laptop is switching to batteries even when plugged in....

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2005 4:51:38 PM

I am having a very strange problem with my Toshiba laptop right now.
When the laptop is turned off and the power supply plugged in, the
battery receives a charge and will charge up to full. When i turn my
laptop on, for the first 3-4 minutes it will run on AC power then just
automatically switch to batteries and ignore that the laptop is still
plugged in. The adapter works just fine with my other laptop so I
cannot figure out what is causing this and hoping there is some
incorrect setting somewhere that is telling the laptop to switch to
batteries after a few minutes or something.

any help is greatly appreciated!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2005 5:31:26 PM

just wanted to add in here that if i take the battery right out of the
laptop, the front plug led green light comes on when plugged in, and
will power on and boot into the BIOS with no problems. The laptop will
stay on for as long as I let it sit at the BIOS without shutting off.
After I exit the BIOS to resume booting into windows, the laptop will
shutoff just after it begins to iniate loading windows. So, if i put
the battery back in, it will boot up normally into windows then run at
full power (on AC) for only a couple minutes then just switch back to
batteries...even though the plug led is still lit up, indicating that
the laptop itself is plugged in.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2005 11:28:12 PM

kurrent@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having a very strange problem with my Toshiba laptop right now.
> When the laptop is turned off and the power supply plugged in, the
> battery receives a charge and will charge up to full. When i turn my
> laptop on, for the first 3-4 minutes it will run on AC power then just
> automatically switch to batteries and ignore that the laptop is still
> plugged in. The adapter works just fine with my other laptop so I
> cannot figure out what is causing this and hoping there is some
> incorrect setting somewhere that is telling the laptop to switch to
> batteries after a few minutes or something.
>
> any help is greatly appreciated!

I suspect the AC adapter is failing under load. When in BIOS setup,
there is no load. When booting into the OS, the laptop requires more
power, and the AC adapter fails to supply at the correct voltage and the
power board switches to battery. Battery charging is within the load
capability of the adapter.

a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2005 2:21:27 AM

<kurrent@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having a very strange problem with my Toshiba laptop right now.
> When the laptop is turned off and the power supply plugged in, the
> battery receives a charge and will charge up to full. When i turn my
> laptop on, for the first 3-4 minutes it will run on AC power then just
> automatically switch to batteries and ignore that the laptop is still
> plugged in. The adapter works just fine with my other laptop so I
> cannot figure out what is causing this and hoping there is some
> incorrect setting somewhere that is telling the laptop to switch to
> batteries after a few minutes or something.
>
> any help is greatly appreciated!

More like your power connection is weak. Or somthink! Or maybe the pixies
are playing tricks.

I'll get me coat!

**SS**
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2005 8:16:00 AM

On 9 Mar 2005 13:51:38 -0800, kurrent@gmail.com wrote:

:>I am having a very strange problem with my Toshiba laptop right now.
:>When the laptop is turned off and the power supply plugged in, the
:>battery receives a charge and will charge up to full. When i turn my
:>laptop on, for the first 3-4 minutes it will run on AC power then just
:>automatically switch to batteries and ignore that the laptop is still
:>plugged in. The adapter works just fine with my other laptop so I
:>cannot figure out what is causing this and hoping there is some
:>incorrect setting somewhere that is telling the laptop to switch to
:>batteries after a few minutes or something.
:>
:>any help is greatly appreciated!

You don't say what model you have but your symptoms are very common on the
A60 and A70 series. It is caused by a bad battery which is some cases
damages the power supply on the system board. In most cases replacing the
battery fixes the problem. However, in your case, you say it won't even
work with the battery removed so you're most likely also looking at a system
board replacement. Apparently there was a bad batch of primarily 4300mah
batteries produced for those 2 models. I've seen a lot of those 2 models
with that issue over the last couple of months and in almost every case
they've had the 4300mah batteries.

Good luck,
me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2005 12:24:04 PM

Hi, thanks for your guys' feedback. I have tried a different adapter
and the problem still arises. The model number of my Toshiba is infact
an A70. When you say system board replacement, do you mean replacing
the whole motherboard inside? I have had this laptop for 1 year and not
sure about my warranty after 1 year so I believe I may be out of luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2005 4:13:56 PM

Well, I think I have figured out the problem...using the toshiba power
management utility, i tried lowering the screen brightness and cpu
power to mendium...and voila, the laptop runs from AC power and charges
the battery simultaneously. When I plug my mouse in, the laptop failed
to run off AC power and switced to batteries again...so i lowered the
screen brightness and cpu power to 'low' and voila, it worked again
with the mouse plugged in. So I believe my problem is definitely a
faulty adapter that is not giving out enough charge for my laptop, and
am going to seek a factory replacement for it now.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b ) Power supply
March 16, 2005 4:53:06 PM

"Kurrent" <kurrent@gmail.com> wrote in news:1110489236.855424.165070
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> So I believe my problem is definitely a
> faulty adapter that is not giving out enough charge for my laptop, and
> am going to seek a factory replacement for it now.

but wait - didn't you just post that a different adapter gave you the same
result?
!