Sign in with
Your question

New laptop has poor wireless signal on existing network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 24, 2010 1:26:05 PM

Hi

I have just bought a new Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 netbook for use round the house and on holidays etc. For the first couple of days of use the connectivity to my home network was fine, but recently it has started to only pick up an internet connection when very close to the router.

I have Sky broadband and so am stuck with the router that they supplied to me, I think its a black netgear one but not 100% as i'm not at home at the moment. I'm not bad with computers normally but this has stumped me for some reason. My PC connects to the network fine from the other side of the house.

The netbook always "sees" my home network when I do a scan, and occasionally it will connect with limited access, and even rarer still will sometime pick up an internet connection. Most of the time however, it will just attempt to connect with no luck.

Is there anything I can do to make my netbook connect without sitting right next to my router.

Thank you in advance
Anonymous
September 24, 2010 4:09:38 PM

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
September 24, 2010 4:33:17 PM

Thank you. I will try those things tonight.

But what is confusing me is my desktop has absolutely no problem connecting but when my netbook is in the same room with me it doesn't connect...?
September 24, 2010 4:34:56 PM

Oh and it is a 802.11g rated router and wi-fi receiver in the netbook
!