Tecra 730CDT hangs after a few minutes of network activity

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 9, 2005 4:58:03 PM

My newly-acquired mint Tecra 730CDT freezes after a few minutes of network
activity, either local or Internet. The laptop has 144M of memory and runs
W2KSP4 with no other known problems. Ipconfig/all looks OK -- before the
freeze. BIOS is v 5.70, apparently the latest, back then. I suspect a
conflict involving the 32-bit NetGear CardBus adapter. At least three other
people have posted reports of similar behavior. One mentioned trying several
different brands of adapters without success and another said the problem
first appeared with a new Linux kernel; he attributed it to a PCI conflict.

Can 32-bit CardBus adapters interface with a 16-bit port? The BIOS says the
CardBus port is 16-bit, but the NetGear adapter is labeled 32-bit.

Device Manager doesn't show any conflicts, although it does shows two
Toshiba CardBus controllers (there are two slots) that use PCI and I'm
thinking about disabling one.

The problem looks generic and I wondered if anyone could comment on the
above ideas or suggest another generic solution.

TomC
March 9, 2005 7:15:05 PM

When I disabled one of the CardBus controllers, it took longer for the
computer to hang - 5 minutes instead of one - but it did hang.

Next I'll try the other pair.

TomC

"TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My newly-acquired mint Tecra 730CDT freezes after a few minutes of network
> activity, either local or Internet. The laptop has 144M of memory and runs
> W2KSP4 with no other known problems. Ipconfig/all looks OK -- before the
> freeze. BIOS is v 5.70, apparently the latest, back then. I suspect a
> conflict involving the 32-bit NetGear CardBus adapter. At least three
other
> people have posted reports of similar behavior. One mentioned trying
several
> different brands of adapters without success and another said the problem
> first appeared with a new Linux kernel; he attributed it to a PCI
conflict.

> Can 32-bit CardBus adapters interface with a 16-bit port? The BIOS says
the
> CardBus port is 16-bit, but the NetGear adapter is labeled 32-bit.
>
> Device Manager doesn't show any conflicts, although it does shows two
> Toshiba CardBus controllers (there are two slots) that use PCI and I'm
> thinking about disabling one.
>
> The problem looks generic and I wondered if anyone could comment on the
> above ideas or suggest another generic solution.
>
> TomC

March 10, 2005 2:16:33 AM

I've tried two more pairs of controllers and card slots. They all hang,
although the time required varies, seemingly randomly. One sure way to hang
the system is to use the local network to move a large file into the laptop.
That will lock it up.

So my question comes down to: how do you get a working Ethernet connection
with a 730CDT under Windows 2000?

Suggestions will be appreciated.

> When I disabled one of the CardBus controllers, it took longer for the
> computer to hang - 5 minutes instead of one - but it did hang.
>
> Next I'll try the other pair.
>
> TomC
>

> "TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > My newly-acquired mint Tecra 730CDT freezes after a few minutes of
network
> > activity, either local or Internet. The laptop has 144M of memory and
runs
> > W2KSP4 with no other known problems. Ipconfig/all looks OK -- before the
> > freeze. BIOS is v 5.70, apparently the latest, back then. I suspect a
> > conflict involving the 32-bit NetGear CardBus adapter. At least three
> other
> > people have posted reports of similar behavior. One mentioned trying
> several
> > different brands of adapters without success and another said the
problem
> > first appeared with a new Linux kernel; he attributed it to a PCI
> conflict.
> >
> > Can 32-bit CardBus adapters interface with a 16-bit port? The BIOS says
> the
> > CardBus port is 16-bit, but the NetGear adapter is labeled 32-bit.
> >
> > Device Manager doesn't show any conflicts, although it does shows two
> > Toshiba CardBus controllers (there are two slots) that use PCI and I'm
> > thinking about disabling one.
> >
> > The problem looks generic and I wondered if anyone could comment on the
> > above ideas or suggest another generic solution.
> >
> > TomC

a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 2:16:34 AM

TomC wrote:
> I've tried two more pairs of controllers and card slots. They all
> hang, although the time required varies, seemingly randomly. One sure
> way to hang the system is to use the local network to move a large
> file into the laptop. That will lock it up.
>
> So my question comes down to: how do you get a working Ethernet
> connection with a 730CDT under Windows 2000?
>
> Suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> TomC
>

> "TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> When I disabled one of the CardBus controllers, it took longer for
>> the computer to hang - 5 minutes instead of one - but it did hang.
>>
>> Next I'll try the other pair.
>>
>> TomC
>>

>> "TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> My newly-acquired mint Tecra 730CDT freezes after a few minutes of
>>> network activity, either local or Internet. The laptop has 144M of
>>> memory and runs W2KSP4 with no other known problems. Ipconfig/all
>>> looks OK -- before the freeze. BIOS is v 5.70, apparently the
>>> latest, back then. I suspect a conflict involving the 32-bit
>>> NetGear CardBus adapter. At least three other people have posted
>>> reports of similar behavior. One mentioned trying several different
>>> brands of adapters without success and another said the problem
>>> first appeared with a new Linux kernel; he attributed it to a PCI
>>> conflict.
>>>
>>> Can 32-bit CardBus adapters interface with a 16-bit port? The BIOS
>>> says the CardBus port is 16-bit, but the NetGear adapter is labeled
>>> 32-bit.
>>>
>>> Device Manager doesn't show any conflicts, although it does shows
>>> two Toshiba CardBus controllers (there are two slots) that use PCI
>>> and I'm thinking about disabling one.
>>>
>>> The problem looks generic and I wondered if anyone could comment on
>>> the above ideas or suggest another generic solution.
>>>
>>> TomC

Have you tried a 16 bit ethernet adapter?

March 10, 2005 10:54:04 PM

I'll try to locate one.

I misunderstood that the BIOS screen was telling me with "CardBus/16 bit."
The slash meant "or." This what the maker of the adapter says:
Most laptops after 1999 have CardBus slots. CardBus slots are backwards
compatible, they accept either CardBus cards (32-bit) or PCMCIA cards
(16-bit). However, a PC slot (16-bit) can only accept 16-bit PCMCIA Cards.

From surfing the MS Knowledge Base and the Toshiba support site, I learned
that CardBus cards were often associated with making computers unresponsive,
at least in the early days. But I didn't find anything specific to my
situation.

I would appreciate ideas on what is the most reliable 16-bit adapter.
TomC
> TomC wrote:
> > I've tried two more pairs of controllers and card slots. They all
> > hang, although the time required varies, seemingly randomly. One sure
> > way to hang the system is to use the local network to move a large
> > file into the laptop. That will lock it up.
> >
> > So my question comes down to: how do you get a working Ethernet
> > connection with a 730CDT under Windows 2000?
> >
> > Suggestions will be appreciated.
> >
> > TomC
> >

> > "TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> When I disabled one of the CardBus controllers, it took longer for
> >> the computer to hang - 5 minutes instead of one - but it did hang.
> >>
> >> Next I'll try the other pair.
> >>
> >> TomC
> >>

> >> "TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Have you tried a 16 bit ethernet adapter?

March 11, 2005 3:06:03 AM

That appears to be it: The 730CDT wasn't ready for Cardbus. A Xircom RE-100
is working fine. So if someone reports that they get random hangs with their
Toshiba laptop, maybe they should remove the CardBus accessory and step
back to the PCIC.

Thanks, Quaoar. I would have figured that out in another few days.

> I'll try to locate one.
>
> I misunderstood that the BIOS screen was telling me with "CardBus/16 bit."
> The slash meant "or." This what the maker of the adapter says:
> Most laptops after 1999 have CardBus slots. CardBus slots are backwards
> compatible, they accept either CardBus cards (32-bit) or PCMCIA cards
> (16-bit). However, a PC slot (16-bit) can only accept 16-bit PCMCIA Cards.
>
> From surfing the MS Knowledge Base and the Toshiba support site, I learned
> that CardBus cards were often associated with making computers
unresponsive,
> at least in the early days. But I didn't find anything specific to my
> situation.
>
> I would appreciate ideas on what is the most reliable 16-bit adapter.
> TomC
> > TomC wrote:
> > > I've tried two more pairs of controllers and card slots. They all
> > > hang, although the time required varies, seemingly randomly. One sure
> > > way to hang the system is to use the local network to move a large
> > > file into the laptop. That will lock it up.
> > >
> > > So my question comes down to: how do you get a working Ethernet
> > > connection with a 730CDT under Windows 2000?
> > >
> > > Suggestions will be appreciated.
> > >
> > > TomC
> > >

> > > "TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Have you tried a 16 bit ethernet adapter?

a b D Laptop
March 11, 2005 3:28:19 AM

TomC wrote:
> That appears to be it: The 730CDT wasn't ready for Cardbus. A Xircom
> RE-100 is working fine. So if someone reports that they get random
> hangs with their Toshiba laptop, maybe they should remove the CardBus
> accessory and step back to the PCIC.
>
> Thanks, Quaoar. I would have figured that out in another few days.
>
> TomC.
> "TomC" <tecoatesHatesSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'll try to locate one.
>>
>> I misunderstood that the BIOS screen was telling me with "CardBus/16
>> bit." The slash meant "or." This what the maker of the adapter says:
>> Most laptops after 1999 have CardBus slots. CardBus slots are
>> backwards compatible, they accept either CardBus cards (32-bit) or
>> PCMCIA cards (16-bit). However, a PC slot (16-bit) can only accept
>> 16-bit PCMCIA Cards.
>>
>> From surfing the MS Knowledge Base and the Toshiba support site, I
>> learned that CardBus cards were often associated with making
>> computers unresponsive, at least in the early days. But I didn't
>> find anything specific to my situation.
>>
>> I would appreciate ideas on what is the most reliable 16-bit adapter.
>> TomC
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>>> Have you tried a 16 bit ethernet adapter?

You are welcome.