Failure trying to upgrade CPU - Gigabyte GA-8SIMLP

rlg65

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I'm trying to upgrade from 1.7 GHz Celeron to Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0 GHZ.
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-8SIMLP Rev. 2.0

Shortly after Windows XP SP3 loads the mouse and keyboard lockup. No more control. I sent the Pentium back and got a replacement, but the problem remains.

BIOS is the latest, Memtest86+ says memory is good, voltages and temperature are good. (Memtest86+ runs OK from Ultimate Boot CD with Pentium installed.)

It also locks up as Ubuntu Live CD (Linux) is loading.

Remove the Pentium and reinstall the Celeron and everything is just fine. The board is rated up to 2.2 GHz Pentium 4.
Any ideas?

rlg65

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the reply's. I had to update the BIOS in order to increase my memory to 2GB. If I clear the CMOS won't this undo my BIOS upgrade?
(Might be a stupid question)

rlg65

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I'm not sure if I successfully reset the CMOS.
There was no choice in BIOS that I could find.
The manual is a little flakey and not sure which pins to short.
Removed the battery for about 15 mins but that might not be long enough.
Put the battery back in and shorted two pins but the machine would not power on until the short was removed.
After power on I shorted them again and the power immediately shut off.

At startup my screen told me the BIOS version was the same as before. It also had a message that the BIOS checksum had changed and I should go into BIOS setup and make my settings.

Did that and was able to run in safe mode but not in normal Win XP.
Ubuntu would not load - locked up.
All this was done with one stick of my original slower RAM (DDR 26) 512 MB.
The trouble with the pin shorting is there are 3 other pins right next to the 3 that I think are the correct ones.
At a loss at the moment. Using my other computer for this message.

rlg65

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Now I'm in a fine pickle. I'm locked up while trying to flash the BIOS. A message is displayed warning me not to reset or power down but it is locked up. I was trying to load the original BIOS from floppy that was there before my memory upgrade.
I should of put the Celeron back in before attempting the BIOS change.

rlg65

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
There was nothing wrong with the Pentium, remember that this is the second one I've tried.
Currently - I had to power down and now there is no BIOS. My computer is waiting for an operating system from Floppy Drive A:

It' like a time warp and we're back in 1982 or '83 or something.

I've removed the battery and will wait at least 2 hrs. There will be a default BIOS then right?

rlg65

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Ok I powered on with battery out and still waiting for floppy drive a:

The screen says:

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Award Software Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

---------------------------------------------------------
Don't worry too much. Everything that's important is backed up on a USB IDE drive.
This machine is close to 10 yrs old and maybe I'll replace it or get an up to date motherboard & CPU.

rlg65

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Well I broke it. Tried to flash an older version of BIOS, but the Pentium was in there and locked up. Board is useless now.
The good news is I've ordered a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H motherboard, AMD Athlon II X2 3.4 GHz dual core, 4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz, Antec EA-380D 380 W power supply and a SATA DVD-RW.

Cost? $38.

I'm returning an unworn jacket that has a color that sucks and will get a refund of $262. The equipment costs $300 so the net expense is only $38.

This board will have dual BIOS, USB 3.0, 6 eSATA, DVI, HDMI, floppy header, and an IDE header (wont' have to replace my hard drives).

Very happy.