First Build, No POST

ceyers

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Put everything in place and plugged everything in, turned on my computer for the first time with little happening. The fans all turned on the green LED indicating it got power turned on. The DRAM_LED/MemOK was blinking red. (No beeping).

When I took the memory out the speaker beeped once long and twice short indicating there was no memory. When I replace the ram and power on again the above happens but nothing else.

The ram isn't listed as one being compatible in the manual although I don't know why mine would be incompatible. I believe the issue is the ram because if I take out the monitor the speaker doesn't beep idicating no monitor. According the manual the blinking red indicates the mobo is testing the ram but I let it run for 20 mins with nothing changing. I also tried doing the same with only one stick of RAM but that didn't seem to do anything differenetly. The manual also claims that if the light turns solid red it means the ram is incompatible, which has not happened (only blinking). Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

MOBO: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=51007&vpn=M4A89GTD%20PRO%2FUSB3&manufacture=ASUS

RAM: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=44264&vpn=F3%2D10666CL9D%2D8GBRL&manufacture=G%2ESkill

After looking at both the ram and the motherboard it would appear that the ram is not compatable with that motherboard but I can't be totally sure about that. Have you tried putting one stick of ram in the first slot closest to the cpu and then try the other one the same way. Then try the second slot with one then the other.

technonaut505

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Have you tried the Ram one at a time... a bad stick isn't all too uncommon. Also, I you sure you placed the RAM into the correct slots. There is no industry standard for were the memory needs to be slotted... sometimes first stick is in A1 near the CPU, sometimes it is A4 near the edge of the MOBO, the slotting order is always listed in the MOBO manual.

ceyers

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Ya I tired and that's actually how I figured out my problem. Turns out the ram wasn't completely in, it clipped in on the one side but not the other so since the ram was only partially in so the motherboard kept saying that it was testing it. Stupid rookie mistake but at least I got it working :D.