Sign in with
Your question

New workstation PC(~$1500)

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2011 2:27:14 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week (the earlier the better)

Budget Range: ~$1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: programming (python/c++/java etc -- algorithms that take quite a bit of processing), web/print design, photo editing (photoshop/lightroom), might dabble in some basic 3d stuff. lots of multitasking. unlikely to play games

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Leaning to no, but maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Additional Comments: My biggest question mark is the gpu. Was considering using the onboard graphics of the 2600k w/ h67 motherboard. Would the addition of a gpu be worth it, and if so what would you recommend? Other than that, just looking for general compatibility/quality comments and any ideas on suitable upgrades or if I'm missing something.

Here is what I'm thinking right now:

Mobo/CPU combo:
1 x Intel Core i7 2600 Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB
1 x Gigabyte P67A-UD3P ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3 3PCI-E1 2PCI 1PCI-E16 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0
($499.99)

HD:
Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3GBPS 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM ($89.99)

SSD (for OS/APPS):
Kingston SSDNow V100 Series 128GB 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive ($179.99)

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory ($100.35)

PSU:
Seasonic X-400FL ATX 12V 24PIN 400W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Fanless Power Supply

Case:
Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case 2X5.25 8X3.5INT No PS Front USB

GPU: ???

Total (w/out GPU): $1,133.29

Thanks in advance.

More about : workstation 1500

January 27, 2011 2:32:32 AM

I saw you posted a similar thread, so rather than start my own I am going to tack mine on, if that is ok.

Here is my situation, being tech savvy (but obviously not in this domain) my girlfriend has asked me to build her an autocad workstation. I am used to building gaming machines and cheapo machines, but nothing in between or to the side, so I feel a little out of my domain. Based on what I have (and could get) here are some components that should be taken as givens.

H57 Mobo with a Core i5 2500k CPU (3.3 ghz)
8gb of ddr3 1333 non-ecc ram
F3 spinpoint HD

Now here is where I get stuck. My gf is a furniture designer and uses cad to model her work and sometimes send it off to the CNC machines to get cut out. She seems to mostly work in wireframes, but they are 3 dimensional, and I am sure she would like the option of rendering them. I think I can get a copy of autocad 2010 or 11 (anyone have any thoughts about whether the extra money is worth 11?) so let us take it as a given that the budget for this project is already over drawn. The problem is that I don't have a graphics card yet. Intel 3000 graphics are pretty solid and will beat out a radeon 5550, but the world of workstation graphics seems to be a different beast. How important in the graphics card for this type of application given the burliness of the CPU? Will a mainstream card work, or do I really need the workstation version for 5-8 times as much? Anyone have any luck softmodding cards? Anyone have any benchmarks for autocad?

Thanks.
m
l
!