Help...extremely loud cpu fan but temps are ok!

akib10

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
recently i upgraded my cpu & mobo to AMD athlon !!X4 640+MSI 760gm p33.....but my cpu fan is 'killing' me
it is extremely loud even in idle.in idle core temperatures are 22-23C but fan is spining around 4200 rpm...after installing gfx card idle temps increased to 25C and cpu fan around 5200rpm......
i tested it with prime95 to see the max temperature..i found core temps max 51C but the fan 5300-5800+ rpm(horribly loud)...
I am very confused.....Is there any chance that my power supply is causing this??? or the fan itself is faulty?
it's not mobo related as i already replaced it to test....
my full rig
cpu:AMD athlon !!X4 640
mobo:MSI 760gm p33
GPU:gigabyte hd 5670 1gb ddr5
ram:4gb ddr3
PSU:gigabyte superb 460W
any help is greatly appreciated thnx..........

Solution
You need to enter you BIOS and enable/adjust your SmartFan settings in the h/w Monitor menu. Problem solved.

I would also recommend removing the 'Auto' setting for your CPU VCore. 'Auto' tends to over-volt the processor (and motherboard, for that matter) unnecessarily, further driving your temps, and therefore fan speeds, higher.

You need to enter you BIOS and enable/adjust your SmartFan settings in the h/w Monitor menu. Problem solved.

I would also recommend removing the 'Auto' setting for your CPU VCore. 'Auto' tends to over-volt the processor (and motherboard, for that matter) unnecessarily, further driving your temps, and therefore fan speeds, higher.

Solution
check the fan for a bent/warped blade amd fans tend to be no louder than an average case fan (37db) at max my old 4600x2 and 6000x2 weren't particularly noisey, but as others have said get a 3rd party cooler. i used a zalman 9500a led. on my old athlon and got great temps and it was well worth the 18 pounds total for ocuk. fact is its still in my old system in my m8's living room and his wife never complains about it being noisey... which as you will know or find out is rare. ;)

wisecracker has a valid point. amd boards do overcompensate with very generous voltages at auto settings. you should be able to drop .2-.4 of a volt and still be stable.

akib10

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

hi thanks....
i went to the bios and got SmartFan disabled...SO what are the target temperature/minimum fan speed % you recommend???
and how to manually set cpu vcore in my mobo[ msi 760gm p33]?

It varies from build to build - and even room temps - so yah have to test around a little bit.

I essentially pick some settings that are WAY too low on the low/high end and monitor for noise and temps --- then pick some that are WAY too high on the low/high end.

Then you can normally find your best sweet spot in the middle, for your own personal noise/temps that you prefer.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Well i usually look for 5 to 10 above room temperature but as room temperature approaches 45C or 113F id not want my mb or cpu to be above that ( rarely ever expect to see that in room temps but some folk have them in cabinets). At 50C ( 122F) to 60C you can just bearily stand it before you get 1st degree burns.
But most people i know don't care, just use the stock coolers and things run as usual.

If the noise annoys you can you can always put noise minimizing things on the fan mounts. I have used rubber/silicon fan mounts , and spring washers. They really work come as standard for aftermarket coolers. If you really want to get rid of the noise, put in a water cooler but it is pricey.