Please Help with RAM problem!!!

styga

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey guys I have isolated the problem with my ram being is that for some reason they are only coming up as 4 GB per stick rather than the 8 GB they actually are. Using G.skill RAM 2x 8 GB sticks, Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 mobo. If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Post the exact Model Number of the RAM.
Isn't that the Gigabyte GA-990FX 'A' -UD3 mobo?
The MSL (Memory Support List) or QVL seems to support only one 8GB module , and that is Samsungs M378B1G73AHO. Though the RAM Model number would still be appreciated.
Other information that maybe asked for is What CPU and PSU?
ANy changes that you made in the BIOS?
Has this been happening from the very first moment or did it recently start?
Have you checked in the BIOS as to the Installed RAM?
Which slots have you populated on the Board?

Ok, now I want you to tell me again, are you using the Slots that are side by side or are you using alternate slots? Since you haven't mentioned the name of the slots, which are DDR3_1,DDR3_3,DDR3_2 & DDR3_4 and are precisely in that order. Starting from the outer edge towards the CPU.

Since the BIOS itself is showing only half of the total memory available.
Or Do you have a 4GB stick lying around?
Another thing would be to try just one Mem Stick at a time and see if it shows up to it's full capacity in the BIOS.
Check and let me know again with just one stick in Slot DDR3_1.
Try them both one at a time and check in the BIOS for each ones shown capacity.

Or then Finally, you're left with no other option but to test the RAM sticks in another rig....

styga

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I think I am rather dumb because it might have come as a kit thus meaning that they are 2 4gb sticks to = 8 gb overall, although the confusing matter is that each stick says 8 gb on the stick itself