Sign in with
Your question

Optiplex GX620 cooling issues

Last response: in Components
April 24, 2011 6:21:56 PM

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX620. I went through the issues with the noisy fan sounding like a jet engine taking off while I'm watching anything on Netflix. To make a long story short, I basically cleaned all of the dust out of it, the fan had been pulling dust into the unit and spraying it on the motherboard, so I turned the fan around. Cleaning and turning the fan around solved that issue with the noise.

I'm wanting to add a PCI/expansion slot fan, but I can't seem to locate one that I think will fit. I'm trying to avoid doing the buy/exchange dance with online retailers, so I thought I'd pose a question and see if anyone had suggestions for fans that would fit into this units SFF case available slot.

I'm running Windows XP, Pentium D, with a Radeon HD3450.

Definitely not running loud anymore, but I still want to add a bit more cooling!

Thanks in advance for any help!

a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 4:24:16 AM

Hello, and welcome to THG.

I would actually get a new back-end fan if I were you. something that will pull more air out with less noise.

May I recommend you look at newegg?

www.newegg.com/
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 4:38:01 AM

somewherein72 said:
I've got a Dell Optiplex GX620. I went through the issues with the noisy fan sounding like a jet engine taking off while I'm watching anything on Netflix. To make a long story short, I basically cleaned all of the dust out of it, the fan had been pulling dust into the unit and spraying it on the motherboard, so I turned the fan around. Cleaning and turning the fan around solved that issue with the noise.

I'm wanting to add a PCI/expansion slot fan, but I can't seem to locate one that I think will fit. I'm trying to avoid doing the buy/exchange dance with online retailers, so I thought I'd pose a question and see if anyone had suggestions for fans that would fit into this units SFF case available slot.

I'm running Windows XP, Pentium D, with a Radeon HD3450.

Definitely not running loud anymore, but I still want to add a bit more cooling!

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have an Dell Optiplex 745 Slim (low profile) Desktop
and went through the same thing
I OCd the CPU in the tower so I wanted to add extra cooling
trying to find a low profile PCI slot fan isnt easy
I just used what I had around the shop (I refurb towers-lots of scrap towers laying around)

A neat trick is to get 1 inch two sided velcro strips
they have sticky tape on them
I used some 60-80 mm fans (intel and coolermaster brushless and ball bearing fans from older stock HSFs)
I removed one PCI blank and then use the velcro tape to stick the fan blowing out of the case between my
soundcard and video card
I also velcro'd one across the northbridge heatsink and it helps to move air off of CPU also and
blows out back of case

I use the velcro since I can remove easily and also it is non-conductive
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 9:27:48 AM

Antec Super Cyclone Blower, fits in PCI expansion slot and exhaust heat out, connects via standard molex.
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 3:54:19 PM

das_stig said:
Antec Super Cyclone Blower, fits in PCI expansion slot and exhaust heat out, connects via standard molex.

is it low profile?
!