it definitely sounds like the card itself has problems due to the rendering problems, etc?

syg

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Call Of Duty Black Ops reading from this program below, if this helps?

Can anything be told on there whats going on and if the card is dodgy.

73u.png

32g.png

syg

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Right all the drivers are fine and re-installed with the latest versions, and the problem is still occurring.

Are the correct leads plugged into the graphics card somebody was saying? The leads going from the Corsair PSU to the Graphics card are the 2 leads which say PCI-E on each of them, are they the right ones, and will the right power go from the PSU through them?

The Only reason to have it installed by a qualified TECH that you are paying is so if there are problems like you are encountering you take it back to them and make them fix it ! -- If it is not performing properly then they should have to use their time to troubleshoot it and ensure that everything is correct and functioning properly or deal with replacing parts/installing new drivers etc. as needed to get it performing properly (after all that is what you paid them for ! - and Trying to do so yourself should not be required and May also void any warranty you have from them since you are tinkering with it !) --- Take it back to them and show them the problem and have them deal with it.

notty22

Distinguished
I agree with JD,
also while waiting, you could uninstall, run driversweeper this time in case there is remnants of the 310 card in there, then reinstall the newest Nvidia driver.
You could try downclocking the memory to 900mhz to see if that fixes the artifacting as well, but that would defeat the purpose of paying for the o/c card and all this troubleshooting should have been done by the paid installer.
But you could learn things by doing whats mentioned.